What movies are you guys watching?

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Ghost

Re: What movies are you guys watching?

Post by Ghost »

carey wrote:
Dan H wrote:It's just jarring, kind of like Cuba Gooding Jr doing that dumb movie with Skeet Ulrich right after winning an Oscar.
Maybe you're not familiar with the last 10 years of SLJ's work? Pull up his IMDB page and have a gander. There are a ton of stinkers on there.... Kite, Snakes on a plane, Soul Men, Jumper, The Spirit. He's not as bad as Nick Cage as far as 'keep gettin' dem checks' but he'll take a job for the money.
Hey, Snakes on a Plane was exactly what it promised, and then some. That was a great movie. Not a GOOD movie, mind you, but a great one all the same.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Ghost wrote:
carey wrote:
Dan H wrote:It's just jarring, kind of like Cuba Gooding Jr doing that dumb movie with Skeet Ulrich right after winning an Oscar.
Maybe you're not familiar with the last 10 years of SLJ's work? Pull up his IMDB page and have a gander. There are a ton of stinkers on there.... Kite, Snakes on a plane, Soul Men, Jumper, The Spirit. He's not as bad as Nick Cage as far as 'keep gettin' dem checks' but he'll take a job for the money.
Hey, Snakes on a Plane was exactly what it promised, and then some. That was a great movie. Not a GOOD movie, mind you, but a great one all the same.
Good point.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Finally saw Birdman. It was pretty amazing. The story was good, but the acting and most of all the directing was amazing. They way they shot that movie to look like one, long, single-camera take was just amazing.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Saw the Imitation Game yesterday. Fantastic movie.
Spoiler: show/hide
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:Finally saw Birdman. It was pretty amazing. The story was good, but the acting and most of all the directing was amazing. They way they shot that movie to look like one, long, single-camera take was just amazing.
Yeah, I really want to see that and Boyhood.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Both are very well made movies, but not awesome stories (IMO). The amazing thing about Boyhood is that anyone, much less everyone, signed up for a 12 year movie making process. It is just amazing.

For Birdman, it really is they way they structured the scenes and shot the movie. Some scenes are several minutes long with lots going on, without a single cut.

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

Birdman wasn't my favorite movie of the year, but it was definitely worth seeing. For the first 15 minutes of the movie, I thought it was pretty pretentious, a little too...self-indulgent, I guess. I'm not a big fan of movies that double as commentary about making movies. But after that first 15 minutes, I was won over. Michael Keaton's performance is outstanding. From a technical standpoint, the film is pretty extraordinary. Great ending, too.

Still need to see Boyhood.

Thinking about seeing Imitation Game today, but we'll see.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

The DC TV discussion reminded me of the movie I have been looking forward to more than just about any other in years...The Sandman. This was the first comic I ever read (I was a late bloomer), and it remains, hands down, the best. Nothing else is even close. Neil Gaiman is simply the best storyteller in generations. I seriously cannot wait to see this.

But...

The movie almost seems plagued to fail. All I ever hear about are delays, and the story (depending on which part they go with, if they adhere to the comics at all) is so rich and complex that I can definitely see being extremely disappointed, even with Neil Gaiman himself involved in the production. Even with that, much of the story has a very different tone than what we are used to in Western literature, and I can see it being a great movie and still not being successful. But, I truly hope I'm wrong. And that it actually happens.

carey

Post by carey »

I read Sandman, all of it, with a book club. That was an interesting discussion every month because it is so full of real history.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Holy Shit YES! AQUAMAN!!!

TOO

Post by TOO »

That ain't your mama's Aquaman. Whoa.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Meh. Everyone knows the Dothraki can't cross the narrow sea.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:Meh. Everyone knows the Dothraki can't cross the narrow sea.
+1

Nailed it...
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Unsullied will do it, though. Just fly the Dothraki over on Drogon Express Airways.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Voices starring Ryan Reynolds
Black or White starring Kevin Costner

SDC

Post by SDC »

I've seen all the oscar nominated best pictures.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I saw Birdman with my lady the other day. I respected it but didn't actually like it. The tone was weird and the all-one-continuous-take thing distracted me. Liked Nightcrawler a lot more.

SDC

Post by SDC »

nightcrawler is so much better. boyhood is a gimmick. best movie for me is budapest hotel.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:I saw Birdman with my lady the other day. I respected it but didn't actually like it. The tone was weird and the all-one-continuous-take thing distracted me. Liked Nightcrawler a lot more.
Haven't seen Nightcrawler yet. I thought Birdman was a masterpeice of movie making. That said, I don't think the story was that great. But the acting and directing were amazing.

My favorite movie of the year was Guardians of the Galaxy, and I don't even like superhero movies for the most part.

American Sniper was fine, but nothing special. Didn't see Grand Budapest Hotel yet either.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SDC wrote:I've seen all the oscar nominated best pictures.
How did you like Whiplash?

"Be Legendary."