Latest Military Hardware

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
In2ition

Re: Latest Military Hardware

Post by In2ition »

Haha! Those are good, Nodack.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

US Army Is Building The World's 'Most Powerful' Laser Weapon
These lasers would emit bullet-like pulses of light that would exterminate the target.
https://interestingengineering.com/us-a ... ser-weapon
The Tactical Ultrashort Pulsed Laser for Army Platforms, as the laser system will be called, will be a million times more powerful than any other laser platform before it, reported New Scientist, the first to publish the news.

The Tactical Ultrashort Pulsed Laser (UPSL) platform will be different from the current laser systems, as it will emit short pulses that rely on low energy. In contrast, current lasers typically emit continuous beams.

The new system is being designed to reach a terawatt for a short 200 femtoseconds — or one quadrillionth of a second. In that time, the UPSL would be able to vaporize a drone. On top of that, the hope is that it'll also be able to disrupt electronic systems in its vicinity, turning it also into a functional electromagnetic pulse (EMP).

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Are they going to be hand held and/or used by storm troopers that can't hit a target?
J/k

Seriously, were they developed by super young college students and a dean that held their futures over their head to finish?
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:48 pm
US Army Is Building The World's 'Most Powerful' Laser Weapon
These lasers would emit bullet-like pulses of light that would exterminate the target.
https://interestingengineering.com/us-a ... ser-weapon
The Tactical Ultrashort Pulsed Laser for Army Platforms, as the laser system will be called, will be a million times more powerful than any other laser platform before it, reported New Scientist, the first to publish the news.

The Tactical Ultrashort Pulsed Laser (UPSL) platform will be different from the current laser systems, as it will emit short pulses that rely on low energy. In contrast, current lasers typically emit continuous beams.

The new system is being designed to reach a terawatt for a short 200 femtoseconds — or one quadrillionth of a second. In that time, the UPSL would be able to vaporize a drone. On top of that, the hope is that it'll also be able to disrupt electronic systems in its vicinity, turning it also into a functional electromagnetic pulse (EMP).
That much power could send the Doc and Marty on almost 1000 trips in the DeLorean. I am curious how they plan to generate that much power, even in short bursts.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I thought they said it was low energy and instead of a constant beam it’s a single blast 200 femtoseconds — or one quadrillionth of a second long. That sounds like it takes less energy.

Indy

Post by Indy »

It is extremely high power, but a very short period of time. A terawatt is the equivalent to 10 billion 100W light bulbs on at the same time, even though they are only on for that femtosecond.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The first flight on another planet. It carried a piece of the Wright Brothers airplane with it. That is so cool.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Pretty amazing. At first I thought those were videos of the helicopter out in the desert. Mars just looks like a desert with soil and rocks. The Martians must be underground.
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. ACCOMPLISHED! 34 wins in a shortened season! Like it mattered. We rarely see Wormwood anyway!

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I know. It looks like they filmed the video just outside Phoenix. I suppose Mars is just another big rock sailing around our solar system made from the same stuff Earth is.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:06 am
I know. It looks like they filmed the video just outside Phoenix. I suppose Mars is just another big rock sailing around our solar system made from the same stuff Earth is.
It is fascinating though, isn't it? Seeing it up close and personal? But yeah, that's the impression I get. Do we know if the entire planet surface is uniformly like that?
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. ACCOMPLISHED! 34 wins in a shortened season! Like it mattered. We rarely see Wormwood anyway!