Tech That Is New

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
In2ition

Re: New Tech

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:27 pm
Also, I can attest to LSD being instrumental in many positive changes in my life. I tried it a little later in life and had about 3 very controlled but fairly high level doses I took.
What's the LSD personal history in reference too?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:40 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Also, I can attest to LSD being instrumental in many positive changes in my life. I tried it a little later in life and had about 3 very controlled but fairly high level doses I took.
Nodack made a huge post about Steve Jobs and Bill Gates use of LSD and the profound impact it had.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:04 am
In2ition wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:40 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Nodack made a huge post about Steve Jobs and Bill Gates use of LSD and the profound impact it had.
Thanks, I missed/forgot that.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Anybody tried psilocybin mushrooms?
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

LazarusLong wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:08 pm
Anybody tried psilocybin mushrooms?
Yes. I want to say 3 times. Around the same number of times I tried LSD. Much more mild experience in my case. A lot of music I enjoy sounded terrible. Laughed at a lot of ridiculous things. Thought I looked like a man lizard when I'd look in the mirror.

LSD was a lot more audio and visual hallucinations. I'd draw on paper and the lines would create branching out roots and veins on the paper that would appear before I'd draw them. The ink seemed alive. I would lay in the bed with nice low lighting and the comforter bunched up would look like vast canyons and valleys. I'd close my eyes with my headphones on listening to music I loved. There was a colorful three dimensional orchestra of moving lights dancing and pulsing to the music. I was able to deep dive into memories and thoughts, pause those memories and thoughts and pan around them in different directions. Time stood still during my strong LSD trips. I would detach from myself and my perspective about the world, the environment and objects was changed completely.

I broke down with tears of joy during the middle part of that strong LSD trip. I had suffered from a lot of depression and anxiety about many things up to that point in time. My entire world view and disposition changed completely from that day forward. When I say it was profound and changed me, it truly did.

The stuff was call 1P-LSD. I got it from a lab out of Canada online. It was shipped to me. I think I got around 16 - 24 tabs total. I have the rest of the tabs and sheet stored away. I remember paying for it with Bitcoin in the early days. That was the only way to have the secure and confidential purchase. I remember it was so weird because it cost me about $200 which was like 0.00364 Bitcoin at the time (I'm making that number up) and I could only buy in a 0.00500 increment or something. This was 5 or 6 years ago. The remaining 0.00221 Bitcoin sat there forever and I forgot about it. They were going to close my account so I cashed out the Bitcoin. That sliver had jumped up so much in value from that time that it was worth almost $800. Talk about a crazy investment I didn't even make intentionally.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Thanks for sharing Amareisgod. That’s a crazy story. I wondered how people would go about getting that stuff.

Tried shrooms a few times. Not sure what kind they were. They weren’t the kind you put on a salad. One kind of good experience, one really bad experience and one that really didn’t do anything. Not really my cup of tea.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Top five most advanced Army robots

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Awesome…

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

China Says ‘Hypersonic’ Object Put Into Orbit Was Space Vehicle

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ce-vehicle

China said the mystery object launched into space earlier this year was a reusable space vehicle, describing a more innocuous incident than a report over the weekend that Beijing sent a hypersonic missile into orbit.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said at a regular news briefing Monday that the test had “great significance for reducing the cost” of space flights.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Scientists Detect Radio Signals From Galaxy's Center, Have No Clue What It Is
https://www.vice.com/en/article/qj8gvq/ ... what-it-is
“It seems different to all types of astronomical objects we know, it may be a new type of object,” said the study's lead author.

Scientists have discovered a new cluster of unknown radio waves emanating from our galaxy’s center. According to scientists, the signals don’t line up with any known space object.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The Earth Is Inside an Enormous Cosmic Tunnel, New Research Proposes
The new model proposes a filament-like magnetic tunnel encompassing the entire solar system, explaining two mysterious features of the sky.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/93yex5/ ... h-proposes
In new research, scientists are proposing that Earth is situated within an enormous magnetized tunnel surrounding the entire solar system.

As detailed in a new study accepted for publication at the Astrophysical Journal and uploaded to arXiv, researchers at the University of Toronto’s Dunlap Institute, National Research Council Canada, and the University of British Columbia, this would explain the presence of two large, highly magnetic filamentary (rope-like) structures in the Milky Way with unexplained origins.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

China launches suspected anti-satellite weapon into space
https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2021 ... te-weapon/
China has launched a new satellite that analysts say can be used as a weapon capable of grabbing and crushing American satellites.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Weed Is the Jock’s Best Bud. Don’t Believe It? Ask a Jock.
https://news.yahoo.com/weed-jocks-best- ... 54320.html
If you’ve ever enjoyed exercise, you know what it’s like to be high on marijuana.

