Game of Thrones

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: What TV shows are you guys watching?

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Mori Chu wrote:That would make sense from a plot perspective, because we've ended this episode thinking that Tyrion's champion lost and that he is going to be executed, but if both fighters die, what becomes of the accused?
I had this same thought yesterday, but that went out the window as I watched the scene with Jamie and Tyrion in the holding cell. It was pretty obvious who was going to win the battle at that point.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

carey

Post by carey »

Flagrant Fowl wrote: I was told by a reader that The Hound and Arya don't make it to The Eyrie together in the book. Is that what you remember as well?
That is 100% accurate. They've fiddled with it to keep her & the hound's odd couple routine around. Arya fans will love what she does next tho (logical continuation of her character.)
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

In other words, she kills him.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

TOO

Post by TOO »

That was my guess as well, I also think Tyrion somehow kills Tywin and either escapes or dies. I'm most excited for Littlefinger and Sansa tho, it looks like shes turned the corner.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Fucking giants....they can really fuck shit up.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The scythe was awesome.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Well done Game of Thrones, see you next year.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That finale was great, and the season overall has been superb. I was really impressed. The show has grown a lot over the four years it's been on. I didn't like the Episode 9, the attack on the Wall, especially well; but I had to admit that it was basically LotR-level sfx and production values on a "free" TV show. The standards are pretty high.

carey

Post by carey »

The Brienne v. Hound fight isn't in the book, but they've been on a collision course all season, so that was really cool to watch.

I really wish people would stop assuming a character is dead until said character takes their last breath.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Man a lot is happening that didn't happened in the books. How about Jojen reed dying? Haven't started the last two books yet but I have been getting very mixed responses from the people I have asked that have read them.

carey

Post by carey »

Wally_West wrote:Man a lot is happening that didn't happened in the books. How about Jojen reed dying? Haven't started the last two books yet but I have been getting very mixed responses from the people I have asked that have read them.
They key thing to realize is that GRRM has told the producers/writers where this thing is going to end up. So if they kill off a character (or not) is a good hint at the importance of that character.

I was sorry to see Ferb go, but it's not really a major loss since we get the 3-eyed Crow in return.

There was one giant omission last night though and that is a certain zombie person that definitely should have appeared by now. In fact, I would have bet my life that the closing shot of the season was going to be this person rising from the water. Not sure what it means that they haven't been introduced yet.

Everything else was fantastic.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

carey wrote:There was one giant omission last night though and that is a certain zombie person that definitely should have appeared by now. In fact, I would have bet my life that the closing shot of the season was going to be this person rising from the water. Not sure what it means that they haven't been introduced yet.
DONTOS HOLLARD?!!? :o

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
carey wrote:There was one giant omission last night though and that is a certain zombie person that definitely should have appeared by now. In fact, I would have bet my life that the closing shot of the season was going to be this person rising from the water. Not sure what it means that they haven't been introduced yet.
DONTOS HOLLARD?!!? :o
I think Carey is referring to a certain lady character with a heart of stone. ;)
Honestly I think it might be something they wait til the season 5 opener or maybe even the season 5 finale.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I could really have done without Said lady's arch with Dondarrion later in the books, truth be told.

All in all the season has been good, but too many things happen every single episode. The book is probably the best one so far, but it is so dense in events that the show would have benefited from more episodes, if not two seasons altogether. I would have made sacrifices with the following books instead.

Great point about the black castle. In my opinion it is better executed than the battles in LotR and the Hobbit. Almost all I want from those melees is coordination and realism in form of some good guys dying and getting hurt. Also, Ygritte's death has been altered a little but that was expected so she could fall in John's arms.

carey

Post by carey »

Uh, book 3 was two seasons. Season 3 & 4. They had some stuff thrown in from book 4 and even a little of 5 to keep Dany and John on screen, but otherwise they showed almost all of book 3 over those 2 seasons.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

It does? I have to read the books again.

carey

Game of Thrones

Post by carey »

Ring_Wanted wrote:It does? I have to read the books again.
Yeah, I mean the Red Wedding (finale of season 3) is in the middle of book 3.

Oh, I guess the Theon torture stuff is in book 4 too which they've been doing for almost 2 full seasons. Blech. Boring.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Theon's story is interesting. The whole owning a human being and all. It's the witchcraft what I suffer the least. All the Melisandre, Dondarrion, Hodor & co, and the white walkers stuff, basically. It got to a point that I directly skipped it in the books.

carey

Post by carey »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Theon's story is interesting. The whole owning a human being and all. It's the witchcraft what I suffer the least. All the Melisandre, Dondarrion, Hodor & co, and the white walkers stuff, basically. It got to a point that I directly skipped it in the books.
Weird. That's the stuff I find most interesting because we know so little about it still after 5 books. What is the red God? Where are the white walkers from & what's causing it to happen? How has the lightning Lord been resurrected 6 times? If Coldhands was a member of the night's watch previously how'd he get that way? All that is interesting to me.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Overall magic is just not really my cup of tea with the exception of dragons (mythological cretures in general) and Arya's time in Bravos, but that's not exactly magic. I like much better the 'regular' human stuff. Varys and Little Finger's intrigues, Tyrion and the Lannisters, war strategy and battles, etc.

Maybe I have that impression because the way it is mixed in GOT. There seems to be a clear cut between mundane and supernatural affairs, whereas in LOTR for instance it is all more deeply blended.

I get that from the GOT perspective, most of the characters are just hopelessly unaware of those forces that govern the world (which is obviously changing over as things develop for some of the characters), but in other sagas there is a general consciousness of how insignificant humans are compared to those powers, and that's the method I prefer, at least specifically compared to GOT.