Play-by-play data source?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Cap

Play-by-play data source?

Post by Cap »

I want to do some analysis of play-by-play data, but I need a source for the data. Basketball-reference.com has play-by-play data, though not in a downloadable format; I can parse the HTML, but that will break whenever they change the layout. A bigger problem for me is that their pbp data doesn't show the 24-second clock, which is essential for the analysis I want to do. Does anyone know of a source of reliable pbp data including the shot clock?

Indy

Re: Play-by-play data source?

Post by Indy »

Have you reached out to bb-ref to ask them? They have to be getting their data somewhere, right? Also, does SportsVUE have an API?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Synergy Sports tracks all that stuff too.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:Have you reached out to bb-ref to ask them? They have to be getting their data somewhere, right? Also, does SportsVUE have an API?
Yes, I asked bb-ref for help. No dice.

I'll check out SportsVUE.
ShelC wrote:Synergy Sports tracks all that stuff too.
I'll check them out too.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am sure they both do, but I know SportsVUE has the shot clock info. They report on when the shots were taken based on the clock.

Cap

Post by Cap »

I couldn't find anything on SportsVUE's website; perhaps you can give me some pointers.

NBASavant.com has a shot search tool that includes shot clock data; I have sent an email asking if they can point me to the raw data.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I haven't used their website, but NBA.com has their data. I doubt they have everything you need right there, but you should be able to get the source somewhere. Check out their site and use the 'gear' function to see the available filter options.

http://stats.nba.com/tracking/#!/player ... f:nba:gnav

Cap

Post by Cap »

All I'm seeing there is aggregated statistics, not data on each individual shot.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah. I was not saying that I think you can get what you want directly from their web interface. I was saying I know they have the data since they can produce the aggregated stats. You will still likely need to get a hold of someone in the NBA or SportsVUE (or Synergy Sports) to get the feed you want.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I would imagine all of this stuff costs significant money, no?