What movies are you guys watching?

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Mori Chu

Re: What movies are you guys watching?

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:I don't know why, but I have no desire to see Rogue One. Huge Star Wars fan, thought TFA was great (but a bit of a retread). Still, not interested in Rogue.
I am right there with you 100% on that one, Shel. It just feels like an unnecessary movie to me. Some in-between story about how the Rebels stole Death Star plans? ... So what? It isn't about characters that I have any connection to, and the events of the film don't really matter to the overall story of Star Wars in any way, so why should I care? Also, what I've heard about the film is that it has great action and tone and does a good job enriching the story and so on, but that the characters are a bit flat and lifeless and don't convince you to care about them much. Force Awakens did a good job I thought with their main characters like Rey and Finn and Kylo Ren and so on. All these characters are just made up for this movie and presumably end up dead or don't matter to any other later films. What's the point?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Shel and Mori at the movies:

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I watched The Accountant last night. I liked the concept of an action hero who falls somewhere on the spectrum, even if it was essentially a rip off of John Wick. The third act though, that was hot garbage.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Ha!

I read some decent things about The Accountant but I just can't take Ben Affleck seriously for some reason. He's starting to look kinda weird with the wigs and botox. He was good as Bruce Wayne tho and I'm looking forward to seeing more him in that world. But The Accountant and Live by Night...meh.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
ShelC wrote:I don't know why, but I have no desire to see Rogue One. Huge Star Wars fan, thought TFA was great (but a bit of a retread). Still, not interested in Rogue.
I am right there with you 100% on that one, Shel. It just feels like an unnecessary movie to me. Some in-between story about how the Rebels stole Death Star plans? ... So what? It isn't about characters that I have any connection to, and the events of the film don't really matter to the overall story of Star Wars in any way, so why should I care? Also, what I've heard about the film is that it has great action and tone and does a good job enriching the story and so on, but that the characters are a bit flat and lifeless and don't convince you to care about them much. Force Awakens did a good job I thought with their main characters like Rey and Finn and Kylo Ren and so on. All these characters are just made up for this movie and presumably end up dead or don't matter to any other later films. What's the point?
I would put Rogue One as the 3rd best Star Wars movie, without question.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

There's at least as much intrigue in the operation to steal the Death Star plans as there is in the question "what was Darth Vader like as an 8 year old?" and I'm sure you paid money to find out the latter.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

My nerd friends are all raving about Hidden Figures.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm on vacation for a while, so I've been watching a lot of movies from the past year for the first time recently.

The Accountant: I already gave my opinion a few days ago. Overall a pretty solid action movie 2.75/4.

Snowden: A really well made film, albeit extremely politically one-sided. 3/4.

The Magnificent 7: I'm not familiar with the original. Good but not great film, but Chris Pratt's role is worth .25 points by itself. 3/4.

Bad Moms: Basically The Hangover for women, and I kind of enjoyed that. There were definitely some misses, but I think they hit on a lot of the jokes. 3/4.

Eye In The Sky: Brutally boring after about the hour mark. Had more potential but just plain fell flat. 2/4.

Star Wars Rouge One: I'm not a Star Wars fan by any means, but this was a really well made action fantasy. A bit long for my liking. 3.25/4.

Zero Days: A documentary on the Stuxent cyber weapon used to destroy an Iranian nuclear facility in 2010(?). Very interesting and well made for a documentary on complex topic. 3/4.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:My nerd friends are all raving about Hidden Figures.
Same here. It's on my short list of movies to see.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I finally got a chance to see Arrival and loved it. Best movie I saw this year. Thoughtful intelligent sci-fi.
Agreed. Amy Adams is in the running for an Academy Award.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

SDC

Post by SDC »

jack reacher 2

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Has anyone seen Nocturnal Animals? I think it was pretty interesting, but has more layers than my simpleton mind can deconstruct.

carey

Post by carey »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:Has anyone seen Nocturnal Animals? I think it was pretty interesting, but has more layers than my simpleton mind can deconstruct.
Yes. Thought the performances were great, but I did not like the movie.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I saw La La Land a few days ago and it was great.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

A good buddy of mine just saw the new M Night film, Split, and he said it was cool. Getting 76% on Rotten Tomatoes.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:A good buddy of mine just saw the new M Night film, Split, and he said it was cool. Getting 76% on Rotten Tomatoes.
Seeing that tomorrow night for a date. She thinks it looks interesting too. I'll let you know what I think.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

carey

Post by carey »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Seeing that tomorrow night for a date. She thinks it looks interesting too. I'll let you know what I think.
That very last scene!
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

carey wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
That very last scene!
It was good.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

carey

Post by carey »

AmareIsGod wrote:

It was good.
Spoiler: show/hide
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

carey wrote: