Who Do You Want as the Next Head Coach?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Who do you want as the next Suns coach?

Tom Thibodeau
24%
Mike D’Antoni
8%
Kevin McHale
No votes
Scott Brooks
No votes
Steve Nash
3%
Luke Walton
11%
Becky Hammon
18%
Nate McMillian
No votes
Mark Jackson
3%
Tyronn Lue
No votes
Eddie Johnson
5%
Jeff Van Gundy
8%
Vinny Del Negro
No votes
Sean Miller
3%
Kevin Ollie
3%
Terry Porter
3%
Gene Hackman’s character from Hoosiers
3%
Your poll sucks. Keep Jeff.
5%
Other (Specify in your post)
5%

Total votes: 38

Wally_West

Who Do You Want as the Next Head Coach?

Post by Wally_West »

Is it too early for this thread? Yeah, but this has been a crap season so far and I am pretty confident that Jeff Hornacek won't last for the entire season, even if he does, I really don't see a scenario where he is brought back. I guess there is a slim chance still for a huge turnaround under Hornacek but we all know it is more likely for Anna Kendrick to finally accept my marriage proposals than that possibility.

...okay, maybe my hopeful marriage to Anna Kendrick is clearly the less likely option, but you get my point!

So who do want as the next head coach? I made a list of candidates who could potentially be on the radar. Most of these names were people I could think of off the top my head and others were names that you generally hear whenever there is vacant head coaching job, so there are some people on the list I probably wouldn't support if we hired them. My apologies in advance if I left any good names off the list or if you feel these choices are silly but that is why I put the option for "other". ;)

Note: I don't necessarily mean hire one of these guys this season, more for next year. Though some of these candidates I wouldn't have a problem with hiring after firing Hornacek the same season. Also, some of these names aren't meant to be taken seriously. ;)
Last edited by Wally_West on Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

sunset rubdown

Re: Who Do You Want as the Next Head Coach?

Post by sunset rubdown »

Walton from that list or some young up-and-coming coach from NCAA. Celts and Bulls made a correct decisions with Stevens and Hoiberg.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I do think we need a new coach. Is it worth hiring somebody during this season? My understanding is that it's really hard to implement a new system with a new voice in the middle of the year. Or is it too painful to wait until the offseason?

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Anyone from the Spurs organization. Seriously anyone.

Not sold on Walton. That team pretty much coaches itself. Only a duo of Terry Porter and Lindsay Hunter stand a chance against ruining that masterpiece
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Maybe Ettore Messina.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Mori Chu wrote:I do think we need a new coach. Is it worth hiring somebody during this season? My understanding is that it's really hard to implement a new system with a new voice in the middle of the year. Or is it too painful to wait until the offseason?
I mostly meant for next year more than this year, that's why there's options like Luke Walton. Although, I remember the Lakers making a huge change to implement a new system during a season when they hired Mike D'Antoni after firing Mike Brown, probably not the best example though.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ha ha. I was laughing going down your list as it got longer and longer and sillier.

I think we should have a poll for whether Anna Kendrick will marry you. I'm all for it if you let me hang out with you guys.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:I do think we need a new coach. Is it worth hiring somebody during this season? My understanding is that it's really hard to implement a new system with a new voice in the middle of the year. Or is it too painful to wait until the offseason?
If last night is any indication, it's too painful to wait.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

More votes for Luke Walton than Thibs? Hmm.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Heck I'd like to ser Mike D back. I want to be amused haahha

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Heck I'd like to ser Mike D back. I want to be amused haahha
Heck, I'd take D'Antoni. At least he has a sense of humor.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Apparently he's been knighted, too! :-)

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

A while back Thunder Dan's name came up. How is his coaching style in college?

I actually wouldn't mind having a scott skiles type for the remainder of the season, JUST for the remainder of this season to get some freaking discipline into our players even if it doesn't turn into wins straight away, at least we are actively working to fix our problems rather than our current head in the sand/actively reward incompetence approach. Then look for the next Brad Stevens next year

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Can I ask has there been any recent Sarver or McD interviews where someone has had the stones to ask them point blank about the obvious problems lately? I can't seem to find any recent interviews

Failure without accountability can only be a bad thing

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

djy2j wrote:Anyone from the Spurs organization. Seriously anyone.

my only concern is we end up with a Brian Shaw type situation where we grab an assistant from a good team who have a particular system which we don't have the cattle for - mind you in the spurs case its a very good system. I suppose it shouldn't matter since we currently have no system so there is not much to ruin. Kinda talked myself outta that one

carey

Post by carey »

Danimal wrote:Can I ask has there been any recent Sarver or McD interviews where someone has had the stones to ask them point blank about the obvious problems lately? I can't seem to find any recent interviews

Failure without accountability can only be a bad thing
McD was on Burns & Gambo recently and it was all fluff questions.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Mori Chu wrote:
Apparently he's been knighted, too! :-)
:lol:
But seriously, I didn't want him gone. Not sure how he'd work under McD, though. Trying to make Bledsoe-Knight lead his offensive schemes would be painfully hilarious. Stealth tanking.

EDC

Post by EDC »

We can't go with a young first time coach or even one with just a year or two of experience. It is too much of a risk in my opinion. They may turn out great but most don't so it would just put us back in a bad position. Not to mention a coach without a lot of experience might not be able to get our guys to actually listen. It really feels like Hornacek has had any backbone he had beaten out of him.

We need a coach with a lot of experience. Preferably a defensive minded coach. We have guys that could anchor a very good defensive team. Plus I would really like Booker and TJ to be under a defensive minded coach to help mold them in to complete players.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Unless things turn around, I don't think Hornacek is our coach next year. I don't think he'll get fired during the season tho. On the other hand, I could even see a trade involving Kieff which actually helps turn things around. Then the question will be, do we still get rid of Hornacek?

I think Brooks would be the obvious choice and I wouldn't mind it, depending on who his assistants are. Thibs has the Boston connection with McD but for some reason I don't think we'd go so extreme to that kind of defensive style. It's never been our style of play, tho I do think we need that emphasis and discipline from our next coach. Just not sure Thibs is the guy.

Malone would've been my first choice. Given our roster, we could be a fantastic defensive team that executes offensively in the halfcourt with that kind of coach. Hollins, Malone, Budenholzer...

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Folks,

This is silly to be discussing a new head coach. With this whole Morris brother fiasco and the high stakes summer moves made to get Aldridge ending in a giant Fail, hold Horns accountable for a sub par fallout from that isn't even close to reasonable. We will see how far we go this year, but I am much more concerned about resolving the Morris situation, removing that cancer from the team, and seeing what they can do about a complimentary big name big...which we really could use. Alridge on this team would have made a huge difference...it failed, so we're left with one of the Morri, a disrupted locker room environment, and there you go...the results were always going to be sub par afterwards. My bet is you remove Morris, and the record improves...quickly...but we will still need a big along side of Chandler to make this all come together.

VT