What TV shows are you guys watching?

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Phoenix219

Re: What TV shows are you guys watching?

Post by Phoenix219 »

Yeah, it looks good, although I still don't get a "Barry" vibe from Grant, and it pisses me off at the miscasting of Iris West - I normally have no problem with changes for racial diversity, but it completely derails the entire *possibility* of Wally being done correctly before the show even STARTS.

Any idea who John Wesley Shipp is going to play on the new show?? The 3 guesses I've seen floating around are 1) Jay Garrick, the former flash, there to train him, 2) Barry's falsely accused father, or 3) Barry Allen from the alternate Universe?

SHIELD has gotten a bit better, but about the only thing I'm curious about is WHY they had to save Coulson's mind and consciousness - what was so important - what information is locked away in his brain?

Also, I fully expected Skye to get a rip off of Claire's story from Heroes, and was completely shocked when she was shot and did not heal. Totally expected it.

Side note, as one of the hugest Heroes fans.... I do not want them bringing it back for this mini series. There is no way to get the right actors, and the writers didn't realize half the plots they were setting up (on accident, i presume), and the creator didn't even fully get his own show, not to mention network interference and writers strikes and everything else.... i'm terrified of these 13 episodes, and how bad they are going to screw it up now. Just let it sleep man.

I watch way too much tv. I work until 4am, and download all tv from all channels that was on the night before. Some things I watch, some I just archive. Always down for some good TV talk, assuming its something I've started watching.

Anyone else see "Chicago PD" as a rip off of the *other* Shield show? Loll

carey

Post by carey »

Phoenix219 wrote: Anyone else see "Chicago PD" as a rip off of the *other* Shield show? Loll

Yes. The pilots were very similar too. Down to a team member being killed in the first episode. Just in a different way.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

carey wrote:
Phoenix219 wrote: Anyone else see "Chicago PD" as a rip off of the *other* Shield show? Loll

Yes. The pilots were very similar too. Down to a team member being killed in the first episode. Just in a different way.
Yup, although Voight doesn't seem to be nearly as hardcore as Vic was. I saw the similarities again, with the rookie cops white female/black cop pair, too. Still, its watchable, and fills that nitch.

carey

Post by carey »

Phoenix219 wrote: Yup, although Voight doesn't seem to be nearly as hardcore as Vic was. I saw the similarities again, with the rookie cops white female/black cop pair, too. Still, its watchable, and fills that nitch.
Definitely, but it will never be as good. Do you watch SoA?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

carey wrote:
Phoenix219 wrote: Yup, although Voight doesn't seem to be nearly as hardcore as Vic was. I saw the similarities again, with the rookie cops white female/black cop pair, too. Still, its watchable, and fills that nitch.
Definitely, but it will never be as good. Do you watch SoA?
Nah, it rubs me the wrong way. I watched the first season, didn't really get drawn in. Its really overhyped these days IMO, and one of my good friends is absolutely obsessed with the show. The whole package has caused me to pass in general lol.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Anybody else watched American Horror Story? I watched Season 3 and mostly enjoyed it, though it was a little ... girly.

Mandiraj

Post by Mandiraj »

I haven't finished season 3 of American Horror Story but I think season 1 is by far the best, I haven't been as captivated by seasons 2 & 3. Girls is another great show. It os hilarious and the characters are very realistic.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

carey

Post by carey »

Mori Chu wrote:Anybody else watched American Horror Story? I watched Season 3 and mostly enjoyed it, though it was a little ... girly.
It was terrible this year. Why not just throw on the Craft and call it a day? I know I'm supposed to love it cause it was shot in my home town, but bleh, it sucked.
Mandiraj wrote:I haven't finished season 3 of American Horror Story but I think season 1 is by far the best, I haven't been as captivated by seasons 2 & 3. Girls is another great show. It os hilarious and the characters are very realistic.
Yup, a show about privileged self-entitled 20-somethings in NYC. Totally realistic and what's not to like? I like Lena Dunham, I just don't find her "views" to be insightful or fresh and that seems to be the talking points when discussing her work. If you've seen Tiny Furniture you'd probably wonder why on earth the Criterion Collection decided to do a version of that film too. It's vapid. I do like that she seems to take criticism to heart though.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Culburn369

Post by Culburn369 »

I just watch "Walking Dead" of "new" shows.

It's never been top shelf, but, it's entertaining. It's maddening as you find so many holes episode to episode, but, yet I'm DVR'ing every Sunday nite at 10 and watching thereafter.

On a regular basis though I just watch the old stuff and there is a bevy of it now. Alfred Hitchcock, Hogan's Heroes, Mr. Ed, Green Acres, The Fugitive, Bat Masterson. It's amazing how the production back in those days worked so well. And of course the old movies never grow old.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

I have The Fugitive, an 80 gig torrent of Alfred Hitchcock, and all the classic Twilight Zones. Of course, I'm somewhat of an archivist (7 terabytes of television so far archived.) There is definitely something to be said for old school production values, pacing, deeper scripts, and actors that can act rather then look "hot."

