Suns News: Preseason (2015)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Suns News: Preseason (2015)

Post by Superbone »

Training camp is over and by all accounts, it was very successful. Here's a place to put any news that occurs during preseason before the season starts.

Although most of us were unable to see the scrimmage, the good news for those of us with NBATV is that the Suns first preseason game against Sacramento will be shown live this Wednesday. Hopefully, it also means it will be available to you streamers.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

JCSunsfan

Re: Suns Preseason 2015

Post by JCSunsfan »

Things I am looking for in preseason:

1. High efficiencey play from Knight and Bledsoe. I do not care how much they score as much as that they shoot good percentages overall and from the 3.

2. Distribution by the pg's

3. Rebounding from Chandler, Len, Leuer, and Keef. Not so much from Keef. I just don't think he has enough heart to be a good rebounder consisitently.

4. Defense from Booker, TJ, and Archie.

5. See who will win the backup pf job--Leuer or Tele. I think Leuer is in the lead right now.

6. Really don't care about Tucker. He is what he is. Actually now, one of the least interesting of our players.

7. I think Weems is a solid player, looking to see that confirmed in just solid mistake-free play.

EDC

Post by EDC »

https://twitter.com/paulcoro/status/651506250648154112

Those are the three home games then after that the other three are away. Hopefully the home teams in those games will make the games available.

Looks like Dallas local station is broadcasting all preseason games. So that one should be available.

The other two I couldn't find any sign of them covering home preseason games.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thanks for doing the legwork, EDC!

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It looks like the Suns also have a Twitch.tv stream. http://twitch.tv/Suns

Superbone

Re: Suns News: Preseason (2015)

Post by Superbone »

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /73721772/
Len scored more than he has posted in any regular-season game but did it in 23 minutes by making seven of 10 shots from the field and seven of eight free throws. He added six rebounds, three blocks and two steals and did not commit a foul or a turnover. The Suns outscored the Jazz by 20 during his time on the floor and got outscored by four in the other 25 minutes.

“He’s literally just scratching the surface,” Suns center Tyson Chandler said of his new protégé. “There’s so many little things that he doesn’t understand. Like I’ve said before, he doesn’t understand how great he can be.”
Len’s first-half run prompted a Utah timeout, to which Chandler popped giddily off the bench to greet a teammate he only has been around daily for about four weeks.

“I love the dude,” Chandler said. “That’s my guy. The moment I signed on, he became my brother and my guy who I want to see succeed and do well.”

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Worth every penny!

Indy

Post by Indy »

Hype is free and abundant this early in the year, but I am really excited by what I am hearing from Chandler. And Booker is looking like a great pick (I can't believe he won't be 19 until we start the season).

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yep, Booker is even a couple months younger than Archie was when we got him. But Booker's maturity seems to be extremely high for his age.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Shooting is a concrete skill that is worth drafting for. "Athleticism" in a guy like Goodwin is cheap. Dime a dozen. Draft guys who can shoot, pass, rebound, defend. Not just an "athlete."

carey

Post by carey »

Does Knight mean that his ankle isn't strong enough to drive to the basket? http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... 6beeaa796a
Knight’s shot has looked more like the player who made 40.9 percent of his 3-pointers last season before being traded from Milwaukee to Phoenix, where he made 31 percent of 3s after the move. He has hit five of 12 3-point tries in the first two preseason games, following up on his strong shooting from training camp and pickup games.

“That’s because it’s the only thing I can do right now,” Knight said. “It’s the easiest thing for me to do. The hard part is getting by guys and finishing at the rim. I really have to focus on knocking down open shots when I get an opportunity. That’s something I worked on this summer, knowing I’m going to get a lot of opportunity with Eric to shoot with less pressure on me.”
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wow. If he's still that hurt, I wish we'd just DNP him until he feels closer to 100%. I see no reason to rush anybody back, especially from a leg/knee/ankle injury. Got to get your wheels right.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Mori Chu wrote:Shooting is a concrete skill that is worth drafting for. "Athleticism" in a guy like Goodwin is cheap. Dime a dozen. Draft guys who can shoot, pass, rebound, defend. Not just an "athlete."
Booker may not be a gifted athlete so maybe he won't ever be a threat one on one, but he has one refined skill (part of which doesn't even rely on athleticism) plus above average IQ and overall a decent body.

