Around the League: Week 14 1/26-1/31

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Around the League: Week 14 1/26-1/31

Post by carey »

Nationally televised games this week

Monday: Minnesota @ Cleveland 7:00PM EST NBATv, San Antonio @ Golden State 10:30PM EST NBATv
Tuesday: OKC @ New York Nicks 7:30PM EST NBATv, Dallas @ Los Angeles Lakers 10:30PM EST NBATv
Wednesday: Houston @ San Antonio 8:00PM EST ESPN, Dallas @ Golden State 10:30PM EST ESPN
Thursday: New York @ Toronto 8:00PM TNT, Chicago @ Los Angeles Lakers 10:30PM EST TNT
Friday: Houston @ OKC 8:00PM EST NBATv,Los Angeles Lakers @ Los Angeles Clippers 10:30PM EST NBATv
Saturday: San Antonio @ Cleveland 8:30PM EST ABC
Sunday: Chicago @ Los Angeles Clippers 3:30PM EST ABC, Boston @ Orlando 6:00PM EST NBATv, Minnesota @ Portland 9:00PM EST NBATv

NBA News

D.A.'s Morning Tip weighs in on the Blatt situation: http://www.nba.com/2016/news/features/d ... index.html

Flannery's Sunday Shootaround focuses on how Jimmy Butler connects the old Bulls and the new Bulls: http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/1/24/1 ... hootaround
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Gladiator

Re: Around the League: Week 14 1/26-1/31

Post by Gladiator »

Warriors are absolutely destroying the Spurs - Steph Curry doing lots of Steph Curry things

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

They're ridiculous. Curry is unreal. He had one play where he made Kawhi Freaking Leonard look like a fool.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Shabazz wrote:They're ridiculous. Curry is unreal. He had one play where he made Kawhi Freaking Leonard look like a fool.
That play was astonishing

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

This draft class has been really, really impressive so far. Much more so than the more heralded 2014 class.

With the exception of Hezonja and Kaminsky (both of whom have shown flashes), the top 13 have been great. There are two bonafide franchise guys. Mudiay has sort of been a hot mess, but you can see the talent. Miles Turner has been amazing lately. Cam Payne at 14 has looked solid. Then there's a big drop off before Portis, Rondae and Nance Jr. (all impressive). Shows what anyone knows about drafts.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Kings lose in double overtime to Hornets, 128-129. Cousins drops 56 points, Rondo 20 assists.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Shabazz wrote:This draft class has been really, really impressive so far. Much more so than the more heralded 2014 class.

With the exception of Hezonja and Kaminsky (both of whom have shown flashes), the top 13 have been great. There are two bonafide franchise guys. Mudiay has sort of been a hot mess, but you can see the talent. Miles Turner has been amazing lately. Cam Payne at 14 has looked solid. Then there's a big drop off before Portis, Rondae and Nance Jr. (all impressive). Shows what anyone knows about drafts.
I agree that many rookies this year look very good. As far as last year's draft goes, you have to take injuries into account. I think (and I admit this is all from memory, which may be playing tricks) that Wiggins is the only one from last year's top 7 who hasn't missed a lot of games.
Randle, Gordon, Embiid, Parker had serious injuries, Exum will miss this season. Smart missed "only" 30-ish games but he's playing really fine now for Boston.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Kings lose in double overtime to Hornets, 128-129. Cousins drops 56 points, Rondo 20 assists.
And despite 2 overtimes Rondo still can't get 10 points for a tripple double :D Makes me wonder how many double doubles with less than 10 points he already had.

carey

Post by carey »

Did anyone hear what Pop said after the game? "I'm just glad my general manager wasn't in the room after the game. It might have gotten me fired." Total dig at the Blatt/Cleveland thing.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

Worth a read about last night's GS v. SA game: http://espn.go.com/blog/golden-state-wa ... s-pressure
An example of this could be seen in Curry's highlight on Leonard. It was all set up by the threat of Curry cutting to the basket, something the Warriors have done diligently when played aggressively off the ball. After the game, Kerr explained, "If anybody overplays you, our guys are taught, just cut, cut back door, the next guy will fill the spot. Keep the ball moving. That was something that really was a point of emphasis when I played in San Antonio for Pop. That’s what they do."

Kerr said the approach also hearkens to his time as a player on the Bulls: "Went back to the Chicago days when I played, Phil [Jackson] and Tex [Winter] used to talk about, 'Go away from pressure. Don’t go into pressure.'"

So much of Golden State's offensive success is predicated on that "go away from pressure" motto. It's counterintuitive, as sports are supposedly a proving ground where you don't back down from a challenge. By this ethos, when guarded by the best defensive player (Leonard), the best offensive player should go right at him, to demonstrate dominance.

Golden State would prefer their superstar recalibrates the challenge. Though Curry can score efficiently in isolation situations, the Warriors are focused on conserving his energy, getting him the easiest attempts possible. When blanketed by a larger player like Leonard, he'll often move the ball and work through some screens, counting on the defense to destabilize. It works because Curry is great at this, and because the Warriors are replete with perceptive playmakers such as Draymond Green, Andre Iguodala, Shaun Livingston and Andrew Bogut.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

What Steph Curry did to Kawhi Leonard and the Spurs last night was just pure magic. He made the best defensive team in the league look like an AAU team. Probably would have had 20 assists too if the Warriors could hit a layup or an open 3. Unreal.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

carey

Post by carey »

I'm trying to unravel the details about this Blake Griffin broken hand thing. Here's the latest I could find...

https://twitter.com/michaeleaves/status/692017233472720896

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

Blake Griffen broke his had by punching an equipment staffer. Douche.

https://twitter.com/michaeleaves/status/692017233472720896

Cap

Post by Cap »

I'd hope that somebody who breaks his hand in that manner wouldn't collect his salary while he's out. I don't know what the CBA says about it.

carey

Post by carey »

Cap wrote:I'd hope that somebody who breaks his hand in that manner wouldn't collect his salary while he's out. I don't know what the CBA says about it.
Not enough details yet. Was he defending himself? Was he called the unforgivable word? Reports are the two are actually good friends. The whole thing is weird. Hope to hear more soon.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:Did anyone hear what Pop said after the game? "I'm just glad my general manager wasn't in the room after the game. It might have gotten me fired." Total dig at the Blatt/Cleveland thing.
Cleveland should have rested his GM against the Warriors too.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Is it safe to assume Blake isn't a guy who can be your #1 option and a guy to build around/play thru? Will he end up a suped-up version of Amar'e?

TOO

Post by TOO »

Classy.

carey

Post by carey »

ShelC wrote:Is it safe to assume Blake isn't a guy who can be your #1 option and a guy to build around/play thru? Will he end up a suped-up version of Amar'e?
Dunno. Clippers have massive Ewing Theory potential though. They are 11-3 since Blake went out.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Blake Griffin: Biggest fake tough guy in the league. He's a chump. Always backs away from a fair fight that he provokes. He's the Kevin Owens of basketball. (WWE reference)
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."