Around the League: Week 9 12/21-12/27

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Around the League: Week 9 12/21-12/27

Post by carey »

Week 8 is kaput. We're already to Christmas week where we get the very exciting Christmas day matchup of Cleveland and Golden State.

ESPN's week 8 power rankings: LINK The Suns have tumbled 3 spots to #22.
The Suns are 5-12 since their 7-5 start. And they're 0-10 when they fail to crack the 100-point barrier. Eric Bledsoe and Brandon Knight are one of just three tag teams in the league in which both players are averaging at least 20 PPG and 5 APG ... but here's the flip side: Phoenix's frontcourt is last in the league at 24.8 PPG.
Nationally televised games this week

Monday: Minnesota @ Boston 7:30PM EST NBATv, OKC @ L.A. Clippers 10:30PM EST NBATv
Tuesday: Dallas @ Toronto 7:30PM EST NBATv
Wednesday: Houston @ Orlando 7:00PM EST NBATv, OKC @ L.A. Lakers 10:30PM EST NBATv
Thursday: No games scheduled.
Friday: New Orleans @ Miami 12:00PM EST ESPN, Chicago @ OKC 2:30PM EST ABC, Cleveland @ Golden State 5:00PM EST ABC, San Antonio @ Houston 8:00PM EST ESPN, L.A. Clippers @ L.A. Lakers 10:30PM EST ESPN
Saturday: Houston @ New Orleans 7:00PM EST NBATv
Sunday: New York @ Boston 7:00PM EST NBATv

NBA News

D.A.'s morning tip discusses the unofficial start of trade season, T-minus one year until CBA is re-opened: LINK
Jason Kidd is taking indefinite leave for hip surgery. Joe Prunty will coach in Kidd's absence: LINK
S.I. looks at the performance and fit of the new NBA head coaches: LINK
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Re: Around the League: Week 9 12/21-12/27

Post by ShelC »

Bucks are kind of trending the way we were a year ago. They overachieved with lesser talent, made a big signing with Monroe and can't seem to figure the pieces out. Now their head coach is out for probably two months.

I also kind of love what's going on in Chicago. Jimmy Butler called out Hoiberg for saying he needs to be tougher on players...this after Thibs was run out of town by management for being "too tough" and playing his guys too many minutes. Be careful what you wish for.

carey

Post by carey »

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:Bucks are kind of trending the way we were a year ago. They overachieved with lesser talent, made a big signing with Monroe and can't seem to figure the pieces out. Now their head coach is out for probably two months.

I also kind of love what's going on in Chicago. Jimmy Butler called out Hoiberg for saying he needs to be tougher on players...this after Thibs was run out of town by management for being "too tough" and playing his guys too many minutes. Be careful what you wish for.
Good observations both. The Bucks undervalued shooting; I think that's their Achilles heel. Length, athleticism, versatility, these are all great things to have; but if defenders can just pack the paint, you're toast.

As for Chicago, I am never sure what to make of them. I think they lost their window to compete for a title. They were the best threat to Lebron and the Heat for a while there, but I don't think anybody thinks they will come out of the East this year.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:Good observations both. The Bucks undervalued shooting; I think that's their Achilles heel. Length, athleticism, versatility, these are all great things to have; but if defenders can just pack the paint, you're toast.
You know who would look good on that team? Brandon Knight.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

LOL. Yeah, why DID they let go of that guy?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The Knight trade is probably on Kidd. I think he envisioned his PGs being more like him...bigger, less athletic, not great shooters but higher IQ, pass first PGs. So instead of Knight, he got MCW, Vasquez, Ennis. None of those guys will be confused for Brandon Knight but of course, now they lack that outside shooting and scoring punch.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Maybe we could trade Brandon Knight for a first-round pick that may end up being #4-5 in the draft this coming summer. Oh wait, nobody would be stupid enough to give up an asset like that for a middling guard like Brandon Knight.

carey

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/Jumpshot8/status/679420388674158593

Eddie and Bob going at it.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

LMAO. It's on!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Not the first time EJ has to deal with impertinent people online. At hoopshype he used deal with some not so kind users in the comments section below his articles.

He is not a favorite of mine as broadcaster, but the guy had a long ass and remarkable career in the NBA and you have to listen to what he has to say and respect it.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Following up on the Bucks...a HoopsRumors interview with their beat writer:
Hoops Rumors: Marc Lasry has indicated in the past that he gives Jason Kidd’s voice just as much weight as John Hammond‘s when it comes to player personnel decisions. Is that the case, and how well are Hammond and Kidd working together?

Gery Woelfel: I think it’s pretty apparent to people around the NBA that deal with the Bucks that Jason Kidd is calling all the shots. … He decided that he didn’t want to pay Brandon Knight going forward. It was a very controversial trade. At the time the Bucks were seven games over .500. After the trade they were seven games under .500 and now of course they’re several games under .500 again this year.

Hoops Rumors: Knight has looked really impressive for the Suns so far. Is it too early to say that the trade was a mistake?

Gery Woelfel: I thought it was a horrendous decision. I said at the time I didn’t like the trade and I like it even less than now. Brandon Knight is a player some people around the NBA thought was an All-Star-caliber player last year. Now he’s off to a terrific start in Phoenix. The numbers don’t tell the whole story about Brandon Knight. The guy is just incredibly competitive. His work ethic. He was one of the first guys there and one of the last guys there, and most importantly, guys like playing with him, because he plays so hard. He’s totally into the game. I think his teammates appreciated that. … That’s not to demean Michael Carter-Williams, because Michael Carter-Williams really comes to the table with his length and his defense. He’s very capable of being one of the best defensive point guards in the league, but unfortunately he doesn’t bring it on a consistent basis. He was the worst 3-point shooter in the NBA as a starting point guard last year. … At this point in the NBA, it’s all about the three ball. You’ve got to be able to shoot the three ball, and unfortunately for Michael Carter-Williams, he can’t do that at this point in his career.
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2015/12/the- ... bucks.html

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Look at this amazing play by the Spurs. They pass it about 8 times on one possession, and then West gets an easy layup. We are so far from this that it isn't even funny.

[youtube][/youtube]

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Mori Chu wrote:Look at this amazing play by the Spurs. They pass it about 8 times on one possession, and then West gets an easy layup. We are so far from this that it isn't even funny.

[youtube][/youtube]
No kidding. Do we even have ONE play that looks like this this season?

carey

Post by carey »

Ish Smith was traded to the 76ers for 2 second round picks.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Tony Wroten was waived.

EDC

Post by EDC »

I feel pretty bad for Ish. On the upside for him we are back to playing small and he might suit up for the 76ers for our next game. Then he can torch us like he did the last time we decided not to play our centers.

Indy

Post by Indy »

EDC wrote:I feel pretty bad for Ish. On the upside for him we are back to playing small and he might suit up for the 76ers for our next game. Then he can torch us like he did the last time we decided not to play our centers.
Exactly. Well, he will torch us either way, because he isn't bad at getting the ball to the open man, and we know neither Bleds or Knight can stay in front of their man, and don't bother to rotate when needed. So even if Len comes over to help, Ish will find a wide open 76er...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:Ish Smith was traded to the 76ers for 2 second round picks.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
According to Tom Haberstroh:

Anthony Davis shot the highest % when Ish Smith passed him the ball vs. Jrue or Tyreke.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am not saying anything about this move, in particular, but it will be very interesting to see what JC does with the 76ers.