Game of Thrones Season 8

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
BookTheGoat

Game of Thrones Season 8

Post by BookTheGoat »

2 episodes down. Anybody still watching? What are your thoughts so far?

Shit is about to hit the fan.

jonh

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8

Post by jonh »

I loved the last episode. I think there are going to be more main character deaths on sunday than in the last 3 seasons.

Indy

Post by Indy »

jonh wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:48 pm
I loved the last episode. I think there are going to be more main character deaths on sunday than in the last 3 seasons.
I liked the levity of the great hall scene. But they did keep beating us over the head about "the safest place in Winterfell" which clearly will be anything but, and giving good-bye scenes to the folks going to die.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

So, that was fucking incredible. I already loved this show, but damn, HBO has really done something great here.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Last night was good, gave us the payoff in terms of the battle with the dead. Thought it was a little dragged out, could've done without all the slow-mo and dramatic music for what seemed like the entire ending of the show. Also thought the episode was too dark to see at times and the CGI with the Dragons was lacking and hard to see as well. For me, nothing tops The Battle of the Bastards.

I kind of had a feeling certain characters would live because they'll be needed for the final battle and some storylines need to be closed up.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think the 85 minute episode was way too much. There were some pretty awesome visuals (like the swarm of torches going out one by one) but overall I care much more about the conversations and outcomes of the battles than seeing the actual battles. Sometimes they are great, other times I am just like meh.

I am hoping for a lot of filling in of the blanks the last 3 episodes instead of just rushing to a conclusion on the Iron Throne occupant(s).

Oh, and I hate fast/running zombies. Hate it.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I thought it was a very entertaining episode, but with a little too much fan service. Everyone who died got a hero death (protecting someone else, etc) and they didn't take out any A-players. 5,000 Dothraki get taken out in about 10 seconds, but Sam Tarley survives being attacked by 50 at once.
Last edited by Shabazz on Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:18 pm
I thought it was a very entertaining episode, but with a little too much fan service. Everyone who died got a hero death (protecting someone else, etc) and they didn't take out any A-players. 5,000 Dothraki get taken out in about 10 seconds, but Sam Tarley survives being attached by 50 at once.
Yeah, this wouldn't happen in season 1 or 2 or 3 or ...

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think the old man is coming out a bit much in some of you guys.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I said it was entertaining! It just seems like in the last few seasons there's been a departure from the way they used to do things and I kind of miss the feeling of danger that came with watching it in seasons 1-6. Small gripes. It's still the best thing on TV by a mile.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:51 pm
I said it was entertaining! It just seems like in the last few seasons there's been a departure from the way they used to do things and I kind of miss the feeling of danger that came with watching it in seasons 1-6. Small gripes. It's still the best thing on TV by a mile.
I think Better Call Saul is fantastic. And it does it with subtlety. It is my favorite show on right now. But GOT is right there with it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:43 pm
The production was 2nd to none, but the outcome you would see from nearly any typical TV show.

You didn't see it as almost pure fan service? All of the danger of the big 8 (Ice-clan, Fire-clan, Gold-clan, and even no-clan) was a farce and there were no consequences. It isn't like I was hoping for a Red Wedding-type disaster, but literally nobody we know died in the crypts. And Sam was surrounded by a dozen wights and he's fine now.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:18 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:43 pm
The production was 2nd to none, but the outcome you would see from nearly any typical TV show.

You didn't see it as almost pure fan service? All of the danger of the big 8 (Ice-clan, Fire-clan, Gold-clan, and even no-clan) was a farce and there were no consequences. It isn't like I was hoping for a Red Wedding-type disaster, but literally nobody we know died in the crypts. And Sam was surrounded by a dozen wights and he's fine now.
I don't have a problem with fan service. This was the fourth to last episode. What's wrong with watching the heroes fight longer to close out the story? I feel like "not enough people died" is a pretty lame attempt at a hot take.

Your claim of no consequences isn't valid. Their entire army is decimated, the castle is in ruins, and John and Daenerys are on shaky terms. Expecting Sam to die in any circumstance was impossible and would've been unbelievable from a plot perspective. He's too important for supporting John's true identity and the increasing rift between John and Daenerys.

There were only two people in the crypts who actually matter out of how many dozen? I don't care that no one important died down there. There was only a short period between when the Knight King raised the dead and got the dagger to the heart. Small potatoes. It seems like the people who are most critical (not here) are those who were so confident in their death predictions and just want to make an excuse for guessing wrong.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

My philosophy when evaluating movies/series is: if you want to be taken seriously, don't do stupid shit. I liked the show because there weren't many points that made no sense. Unfortunately starting with season 7 (going by memory here) it took a huge step back in that regard. Season 8 is an improvement over 7 so far, but I don't think I would watch the show if it started off this way.