“One of the reasons people exercise—whether they realize it or not—is to enhance the production of anandamide,” says Raphael Mechoulam, an Israeli organic chemist often referred to as the Godfather of cannabis science. “You exercise, you feel better, and this is because of anandamide.”

Ever since the running boom of the ’70s and ’80s, skeptics have been rolling their eyes at the term “runner’s high,” doubtful that an activity so torturous as exercise could ever feel good. But multiple studies show that after 30 minutes of cardio (at around 70 percent max heart rate) most people experience a reduction in pain and an uptick in joy. They report feeling more connected to their bodies, to nature, and subsequently have positive association with exercise—making them more likely to do it again.

According to my reporting, the vast majority of professional athletes in every sport—from the MMA to the PGA, from the MLB to the NFL—are using cannabis before, during, or after their training and competition. And amateur athletes as well are sheepishly confessing that they’ve been getting high before their runs, basketball games, rock climbing, or weightlifting for years, certain that they were the only ones. A recent study out of CU Boulder surveyed the exercise habits of people living in states with legal weed and found that 80 percent of respondents were incorporating weed into their workout regimen.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Idk if this constitutes new tech though.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

My guess is they are practicing using drones to attack our carriers en mass in the opening salvo of the war. Drones are sort of new tech.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Bill Gates’ TerraPower aims to build its first advanced nuclear reactor in a coal town in Wyoming
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/17/bill-ga ... -town.html
Bill Gates’ TerraPower has chosen Kemmerer, Wyoming, a frontier-era coal town, as the site where the company will build its first demonstration nuclear power plant.
The plant will cost about $4 billion, half coming from TerraPower and half coming from the United States government, the company said.

“It’s a very serious government grant. This was necessary, I should mention, because the U.S. government and the U.S. nuclear industry was falling behind,” said Levesque.

The Kemmerer plant will be the first to use an advanced nuclear design called Natrium, developed by TerraPower with GE-Hitachi.

Natrium plants use liquid sodium as a cooling agent instead of water. Sodium has a higher boiling point and can absorb more heat than water, which means high pressure does not build up inside the reactor, reducing the risk of an explosion.

Also, Natrium plants do not require an outside energy source to operate their cooling systems, which can be a vulnerability in the case of an emergency shutdown. This contributed to the 2011 disaster at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant in Japan, when a tsunami shut down the diesel generators running its backup cooling system, contributing to a meltdown and release of radioactive material.

The Kemmerer plant still faces a couple of hurdles, including federal permitting.

“There’s a comprehensive licensing process overseen by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission that, frankly, is expensive,” Levesque said. “There are many, many reviews.”

Also, the fuel that the Natrium plant uses is called high-assay low-enriched uranium, or HALEU, which is not yet available at commercial scale.

The existing fleet of nuclear reactors in the United States runs uranium-235 fuel enriched up to 5%, the Department of Energy says, while HALEU is enriched between 5% and 20%.

“Sadly, we don’t have this enrichment capability in the U.S. today,” Levesque said. “And this is an area of great concern of the U.S. government and specifically the Department of Energy.”

But it’s coming, he said. “I’m really certain that we’re going to establish that capability” in another public-private partnership, similar to the way the Natrium power plant demonstration is being built.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I was just speaking to my boss about this today. Very cool tech.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59186655

Metallurgist admits faking steel test results for US Navy subs
Published 9 November
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59186655

A metallurgist in the US state of Washington has pleaded guilty to fraud after she spent decades faking the results of strength tests on steel that was being used to make Navy submarines.

Prosecutors say Elaine Marie Thomas, 67, gave false positive readings for strength and toughness tests in at least 240 cases between 1985 and 2017.

Authorities did not disclose which vessels were affected.

But there was no indication that any submarine hulls had failed.

Ms Thomas, of Auburn, Washington, was the director of metallurgy at a foundry in Tacoma that supplied steel castings used by Navy contractors to make submarine hulls, the US Attorney's Office for the Western District of Washington said in a statement.

Spoiler: show/hide

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

More evidence that drones are taking over warfare.

Kamikaze drones: A new weapon brings power and peril to the U.S. military
Some experts believe the spread of low-cost, light-weight "killer" drones will change ground warfare as profoundly as the machine gun did.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/military/k ... y-n1285415
They can leapfrog traditional defenses to strike infantry troops anywhere on the battlefield, and they cost just $6,000 apiece, compared to $150,000 for the Hellfire missile typically fired by Predator or Reaper drones. That capability could help save the lives of U.S. troops, but it could also put them — and Americans at home — in great danger from terrorists or nation-states that haven’t previously had access to such lethal and affordable technology.