Jeff Hornacek Fired

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
EDC

Jeff Hornacek Fired

Post by EDC »

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/694067555812667393

Maybe we will see more consistent minutes for the young guys.

Big question is who are they going to hand this mess over to for the rest of the season. They probably wish they hadn't fired both the assistants first.
Last edited by EDC on Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

In2ition

Re: Jeff Hornacek Fired

Post by In2ition »

Wow, I'm very surprised, and kind of disappointed in a just wanted them to tank the rest of the season way.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

EDC

Post by EDC »

In2ition wrote:Wow, I'm very surprised, and kind of disappointed in a just wanted them to tank the rest of the season way.
I think the tank will continue. At least I hope so. I'm just so relieved that we won't have Hornacek coaching next season.

Now if we could only trust Sarver to hire a decent coach. Watch him do something insane like hire Casey Jacobsen or something.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Hardly a surprise. The roster these last two years didn't make him any favors but he made mistakes too. With our luck somebody will grab him and it will be a Steve Kerr scenario again. Any word on the replacement? Got to be Watson, right?

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Markieff Morris outlasted Jeff Hornacek here...wow.

Blah, just blah.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:Markieff Morris outlasted Jeff Hornacek here...
This is kind of incredible.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

The interim coach is expected to be one of two assistants, either Corey Gaines or Earl Watson.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--s ... 02051.html

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Pretty disgusting Hornacek is gone and Morris is still on the team. I think the FO loses a lot of credibility on this one. Worse is that we fired two veteran assistants and don't have much else to turn to. Maybe Watson will show some stuff?

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

The inevitable finally became a reality.

If I'm Robert Sarver, I put Ryan McDonough on notice. The past two offseasons, he has not done a good job of bringing in the right talent. Too, too many guards and small forwards when the team needed legit size inside.
Phoenix Suns 2024-25 NBA Champions !

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

The decision isn't a big surprise but the timing is a little weird. Why now and not last week? Next week?
I don't know if Hornacek was a good coach but I do feel for him a little as he got served up an absolute shit sandwich to deal with the roster (ill fitting pieces, unrealistic expectations etc). I'm sure he'll land on his feet and likely is better suited as an assistant anyway.
As for the Suns, I'd be surprised if Watson doesn't take over - hopefully he doesn't mess things up by winning! And as noted above McD is on notice - can be build properly? Sarver is on notice too - does he have the patience to build properly or is he hell bent on getting back into the playoffs asap? (Sadly I suspect I know the answer to the second one)

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Not a surprise, but Hornacek certainly wasn't the team's biggest problem.

The issues here start at the top - Sarver has been impatient and unwilling to to anything other than try to slap bandages on this team as it's lost the players he was left with when he assumed full control.

McDonough has done a fairly good job in the draft, but his player acquisitions otherwise have been far from impressive.

And the franchise is no longer a destination spot for players, now it seems to be an endless line of disgruntled players and former players who are happier elsewhere.

As long as Sarver tries to involve himself in the day-to-day operation of the team it's going to be a laughingstock.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Very telling that Markieff lasted longer than Hornacek. I don't think Hornacek is blameless in this whole ordeal, but seriously, has McDonough given him a decent roster to work with? I'm sick and tired of these first year GM's, I'd like to find someone who's proven and knows how to put together an NBA roster. I think McDonough is more suited for talent evaluation instead of engineering a roster. These past few years with the exception of the 2013-2014 season have been miserable as a Suns fan to watch.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Timing is definitely weird. So I guess if Markieff throws a towel at you, you are executed. Seems like something they would do in the Roman Empire. Interesting.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Worst Suns team to watch since the debacle in 1986-87.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/694147640611717120

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Maybe it would have been a good idea to actually have a firm plan for an interim before you fire your coach.....

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Or did it just dawn on them - "Hey, we've lost 19 of our last 21! We'd better do something!!!"

Indy

Post by Indy »

Wally_West wrote:

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/694147640611717120

What a fucking joke. When you have a company measured in hundreds of millions of dollars, you don't fire your COO without having a clear backup in place.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Time to shuffle deck chairs on the Titanic ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Jeff probably told Ryan to shove it during the plane flight.