In the last episode the entire battle seemed like a bad joke. Maybe someone can explain this to me because I am no medieval military general, but when you have a fortress, catapults and archers, are greatly outnumbered, why is the army outside the walls? Who sent the Dothraki charging ahead without any support and what in the world was that supposed to accomplish? Why did the catapults shoot only once? After they lit the "trenches" (dig deeper guys), why do they just look at the dead army? Why not just man the walls, shower them with arrows and fire the catapults from courtyards?

I don't have a problem with most of the named characters surviving, it is obviously important for the story. But then don't show them swarmed with zombies on the brink of death for an hour. And I'm not even 30...

Indy

Post by Indy »

Hermen wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:44 am
My philosophy when evaluating movies/series is: if you want to be taken seriously, don't do stupid shit. I liked the show because there weren't many points that made no sense. Unfortunately starting with season 7 (going by memory here) it took a huge step back in that regard. Season 8 is an improvement over 7 so far, but I don't think I would watch the show if it started off this way.

In the last episode the entire battle seemed like a bad joke. Maybe someone can explain this to me because I am no medieval military general, but when you have a fortress, catapults and archers, are greatly outnumbered, why is the army outside the walls? Who sent the Dothraki charging ahead without any support and what in the world was that supposed to accomplish? Why did the catapults shoot only once? After they lit the "trenches" (dig deeper guys), why do they just look at the dead army? Why not just man the walls, shower them with arrows and fire the catapults from courtyards?

I don't have a problem with most of the named characters surviving, it is obviously important for the story. But then don't show them swarmed with zombies on the brink of death for an hour. And I'm not even 30...
this. all of this. the show has made a name for itself on these things, and as soon as they ran out of source material, they have floundered.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Can someone who knows more than me explain what Bran was doing warging into a flock of ravens? What did that accomplish?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:16 pm
Can someone who knows more than me explain what Bran was doing warging into a flock of ravens? What did that accomplish?
I don't think anyone knows. Hopefully there's a little more clarity coming in that regard.

Despite enjoying the previous episode more than most, I agree with what avid fans are saying about the writing being very average ever since they ran out of source material.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:11 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:16 pm
I don't think anyone knows. Hopefully there's a little more clarity coming in that regard.
Honestly, if it was pointless, which I suspect it was, then Bran is the most useless character on the show. I guess he was there to tell Jon who he really is?

You can see the future, Brospeh. Warg into a fucking dragon and take out the Night King. Don't go sightseeing in middle of a fucking war and then send Theon to his completely meaningless and inevitable death.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

A lot of people had issues with the last episode from what I've been reading online. Everything mentioned here from the battle tactics, to Bran, to Jon and Danaerys flying around seemingly randomly.

Here's a good article that sums up a lot for me, especially this last part:<br/>

https://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/ar ... 804689.php?
--So, uh, that's, like, it for the White Walkers? Why did they do anything they did?!

One of the most frustrating aspects of "Game of Thrones" is the fact that we spent so much time learning every random human's motivation while never gaining any true insight into the Night King's inner psyche - if he even had one. Aside from finding humor in the fact that dragonfire can't burn him alive, he was an empty vessel.

And that would be fine enough if so much of the series didn't hinge on his existence, but it does. At least, it did. After seven and a half seasons worrying about the Night King and the battle to come, he's just gone. Poof. We never learned what he wanted or why he was so seemingly hellbent on destroying Jon Snow. We never learned if he actually wanted anything or was marching on instinct.

It seems the Night King was just a MacGuffin all along. What a bummer.
I have to think there's more to Bran still. He can still use his vision to guide against Cersei I guess because if not, his storyline would be done? Night King is defeated and that was Bran's sole purpose on the show? Seems iffy but not unreasonable I guess.

But as that article states, it would be kind of a letdown for me if the Night King is now lumped in with guys like Stannis and Ramsey and all the others who have lost battles during the show. The fight against the dead was supposed to be for all mankind, but now it's over and they're like "Ok, onto Cersei". I get she's a badass and has a full army but it still seems backwards and a little anticlimactic to go from the Dead to Cersei. But in the end, I guess that's what we all want to see right?

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am still holding out that Bran is the Night King, otherwise there was no point. He literally lost the first real battle he fought.