RIP David Sanborn

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Superbone

RIP David Sanborn

Post by Superbone »

His music crossed boundaries. Here’s a good sampling of his playing. He died of complications from prostate cancer at 78.

"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Re: RIP David Sanborn

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm not going to pretend like I'm familiar with this guy, but I'll just say the world is a better place when a world class saxophonist is a part of popular music.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

RIP…. I’m not familiar with the name but have definitely heard his work.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I am definitely familiar with the name. He’s a legend in the sax world from way back. Think he was known more for his pop jazz playing more than straight ahead jazz. If you wanted a sax solo on your record, he was the guy to call.

NEW YORK -- David Sanborn, the Grammy-winning saxophonist who played lively solos on such hits as David Bowie's “Young Americans” and James Taylor's “How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)” and enjoyed his own highly successful recording career as a performer of melodic, contemporary jazz, has died at age 78.

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

I knew of him because he was a regular guest with the David Letterman band back in the early days when it was just a 4-piece group. It was always cool to see him on the show and have that extra texture with their music. Great player, seemed like a cool guy. RIP.