College Basketball: 2015-2016

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: College Basketball: 2015-2016

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:I could totally be mis-remembering 1995-2000, but does Booker remind anyone else of Grant Hill in his early days?
I don't really think so. Hill was a slasher, great at attacking the basket. He also had great athleticism that manifested as great defense and good rebounding. He wasn't a great outside shooter. Honestly other than their similar height I don't see much similarity at all.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I'm thinking more about his smoothness and ability to flow without effort.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

I'm inclined to think more Michael Finley for the comparison.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

You hear a lot about how coaches think a player can be a "point forward" but Grant Hill was the prototype point forward when he came into the league with Detroit (he was a 20/9/7 guy his second year in the league). They would run the offense through him, he could rebound, he was a good defender, and about the only thing he was missing was a great outside shot.

Booker hasn't shown anything you can really hang your hat on so far other than his outside shooting (with a few flashes of other things). I don't see much of a similarity at all.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

LazarusLong wrote:I'm inclined to think more Michael Finley for the comparison.
I'm going to say a better-passing version of Allan Houston.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:

That is a much better comparison. Booker just doesn't have the rebounding prowess of a Hill.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

That is a much better comparison. Booker just doesn't have the rebounding prowess of a Hill.
Or the height. Hill was 6'8" while Booker is 6'6". Hill was a SF while Booker is a sweet shooting 2 guard.
"Be Legendary."

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Shoudl we start a tourney thread or post about it in here? First 4 going on tonight.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

pickle

Post by pickle »

I also think Hill has great length while Booker tends to be a bit limited there.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:I also think Hill has great length while Booker tends to be a bit limited there.
Booker is not limited in height. He is good size for a two guard. Hill was a prototypical small forward.
"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

The Bobster wrote:
Allan Houston is the comparison I wrote when I first saw Booker in the summer league. First it was supposed to be JJ Redick, due to overall limitations. Now the Klay comps look legit, but after watching more I think Ray Allen is a possibility as best case scenario. Finley's style was more physical (Chicago's Butler, perhaps).

And agreed on Grant Hill. His combination of athleticism, fundamentals and overall productivity are not easy to come by and Booker is just not that kind of player.

Whatever. I just love having a premium prospect. And two B guys at center and SF is not bad either.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Superbone wrote:
pickle wrote:I also think Hill has great length while Booker tends to be a bit limited there.
Booker is not limited in height. He is good size for a two guard. Hill was a prototypical small forward.
Nah I wasn't talking about height. I mentioned this in a game thread way back, but I don't think he has a very long wingspan which is pretty useful with defense. So that is what I meant by length, not the actual height.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
Allan Houston is the comparison I wrote when I first saw Booker in the summer league. First it was supposed to be JJ Redick, due to overall limitations. Now the Klay comps look legit, but after watching more I think Ray Allen is a possibility as best case scenario. Finley's style was more physical (Chicago's Butler, perhaps).

And agreed on Grant Hill. His combination of athleticism, fundamentals and overall productivity are not easy to come by and Booker is just not that kind of player.

Whatever. I just love having a premium prospect. And two B guys at center and SF is not bad either.
Everyone loves the Thompson comparison because they have the same skin tone and can shoot, but like others have said, Booker seems to have more to his game. I think Thompson is a better shooter, but I see more potential as an off the bounce guy in Booker, I also think he'll be a better playmaker. Thompson is supposedly a better defender, but Booker has time to learn.

Side note, where does klay's defensive reputation come from? I don't watch him enough to see first hand, but all the advanced stats I could find don't show him as a good defender. In fact they show him as a sub-par one.

Back to Booker comparisons, I think maybe somewhere between the klay/Houston and Finley/Butler comparisons makes sense. Say a Brandon Roy or Michael redd?

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Paul Westphal seems to be a good comparison to me. Its just that too many of you are two young to understand it.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Westphal was a lot more creative on offense. He was a premiere scorer. In 1977-78 he averaged 25 points in 30 minutes a game. I don't think Booker is going to be that kind of player.

He could turn out more like Joe Johnson except a better shooter.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Booker doesn't have the physical tools of Joe Johnson.

Granted, he's only 19 and may yet fill out a bit, but I can't see him ever being like Johnson.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

True, Johnson is a lot more physical. He's the former Sun that I figured he had the most in common with - perimeter shooter, good handle, about the same height. Johnson was a lot stronger when he came to the Suns than Booker is now and that really helped him closer to the basket and defensively. Booker's going to need to get a lot stronger and better in both of those areas, and I think he will (how much is the question).

Basically, it comes down to if you're Devin Booker you have an opportunity to become a great player in this league, but it's going to take a lot of dedication and hard work. Is he going to be one of those guys or one of those buys who is happy with a little improvement and a solid career?

carey

Post by carey »

The Bobster wrote:He could turn out more like Joe Johnson except a better shooter.
I like that Joe Johnson comp a lot. He was 20 when we got him halfway through his rookie season and he wasn't quite filled out like he is now.

Have you seen the numbers he is putting up with Miami through 10 games? Kind of surprising.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

carey wrote:
The Bobster wrote:He could turn out more like Joe Johnson except a better shooter.
I like that Joe Johnson comp a lot. He was 20 when we got him halfway through his rookie season and he wasn't quite filled out like he is now.

Have you seen the numbers he is putting up with Miami through 10 games? Kind of surprising.
He's playing the same as he was in Brooklyn except he's shooting 57% instead of 41%. The advanced stats show that he's shooting from closer in, and that would explain part of it, but he's also just shooting a lot better.

carey

Post by carey »

The Bobster wrote:
carey wrote:

He's playing the same as he was in Brooklyn except he's shooting 57% instead of 41%. The advanced stats show that he's shooting from closer in, and that would explain part of it, but he's also just shooting a lot better.
It's very interesting what they are doing. Their starting line up the other night against Denver was Dragic-Wade-JJ-Deng-Amare. Now Amare only played 11 min and everyone else in the starting line-up played over 30. Whiteside got the rest of the C minutes at 31 and their 2 rookies Winslow and Richardson each got 30 a piece. This Richardson kid can play.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!