On the other hand, Goodwin is feline, but when he entered the league he was so weak (still is) that he just couldn't take advantage of his quickness. Combined with no shot and no IQ, you just can't stay on the court. All Corey Maggette did was penetrate but he was strong and could absorb contact.

I believe Archie can become a productive NBA player, although he needs a lot of further development. The problem is his rookie contract is running out and the franchise is not really waiting on him. At the (maybe low) risk of regretting it later, the best for everybody is probably a trade.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I read that article on Knight and was scratching my head too. Unless it's just a matter of rehab and strengthening and can't re-injure himself at this point? I like that he's out there getting used to his teammates and the system, because if he'd have been out it would've been a big setback. Just hope it's nothing that lingers.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:Shooting is a concrete skill that is worth drafting for. "Athleticism" in a guy like Goodwin is cheap. Dime a dozen. Draft guys who can shoot, pass, rebound, defend. Not just an "athlete."
Booker may not be a gifted athlete so maybe he won't ever be a threat one on one, but he has one refined skill (part of which doesn't even rely on athleticism) plus above average IQ and overall a decent body.

On the other hand, Goodwin is feline, but when he entered the league he was so weak (still is) that he just couldn't take advantage of his quickness. Combined with no shot and no IQ, you just can't stay on the court. All Corey Maggette did was penetrate but he was strong and could absorb contact.

I believe Archie can become a productive NBA player, although he needs a lot of further development. The problem is his rookie contract is running out and the franchise is not really waiting on him. At the (maybe low) risk of regretting it later, the best for everybody is probably a trade.
Part of the problem of drafting too young. That would be an interesting part of the next CBA. Maybe you could add a year to the rookie deals for every year under 21 or something like that. It would be an incentive not to come out as early. Maybe.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Part of the problem of drafting too young. That would be an interesting part of the next CBA. Maybe you could add a year to the rookie deals for every year under 21 or something like that. It would be an incentive not to come out as early. Maybe.
Very good idea, instead of increasing the age restriction, just put in place this rule, and the market will balance for itself.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I like that idea a lot. The players' union would probably fight it, but I like anything to incentivize staying in college longer.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

I also think it's an interesting idea. And my twist on it:
Players could be on rookie contracts until after the season they turn a certain age (25 for example) and then RFA. That way they can enter NBA early and get a paycheck (which iirc is the main argument against age restriction) but regardless of how many years they spent in college their first big contract comes at 25.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I don't really have a problem with kids being allowed to enter the league before they are ready. They make their decisions, same as do teams that draft them. Both take a risk and some times it pays off, some times it doesn't. Besides, for first rounders they are nicely compensated as two guaranteed years of rookie scale money is nothing to scoff at in real life. Also, not making it in the NBA doesn't mean they can't pursue a basketball career somewhere else.

Honestly I don't believe for a second that he NBA would miss out on the next superstar. Real talents like Kobe, KG or LeBron get through. The rest range from relevant players like Al Jefferson or Perkins to unknown scrubs, same as with college players.

Actually, sometimes it's arguably even more beneficial for the prospect to declare as early as possible, while the hype lasts. See James McAdoo for instance. Better draft position, more guaranteed money, more chance of the franchise refusing to label you as sunk cost, more residual opportunities, etc.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Hermen wrote:I also think it's an interesting idea. And my twist on it:
Players could be on rookie contracts until after the season they turn a certain age (25 for example) and then RFA. That way they can enter NBA early and get a paycheck (which iirc is the main argument against age restriction) but regardless of how many years they spent in college their first big contract comes at 25.
That would be a good way to frame it.