There's a way to get Tom Thibodeau

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SDC

There's a way to get Tom Thibodeau

Post by SDC »

but it requires sacrificing Mcdo... or at least demoting him to scouting or assistant GM.

The trend nowadays to get highly sought after coaches is to give him more power--meaning giving him GM powers. For example, Stan van gundy with the pistons. or doc rivers with LAC.

I think that's the only way thibs might consider coaching THIS team.

the question though is... do we want to sacrifice mcdo?

ShelC

Re: There's a way to get Tom Thibodeau

Post by ShelC »

Thibs doesn't want to be GM and McD and Thibs probably have a history from their Boston days so there'd at least be some familiarity. The question is does McD (and/or Sarver) want the style of basketball Thibs will bring.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Thibs doesn't want to be GM and McD and Thibs probably have a history from their Boston days so there'd at least be some familiarity.
i heard from zach lowe's podcast that thibs wants what SVG got in detroit. if thibs and mcdo had a relationship in the past, even better. mcdo might acquiesce.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

That's probably because of what he experienced in Chicago, which despite their success, is a pretty dysfunctional front office.

I think Thibs just wants someone he knows and has his back. SVG is GM, but he hired Otis Smith (former GM of the Magic) to essentially run the front office. SVG might have final say, but Smith is his guy and they're on the same page.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

If we get Thibs, you all will be wanting to run him out of town on a rail within 6 months.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JCSunsfan wrote:If we get Thibs, you all will be wanting to run him out of town on a rail within 6 months.
No way. It will be more like 2.5 years. I realize they aren't the same caliber, but it will be like when we had Skiles.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'd still take him.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:I'd still take him.
1) He won't want to come here anyway
2) If he did, no way we would pay him what he wants for as long as he wants

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It's natural to want to go from one extreme to the other. Team is too loose and undisciplined because of the coach, get a taskmaster. Team is too tight and overworked because of the coach, go with a player's coach who will loosen the reigns. The Bulls have played this game the past 10-12 years. Skiles-Del Negro-Thibs-Hoiberg. We've been guilty of it too with Ainge to Skiles to Frank Johnson. Then MikeD to Porter to Gentry. There's no blueprint and going to the other extreme isn't always the answer either.

If you go with a guy like Thibs, you have to accept him for what he is and not get mad when he's burning your guys out after 2-3 years. He's crazy, he's intense, he eats/sleeps/breathes basketball and there's no changing that. He's your system and you need to make it clear that you're backing him. The players need to either fall in line or be prepared to get traded.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The players need to either fall in line or be prepared to get traded.
And the FO needs to be able to trade them (even if you don't get an equal return).

Indy

Post by Indy »

And realistically, wouldn't you want your window to be 3-5 years if you get him? You can't bring him in to a situation where you won't be competing for a ring in that span. He just isn't sustainable.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

I would be fine with demoting McD to maybe draft director or some title like that cause other than drafting, he really isn't that good anyway.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

If I am McD and you try to pull that on me, I quit. Job offers won't be a problem.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Thibs is the wrong guy for this young team.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

GMs don't get demoted like that, they get fired.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Wally_West wrote:GMs don't get demoted like that, they get fired.
Except Divac apparently ;)