THE PLAYOFF PUSH

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: THE PLAYOFF PUSH

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:Honest questions: Do we want to make the playoffs? Do we have any chance against San Antonio or Oklahoma City in the first round?
If you asked the question before the first game, I could see the point in 'competing' for Wiggins and the likes, but the way things have gone, if we end up just out of the playoffs, the only positive thing is a better pick, and that's not enough to me.

Can we get destroyed in 4 or 5? Certainly, but I want to find out what the current squad can do when it really matters. It also happens that this team has played his best basketball against some of the top teams in the L, like the Thunder, Clippers, Pacers or Rockets so I can buy the idea that in theory we are not exactly the Hawks against the Heat.

There are many question this franchise will have to answer next summer. Bledsoe, PJ Tucker, the Morrii extensions, Frye's player option, etc, and I can't be convinced that playoff performance is anything but a major factor, Jerome James Syndrome notwithstanding.

So at this point, if I can choose, I don't want to go into this summer in the dark, while the impending decisions can end up shaping in no small part the next years of the franchise.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Mori Chu wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:Honest questions: Do we want to make the playoffs? Do we have any chance against San Antonio or Oklahoma City in the first round?

I've never been much of a believer in fighting to get into the playoffs only to get bounced in 5 or 6 games. I know we see the occasional major first round upset, but I don't know how much value comes from those extra first round games when the upset doesn't happen.
I guess my take on it is, what's the point of getting the #14 pick? It won't be very good. I have faith that we can acquire talent in other ways. I'd rather see our guys go to the playoffs and get a little taste of what that's like. I want this team to win and be successful. They're good enough to make it and the experience would do a lot of them good. It will remind them of how they need to be better next year and what the real competition is.
The fan in me wants them to make the playoffs because I think the players deserve it. This team is one of the bigger surprises in NBA history relative to preseason predictions and I think the playoffs would be a nice reward for their effort all season. Getting some playoff reps in can only help their development as well.

However, you should take a look at the players taken with either the 14th or 15th pick over the last 5 or so seasons. A lot of really good players taken in that slot.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mavs play Utah tonight. They should win, of course. But hey, any game with DAL or MEM in it gets my full box-score attention.

Big Jake Little Jake

Post by Big Jake Little Jake »

I wonder if a quality free agent would be more likely to come here if we had a good showing in the playoffs rather than missing out. Something to consider at least.

I also wonder if everyone's price (Bledsoe, PJ, Morris Bros) goes up if we make the playoffs and put up a good fight.

I guess there are just too many variables to worry about, so I'd rather just enjoy them making the playoffs with a chance to steal a few games. Plus I really miss the Suns being in the playoffs. We should just enjoy what we have now because who knows what could happen in the off season.

JeffreyLee

Post by JeffreyLee »

I like our chances against the Thunder or Spurs. I think we can atleast but up a fun series to watch even if we lose.
You sold me two quier giraffes

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:Plus I'll be there, and we haven't won with me in attendance in a while.

(Sorry.)
Not with that attitude! Buck up, son! We need a win!

Give me 10 push ups, soldier!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sunsfan4life wrote:The Pelican scares the crap out of me
My perspective.
Well, you are Flagrant Fowl after all.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I don't give two shits about how making or missing the playoffs affects our draft pick. We just play to win whatever the outcome. McDonough and Hornacek have quickly developed a winning mentality for these guys. Just give it our all and let the (champion)chips fall where they may. Whatever the outcome, we build on that next year.

"Be Legendary."

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

There is no part of me that wants a higher draft pick. Zero desire to miss out on the playoffs.

I'm all in on winning, and have been since we beat the Blazers on Oct 30th.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I believe playing in the playoffs provides valuable experience, even if it involves being swept out in the first round. I want to see the Suns in the playoffs because I think they deserve it based on their league standing, but that's a whole other discussion.

I still feel a large amount of indifference about the Suns in the playoffs because there's a significant difference between picking 14th and 20-22 in the draft. A team still needs to know what they're doing and probably have a little bit of luck with a pick anywhere outside of the top 5 to succeed in any draft. But if I could choose between a loss in the first round and a late lottery pick, more often than not I'd be taking the lottery pick.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:I don't give two shits about how making or missing the playoffs affects our draft pick.
I wouldn't expect anyone to want the Suns to miss the playoffs, but I also think people are underestimating the difference between picking 14 and say 19-21. You could end up with Giannis Antetokounmpo, which go a long way to building a contender, or you could get Tony Snell.

I would love to see the Suns team that beat Portland and OKC make the playoffs. But I don't have much desire to see the team that laid an egg against the Lakers. I don't know need to see the team that has the Morris Twins MIA, Plumlee playing ineffectively, Frye incapable of hitting the broad side of a barn. But if the Morris Twins are on, Green is on a hot streak, and the Bledsoe/Dragic combo is running on all cylinders, well that will be something worth watching.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote: I wouldn't expect anyone to want the Suns to miss the playoffs, but I also think people are underestimating the difference between picking 14 and say 19-21. You could end up with Giannis Antetokounmpo, which go a long way to building a contender, or you could get Tony Snell.
I don't underestimate it at all. I do understand that the difference between 14 and 19-21 can be pretty huge. That's not my point. You give it your all to make the playoffs no matter what and don't worry about what draft pick you'll get as a result of making it or not making it. If we give it our all and don't make it, 14 is our consolation prize.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Dallas already up 11 on Utah near the end of the first quarter.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:Not with that attitude! Buck up, son! We need a win!

Well tomorrow I'll be in a suite instead of down below where I usually sit. So maybe being drunk will help?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

SDC

Post by SDC »

Mori Chu wrote:Mavs play Utah tonight. They should win, of course. But hey, any game with DAL or MEM in it gets my full box-score attention.
there are no easy games for the suns in their last 5 games. NO and sacramento arent tanking. they've already done that in previous seasons. Pelicans were 7-3 two weeks ago until davis got injured. For some reason the suns have a losing record vs the Kings.

The teams that are obviously tanking are philly, milwaukee, utah.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

SDC: Why is your sig "#mcdoOUT"? Do you dislike our GM?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Oh, that's well documented over realgm. Didn't trade for Pau, drafted busts, wanted to tank and backfired...

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Its becoming increasingly likely that the Mavs are going to get in.

It looks like its either the Grizz or us. The Mavs have a tony parker-less Spurs on Thursday...win that and they'd prob have to lose to us and the Grizz and have The Suns and Grizz win 4 of 5 to not get in.

Give Dallas credit they beat every team they were suppose to down the stretch. Lakers,Kings,Jazz...
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

TOO

Post by TOO »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Oh, that's well documented over realgm. Didn't trade for Pau, drafted busts, wanted to tank and backfired...
Do any of the .net regulars still frequent RealGM now that we have a new .net?

JeffreyLee

Post by JeffreyLee »

carey wrote:
Superbone wrote:Not with that attitude! Buck up, son! We need a win!

Well tomorrow I'll be in a suite instead of down below where I usually sit. So maybe being drunk will help?
I dont like the suites myself. I have sat courtside a few times, thanks to a real good client of mine. Free beer and food.
You sold me two quier giraffes