Comics

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
JeffreyLee

Re: Comics

Post by JeffreyLee »

I like the marvel civil war graphic novel.
You sold me two quier giraffes

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Phoenix219 wrote: Everything that I've read about Nu52 disgusts me. What they've done to the Bat books (Jokers face?), already killing Damien, somehow shoehorning the entire history of Batman into a few years but somehow allowing all the Robins to still exist (except, Tim was never Robin now), bringing back Batgirl, restoring Barry but getting rid of Wally, the complete character destruction of Alan Scott, the removal of all the history and legacy of the entire universe... I can't fathom it, can't stomach it, and sure as hell can't read it. I loved the Superman books in the 90s (when they were coming out weekly and serialized, regardless of what "title" it was) but it definitely feels like they have lost their way with just about all their marquee characters.
Yeah I understand where you are coming from, but seeing how some theses characters are 70 plus years old, it was inevitable that some reinvention and reinterpretation was going to happen at some point. I would say I am fairly new to reading comics, I have only been doing it for about the past 6 years now and before that it was just major collected stories that I read, so I am probably more lenient because of that fact. The whole reason I got into comics was because of the DCAU. From everything I read in the past and other people I talked to, it seem that DC’s best years are somewhat behind them but for now I am enjoying many of the titles they have so I’m just happy for that. :D

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

It was muddled continuity, to be sure, but the long history was explained via alternate universes, like Earth 2; Even post crisis, the previous history was basically remembered and acknowledged, even if it was no longer physically accessible. There were all types of complicated yet entertaining reasons that heroes with WW2 histories and what not could still be fighting alongside modern day versions of the characters, and helped establish the lines that became Legacy characters, of which Flash is a shining example. If they had done things the "modern" way back then, we would have never gotten any other Flash but Barry... he would have just been rebooted as Barry every time, and we would have never had Wally or Bart or Max or any of the rest.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I bought a lot of comics from 1975 up to a couple of years back (with a break in the 1990's when things got pretty bleak. Mostly Marvel, some DC and a smattering of smaller publishers. I still buy an occasional issue if I know something that interests me is coming out (Uncanny Avengers, Avengers: A.I., and Beasts of Burden are a few examples), but most of the time when I want to read a comic I pull out something like some Walt Simonson Thor, Jim Starlin Warlock, Chris Claremon/Dave Cockrum or John Byrne X-Men, Steve Englehart/Sal Buscema or George Perez Avengers, John Byrne Fantastic Four, Stan Lee/John Romita Spider-Man or Stan Lee/Jack Kirby Fantastic Four and pass the time.

I am still hooked on the movies however, and I do try to keep up on what is going on in the comics industry.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Cap

Post by Cap »

The only series I read regularly is Star Trek: Ongoing.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Cap wrote:The only series I read regularly is Star Trek: Ongoing.

Whats that? What era, timeline, ship or crew does it use?

Have you ever heard of the web series "Star Trek Continues" ? Extremely well made fan series that captures the essence of the 60s show completely. Definitely better then the competition in the fanfilm department. They got Lou Ferengo to paint up green as an Orion for their last episode.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Phoenix219 wrote:

It's in the Abramsverse. The current timeline is after the events of Into Darkness.

The Abramsverse also has a five-issue miniseries, Star Trek: Khan, that explains among other things why Benedict Cumberbatch looks and sounds nothing like Ricardo Montalban. (The rest of the cast aren't dead ringers for their Prime Universe counterparts so I'm not sure it really demands explanation, but there it is.)

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Cap wrote:
Phoenix219 wrote:

It's in the Abramsverse. The current timeline is after the events of Into Darkness.

The Abramsverse also has a five-issue miniseries, Star Trek: Khan, that explains among other things why Benedict Cumberbatch looks and sounds nothing like Ricardo Montalban. (The rest of the cast aren't dead ringers for their Prime Universe counterparts so I'm not sure it really demands explanation, but there it is.)
They at least attempt to make a similar look with the regular crew though; With Khan, they managed to changed his ethnicity completely, and since he was frozen before the "timeline rewrite" the changed everything in the first Abrams movie, then he and his people should have not just been "similar" but *identical* to the Khan they found in Space Seed.

Of course, a single throwaway line in the movie about changing his apperance when taking on the John Harrison moniker would have been all it needed, but a lot of Trek fans are very loud with their complaints... hence that comic series.

My biggest issue with Into Darkness was that it felt like the crammed a Season worth of JJ Abrams tv plots and storylines into a 2 hour movie, and therefore had no suspense to the twists and what not. Each plot point felt rushed as hell.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Phoenix219 wrote:
Have you ever heard of the web series "Star Trek Continues" ? Extremely well made fan series that captures the essence of the 60s show completely. Definitely better then the competition in the fanfilm department. They got Lou Ferengo to paint up green as an Orion for their last episode.
http://www.startrekcontinues.com/

Heres a link with the 2 episodes and what not if anyone is bored or curious. Heh.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I liked Into Darkness when I first saw it but after repeated viewings, all the lazy writing and plot holes became way more apparent. One of the biggest problems going in was the whole keeping Khan "secret" to the audience so they can be surprised watching the movie. Pretty everyone knew that he was going to be Khan in the movie, and it became clear that they only had that "twist" for the sake of having it. I don’t understand the motivation for trying to keep khan’s identity secret leading up to the movie. He is one of the biggest star trek villains out there and you should be marketing the shit out of that. Also the whole soft political commentary didn't work for me either; it felt like they didn't want to commit to that idea, that detail just sort of gets swept under the rug after being mentioned in the movie and never really fully explored.
Also I really hate how much they are not exploring the friendship between Spock, Kirk and McCoy. They basically made McCoy just another member of the crew and I really don't like that. I like the fact that Uhura has a bigger role but I don't get why they made McCoy have such a reduced one when both can have big roles.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

I haven't read comics in years, and the Nu52 turned me off to everything, but Morrison's Multiversity is finally coming out, and I really might check it out.

If DC would just declare that the classic post crisis DCU is "Universe #XX" of the 52 and allowed writers to play there every so often, this whole thing would set a lot better with me.

Captain Marv-el

Post by Captain Marv-el »

Any Ash Ave, Gregs or Gotham folk
$HAϟAM

Hiphop Family Treeϟ Roots