Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
specialsauce

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:31 pm
Nodack wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:13 pm
Oak Park Woman Says She Contracted Coronavirus Twice
https://detroit.cbslocal.com/2020/06/18 ... rus-twice/
I’d be skeptical of that, we don’t know if you can get reinfected, but it’s also very possible she just simply had a failed test. That antibody test could have been a false positive. Or perhaps the first Covid swab was a false negative.

We’ve had people at my hospital test positive, test negative, then test positive again all in the same hospital stay.
I agree with Split

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I have seen multiple articles on this and this and the data is inconclusive either way.

Cap

Post by Cap »

There is no lasting immunity. Predicting the worst never goes wrong anymore. We are living in Murphy’s World, where Murphy’s Law is law.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:15 pm
Split T wrote:
Nodack wrote:
I’d be skeptical of that, we don’t know if you can get reinfected, but it’s also very possible she just simply had a failed test. That antibody test could have been a false positive. Or perhaps the first Covid swab was a false negative.

We’ve had people at my hospital test positive, test negative, then test positive again all in the same hospital stay.
I agree with Split
Yeah I don't get why we are even conducting the antibody tests right now. It is almost a coin flip for accuracy.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:10 am
specialsauce wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:15 pm
Split T wrote:
Nodack wrote:

I agree with Split
Yeah I don't get why we are even conducting the antibody tests right now. It is almost a coin flip for accuracy.
The statistics might be useful, but it’s definitely not accurate enough to support firm conclusions about any particular test subject.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Blood type might be a determining factor in COVID severity...

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/N ... oronavirus
RESULTS
We detected cross-replicating associations with rs11385942 at locus 3p21.31 and with rs657152 at locus 9q34.2, which were significant at the genomewide level (P<5×10−8) in the meta-analysis of the two case–control panels (odds ratio, 1.77; 95% confidence interval [CI], 1.48 to 2.11; P=1.15×10−10; and odds ratio, 1.32; 95% CI, 1.20 to 1.47; P=4.95×10−8, respectively). At locus 3p21.31, the association signal spanned the genes SLC6A20, LZTFL1, CCR9, FYCO1, CXCR6 and XCR1. The association signal at locus 9q34.2 coincided with the ABO blood group locus; in this cohort, a blood-group–specific analysis showed a higher risk in blood group A than in other blood groups (odds ratio, 1.45; 95% CI, 1.20 to 1.75; P=1.48×10−4) and a protective effect in blood group O as compared with other blood groups (odds ratio, 0.65; 95% CI, 0.53 to 0.79; P=1.06×10−5).

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
I haven't read much about this. Are all the COVID antibody tests only 50/50? Or are only some of them that bad? My wife and I got really sick right around the end of Feb / start of March, and we became convinced later that it must have been COVID. Really really bad bug, high fever, horrendous coughing, lungs felt tight and yucky, mucus, the whole thing. But my wife got a COVID antibody test and it came back negative. I guess it's possible that the test was incorrect, but I don't want to default to disbelieving the result; it's also possible that we just had some other non-COVID bug. We do get our flu shots and are up to date on those. Our kids bring back all kinds of crud from their daycare, or they did back before we pulled them out of there.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:05 am
Indy wrote:
I haven't read much about this. Are all the COVID antibody tests only 50/50? Or are only some of them that bad? My wife and I got really sick right around the end of Feb / start of March, and we became convinced later that it must have been COVID. Really really bad bug, high fever, horrendous coughing, lungs felt tight and yucky, mucus, the whole thing. But my wife got a COVID antibody test and it came back negative. I guess it's possible that the test was incorrect, but I don't want to default to disbelieving the result; it's also possible that we just had some other non-COVID bug. We do get our flu shots and are up to date on those. Our kids bring back all kinds of crud from their daycare, or they did back before we pulled them out of there.
The thing is, the governing bodies have even specifically stated its meant strictly for surveillance and not for diagnostic purposes.

We do know that they cross react with 4 other coronavirus strains, so you test positive and falsely assume you had Covid-19. Also, it takes time to develop antibodies, so if you test negative it may just be too early. Finally, we don’t know if we’re testing the correct neutralizing antibody that would correlate with immunity or not. So assuming you’re immune because you tested positive is a gamble. Finally, we have no clue even if it does offer immunity, for how long. The herd immunity hopeful do not know what they are talking about- corona viruses have historically provided only very temporary immunity (6 months- 1 year), which is why the herd immunity argument for a virus that has shown no seasonality is bogus. By the time enough people are Infected, the immunity of many will have waned and they’ll dangerously assume they’re immune.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Direct quotes.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... -interview

"I personally think testing is overrated, even though I created the greatest testing machine in history," Trump told the Wall Street Journal in an interview published Thursday. He added that expanded testing led to a rise in confirmed coronavirus cases that "in many ways, it makes us look bad."

Trump on Monday blamed the new wave of cases on increased testing and suggested that, without testing, there would be few new cases. White House officials later clarified that Trump meant there would be fewer confirmed cases if testing was suspended.

"If we stop testing right now, we’d have very few cases, if any," Trump said this week.

I see. So he created the greatest testing machine in history. But it's overrated. All these positive cases make us look bad. Right. Okay. And good idea with stopping testing. How about we just have a bunch of people continue to get it and not know about it so they can risk giving it to everyone that doesn't have it. While we're at it, no more cancer screening. Cancer cases would plummet. It would be eradicated!

This guy. I can't even anymore...

I had unprotected sex but because she never took a pregnancy test, we were able to avoid having a kid. Right Donny T?

I'll leave you with this golden nugget, right out of his mouth:

"And don’t forget, we have more cases than anybody in the world," he added. "But why? Because we do more testing. When you test, you have a case. When you test, you find something is wrong with people. If we didn’t do any testing, we would have very few cases."
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

He’s a fucking virus.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:58 am
He’s a fucking virus.
OMG, that's not very nice to say that about AIG, sauce. Shame

;)
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

If a tree falls in the woods, does it make a sound?
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:07 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:58 am
He’s a fucking virus.
OMG, that's not very nice to say that about AIG, sauce. Shame

;)
Never been one to hold punches lol

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I found an inside look at Trump's COVID policy:

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:12 pm
I found an inside look at Trump's COVID policy:

You’re missing the other ostrich with his head in the lead ostrich’s ass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

The sooner Trump is ended, by getting some Covid, the better. Dude needs to perish so we can try to get the country back on track. Anything is better than where we've headed and where we're going under his "leadership".
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:22 pm
The sooner Trump is ended, by getting some Covid, the better. Dude needs to perish so we can try to get the country back on track. Anything is better than where we've headed and where we're going under his "leadership".
A tremendous amount of COVID. Some good, some not so good, but a lot good

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:16 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:22 pm
A tremendous amount of COVID. Some good, some not so good, but a lot good
There’s some good COVID on both sides.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

http://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

Not only is AZ leading the country in new cases per day per capita, we’re at nearly twice the level of the #2 state, and still rising rapidly.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Don’t worry, Covid can’t survive in the heat and around April it will disappear...