Culburn369

Post by Culburn369 »

Phoenix219 wrote:I have The Fugitive, an 80 gig torrent of Alfred Hitchcock, and all the classic Twilight Zones. Of course, I'm somewhat of an archivist (7 terabytes of television so far archived.) There is definitely something to be said for old school production values, pacing, deeper scripts, and actors that can act rather then look "hot."
It is amazing what they did in 24 minutes of air time. And it doesn't look rushed.

I'm into Hogan's Heroes currently. They balance the humor and serious tone of war majestically. They balance the need to have Klink be foolish and yet still be commandant material. That's hard over a 5 year run. But, every once in a while I see the palm trees of Southern California in the backgrounds.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Walking Dead is fun unless you start to analyze it too deeply. Its writing and plots don't hold up to much scrutiny. Season 1 of walking dead was spectacular but 2 was a big drop. 3 had more action but incoherent plotting. Haven't seen season 4 yet.

carey

Post by carey »

Mori Chu wrote:Walking Dead is fun unless you start to analyze it too deeply. Its writing and plots don't hold up to much scrutiny. Season 1 of walking dead was spectacular but 2 was a big drop. 3 had more action but incoherent plotting. Haven't seen season 4 yet.
I gave up on it a while ago. The big theme seems to be "what does it take to lead under the harshest imaginable circumstances?" Plot wise it's the same plot recycled over & over. Find a place that seems safe, set up shop, get overrun by zombies, run. Rinse & repeat. Meanwhile Rick makes questionable decisions, doubts self, people tell him how much he's needed, makes more questionable decisions. Rinse & repeat. A blind baboon could run that show the way it's currently set up. People just love zombies.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Yeah, the first few episodes of S2 bored me to tears, and I stopped watching. The 6 episode original mini series was great. Too many episodes slows down the plot. Heh, i'm so early in the show, that I'm still not sure what the secret the scientist guy whispered at the end of the first season was. :D Have the rest downloaded for a bored day, i guess, but theres so much TV to watch, i'll never get caught up...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:Anybody else watched American Horror Story? I watched Season 3 and mostly enjoyed it, though it was a little ... girly.
I've watched all three seasons. Still like 1 the best. Pretty cool how they use the same actors in different roles.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Anybody else watching The Americans? I really dig it.

For newish comedies, I like Portlandia and Key and Peele. Comedy Bang Bang is fun too.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Phoenix219 wrote:I have The Fugitive, an 80 gig torrent of Alfred Hitchcock, and all the classic Twilight Zones. Of course, I'm somewhat of an archivist (7 terabytes of television so far archived.) There is definitely something to be said for old school production values, pacing, deeper scripts, and actors that can act rather then look "hot."
Wow. What do you store all that on?

"Be Legendary."

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Superbone wrote:
Wow. What do you store all that on?
External hard drives... they plug into the USB port of my Sony dvd player. I'm picking up a 4TB "My book" soon... I have a 2TB My Book, 2 1TB little flat ones, and another 2TB flat one. The full size 2TB is full of TV, one of the 1TBs is filled with vintage 60s to 90s cartoons, one of the 1TBs in permanently mounted inside a RGH modded 360 and full of arcade content and 360 ISOs.... the other 2TB runs the game machine in the front (every game made on all platforms from the 70s up to PS1/N64 era), has a music discography archive and a big ass collection of movies. When I get the new 4TB, that will be the new TV drive, and the movies will all move onto their own 2TB drive.

I guess I should have said, 7TBs of games, music, movies and television archived.

Culburn369

Post by Culburn369 »

I watched a good Hitchcock the other nite. It was a 30 minute episode and dealt with a woman isolated in a cabin in the woods. There has been an escape from a local insane asylum. She knows this but decides to stay for the weekend anyway scoffing at the thought of the danger. Sure enough there comes a knock on the cabin door after nightfall. It's a woman asking to be let in. She won't let her in. The stranger goes away, and the woman inside has a moment of guilt and regret, opens the door and goes outside to retrieve her. She's gone though and the camera angles back into the cabin from the back of the room where this stranger has come into the house unbeknownst to the woman, has her back to the camera and is facing the door. She has a parka pulled over her head so it looks quite terrifying and reminds me of the movie "Strangers" from a couple years ago. When the woman turns around she screams at the sight, but, the woman is a young adult woman who tells her tale of woe to this woman. She just couldn't take it anymore and just needed to get away and wandered thru the night. She alerts the owner that she saw a man watching her from some a tree line, but, did not inquire of this man.]]]

I'll continue it later...

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Finished Breaking Bad, loved it. Currently watching House of Cards by myself, which is phenomenal. Really like Mad Men, need to catch up though. Also, started watching Friday Night Lights, and really like it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass