Sunderella Suns

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
The Bobster

Sunderella Suns

Post by The Bobster »

"The Phoenix Suns will debut “Sunderella Suns”, a one-hour documentary that honors one of the greatest teams in franchise history, following the Suns-Heat broadcast on FOX Sports Arizona on March 3.

In just the eighth year of the franchise’s existence, the Suns took the league by storm with an improbable playoff run that included a trip to the 1976 NBA Finals. Phoenix defeated the top-seeded Golden State Warriors in seven games to capture the 1976 Western Conference title and reach the NBA Finals for the first time in team history.

“Sunderella Suns” will air on the following dates & times on FOX Sports Arizona, and will also be available at Suns.com beginning this Friday:

March 3 9 p.m.
March 4 8:30 p.m.
March 10 11 p.m.
March 14 10:30 p.m.
March 17 9:30 p.m.
March 23 10:30 p.m.
March 26 5:30 p.m.

The Suns will culminate the “Throwback Night” series by recognizing the 40th Anniversary of the Suns’ 1976 NBA Finals team on Saturday, March 26 vs. Boston. The “Sunderella Suns” will be honored during halftime, and several players and personalities from the 1976 Western Conference Champion team will be present for the special recognition."
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

The Bobster

Re: Sunderella Suns

Post by The Bobster »

That was my first real exposure to the Suns. I was 13. It was a great time to be a fan.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

The Bobster wrote:It was a great time to be a fan.
So...sorta different than now? Hah! :D

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

1976 was a once-in-a-lifetime thing for the Suns franchise.

1993 was great, but it wasn't the same.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

I was 14. It was so unexpected. GS was so dominant and Boston was the greatest dynasty ever in the NBA.

In 1993 it was expected.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:That was my first real exposure to the Suns. I was 13. It was a great time to be a fan.
Me too. Looking forward to seeing this.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Isn't the documentary Tom Leander's baby? It was his idea to get it done and he produced the entire thing, I think. I'm glad it will be available on-line. I was born in '76 so it will be neat to watch.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Garfield Heard and Curtis Perry were absolutely the hardest working forwards the Suns ever had. They went after rebounds and loose balls like starving wolves going after fresh meat.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

LazarusLong wrote:Garfield Heard and Curtis Perry were absolutely the hardest working forwards the Suns ever had. They went after rebounds and loose balls like starving wolves going after fresh meat.
And Ricky Sobers was the toughest son of a bitch to ever put on a Suns uniform.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

The second half of the 70's were a great time to watch NBA basketball, despite how terribly it was doing financially. You could be the fan of an underdog team ('75 Warriors, '76 Suns, '77 Blazers, '78 Sonics) and see your team in the Finals compete for the title. Ironically, since the league instituted the salary cap there has been more of an imbalance of talent rather than better parity.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:The second half of the 70's were a great time to watch NBA basketball, despite how terribly it was doing financially. You could be the fan of an underdog team ('75 Warriors, '76 Suns, '77 Blazers, '78 Sonics) and see your team in the Finals compete for the title. Ironically, since the league instituted the salary cap there has been more of an imbalance of talent rather than better parity.
The league could learn a lot from the NFL in creating parity. Sure, people will point to the Patriots, but really, that league is pretty wide open. You have a legit shot at competing for a deep playoff run every few years, even if you are garbage now.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

The NFL's biggest advantage is that they share their TV money equally. There's no way teams like the Lakers and Knicks are going to sign off on that.

They also have a much stricter salary cap which prevents teams from going over it to keep players (non-guaranteed contracts are another advantage). And if you look at the NFL news right now you'll see a lot of high-salaried veterans getting cut because they're to big of a salary cap hit. The NBA players union isn't going to go for a step backwards like that for its players.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Not until they are not doing well again. It may never happen, but it would be better for the fans.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

The Bobster wrote:
LazarusLong wrote:Garfield Heard and Curtis Perry were absolutely the hardest working forwards the Suns ever had. They went after rebounds and loose balls like starving wolves going after fresh meat.
And Ricky Sobers was the toughest son of a bitch to ever put on a Suns uniform.
Yup, just ask Kevin Stacom who beat Sobers on and about Ricky's fists with his face once...

Actually, half of that team was fairly rugged. Van Arsdale, a nice guy off the court, was nails as a defender. Perry and Heard I've mentioned. Dennis "Elbows" Awtrey had a rep around the league as a no BS guy ... Sports Illustrated included him once as one of the NBA's toughest players ..

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Just watching highlights. Westphal was really good. I remember mimicking that leg kick on my jump shots.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Is there anybody now who does those crazy spinning shots that Westphal used to shoot?

Everybody talks about Maravich nowadays, but Westphal was actually the one who one the league's HORSE contest.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

A backcourt for the ages: Nash and Westphal in their prime.

Trivia: Westphal attended USC, where he was backcourt mates with Dennis Layton. While Westphal was drafted by Boston, Layton was drafted by the Suns and was the third guard to the starting backcourt of Van Arsdale and Clem Haskins. He left Phoenix after two seasons to play with a variety of NBA and ABA teams.
Layton was a popular pick by the Suns because he played JC ball at Phoenix College, leading that team to the NJCAA title. One of the teams Phoenix College beat in the national tournament was Gardner-Webb, which started Artis Gilmore at center ...

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Dennis Awtrey's afro!!!!

Oh. Correct it. I was 13 during that run. Didn't turn 14 until later that year. How did so many of us, nearly the same age get on this board? Maybe we went to the same school.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JCSunsfan wrote:Dennis Awtrey's afro!!!!

Oh. Correct it. I was 13 during that run. Didn't turn 14 until later that year. How did so many of us, nearly the same age get on this board? Maybe we went to the same school.
I was at Ingleside elementary at the time. It wasn't until I was in 7th grade that it became a middle school.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

In 1976 I would have been in between 7th & 8th grade at Desert View Elementary.

I can remember my friends and I trying to emulate Gar Heard's high-arching jumper.