What TV shows are you guys watching?

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Mori Chu

Re: What TV shows are you guys watching?

Post by Mori Chu »

Spoiler: show/hide

Indy

Post by Indy »

iLLmatic wrote:My apologies. I edited to the spoilers tag, I just thought because you guys were talking about farmer Rick and such that I didn't need to do that.
No worries. This thread is a mish-mash of a ton of things.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Walking Dead The Last Generation
Walking Dead Deep Outpost 9
Walking Dead Voyager to Nowhere

Indy

Post by Indy »

Those are cross-overs I want to see.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

There are actually some Star Trek zombie comics. They weren't too bad.

http://www.comicvine.com/infestation/4045-56330/

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It's New Year's Eve tonight. What are you guys doing? Staying home and watching tv? I am doing a gig at the Different Point of View, the Resturaunt at the top of the 7st Hilton.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Anyone catch The Man in the High Castle?

I was pretty wary about this one...this used to be one of my favorite books. Philip K. Dick is certainly my favorite author (or at least up there in the top three, who I can't really choose between). But so many of his stories and books translate very poorly to the screen...Blade Runner being the only one that I think made a solid movie, and that was radically changed from the novel. And you may or may not recall that I was extremely disappointed in The Minority Report. (Total Recall and Screamers don't count, having been made from real sci fi into action movies set in a fictional universe, with only a few plot points in common with the originals. And we don't need to talk about that Ben Affleck atrocity.)

So...when I heard about TMITHC becoming a show on Amazon Prime, I was nervous. However, after the premiere, I am super stoked for the show. No spoilers, but here's the general premise:

Alternate history...Hitler won, and the Axis divided up the continent between them. The Japanese rule the Pacific side, and the Germans rule the east. There's also a "neutral zone" (although it's anything but neutral, more just that it has held up some resistance) in the middle. Hitler is dying, and the Pacific side is worried that after he goes, his 2nd in command will turn on the Japanese and wipe out the Pacific seaboard. But the focus of the story is...well, I'll let you figure that out.

Let's just say there is no such thing as a Philip K. Dick historic fiction unless it has a pretty huge twist, and there's a reason he's one of the best science fiction writers of all time.
Last edited by Ghost on Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ghost wrote:Anyone catch The Man in the High Castle?
I hadn't heard of it. I'll definitely check it out!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

That's just the pilot. You have to make sure you leave Amazon feedback & vote for them to take it to series. So be sure to do that.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Yep, I did. I'm pretty confident this one will get picked up, particularly considering what I'm seeing about their other pilots this year (which is that they aren't good).

carey

Post by carey »

The best so far has been "Transparent." It won a golden globe. I thought Chris Carter's show "The After" was going to go to series but it was pretty bad and they rescinded the order. Alpha House is ok. Nothing special but I'm a John Goodman fan.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

I haven't seen Transparent. I've been an Amazon Prime customer for a long time, but somehow didn't know about their originals. I have heard some pretty damn good things, though.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

The only problem with Amazon Pilots is they take forever to actually launch the shows. I'm pretty sure I watched the pilot for Bosch (the books are great) last year and it still hasn't premiered.

carey

Post by carey »

Dan H wrote:The only problem with Amazon Pilots is they take forever to actually launch the shows. I'm pretty sure I watched the pilot for Bosch (the books are great) last year and it still hasn't premiered.
That's because they stagger the launches & do entire seasons at one time like Netflix. Don't think Bosch has a premiere date but the man in black getting his own show is cool.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

carey wrote:
Dan H wrote:The only problem with Amazon Pilots is they take forever to actually launch the shows. I'm pretty sure I watched the pilot for Bosch (the books are great) last year and it still hasn't premiered.
That's because they stagger the launches & do entire seasons at one time like Netflix. Don't think Bosch has a premiere date but the man in black getting his own show is cool.
February 13. Super stoked. I just read the latest book as well and it's still going strong. I don't know what Connelly will do with the character once he finally retires from the police department. Maybe work with Haller (McConaughey's character from Lincoln Lawyer, if you haven't read those.)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think it's awesome that we have reached a point where people other than the TV networks can actually launch TV shows and have them be legitimately successful. Amazon, Netflix, etc. Leads to more interesting and diverse kinds of shows that we probably wouldn't see otherwise.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Mori Chu wrote:I think it's awesome that we have reached a point where people other than the TV networks can actually launch TV shows and have them be legitimately successful. Amazon, Netflix, etc. Leads to more interesting and diverse kinds of shows that we probably wouldn't see otherwise.
And we aren't talking cut-rate stuff, either. A lot of these shows blow the networks out of the water, and even give HBO a run for their money. It really is amazing, and with so many options, it allows so much more creativity and risk taking on their part. I had severe doubts when Netflix started talking about making original content...but boy, was I wrong.

carey

Post by carey »

Anyone check out SyFy's TV version of Terry Gilliam's 12 Monkeys?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Yeah, another one I had doubts about, but so far, so good.