Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
In2ition

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:52 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:28 am
Superbone wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:38 pm
In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:57 pm
Nodack wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:24 pm
Been in my own Covid lockdown since Tues. That’s why I am posting so much. Isolating get’s boring pretty fast. I think this is Covid scare #3 for me and test #4. One was for minor surgery. They make you get a test.

There hasn’t been a whole lot of gigs happening for the past year anywhere but, the 55+ “RV Resorts” have been limping along without the Canadians in AZ and with bands. Some have bands every day. I have been doing my share of those gigs. I did a four piece with a sub drummer and bass player and the regular keyboard player. They have tried hard to make things Covid safe there. The band has their own entrance and a big plastic shield in front of the band. The tables are spaced and they use an app to order food and drinks. The dance floor is away from everyone else and big with markings on the dance floor to keep people away from each other. The band is safely away from everyone by at least 20 feet. They ask us to wear are masks on break and loading and unloading. Singers and some musicians don’t wear masks when they are performing. Nobody wore a mask in the band while performing and we talked a little without the masks during the gig and going on break, so there is a little contact between the musicians. Tuesday I get a text that the bass player has Covid. I did hang out together in fairly close contact for four hours.

I got tested Thursday and I am awaiting the results. I have been coughing a little and have a little congestion but nothing really yet. Food tasted great today. They say you lose your sense of taste.
Sorry Nodack. I hope you don't get it. The loss of taste is the worst. You feel like crap and you can't get any satisfaction out of good tasting food.
You had it In2? Yeah, keep us posted Nodack. Hoping you don’t have it or at least it’s a mild case if you do.
Yes, my whole family got it. My sister and her family got it too(separate from us).
But everybody is OK, I take it? Did anybody have a severe case?
My middle son had it the worst. He had a cough that lasted about a month and a half, but is 100% now. Only difference from the flu for most of us was that we had a loss of taste and smell. The weird thing about that is that you can tell if something is salty or sweet, but can't taste the nuances of flavor.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:04 pm
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:57 pm

Sorry Nodack. I hope you don't get it. The loss of taste is the worst. You feel like crap and you can't get any satisfaction out of good tasting food.
You had it In2? Yeah, keep us posted Nodack. Hoping you don’t have it or at least it’s a mild case if you do.
Yes, my whole family got it. My sister and her family got it too(separate from us).
My middle son had it the worst. He had a cough that lasted about a month and a half, but is 100% now. Only difference from the flu for most of us was that we had a loss of taste and smell. The weird thing about that is that you can tell if something is salty or sweet, but can't taste the nuances of flavor.
Glad to hear your son if fully recovered!

Yeah, that is weird and uncomfortable sounding about the taste and smell thing. Has it fully returned for everybody? Recently I had a revelation as I've been enjoying a particular whiskey. I'm a late adopter and didn't drink much whiskey most of my life. But the next morning my taste buds weren't right. Things lacked taste and had a blandness that I couldn't explain. I really did not like that when eating food I normally really enjoyed. It wasn't until the second time it happened to me that I put two and two together that it was the whiskey from the night before. Apparently, it burns the tongue and has a lasting effect. I've kind of avoided drinking it since. Might have to start mixing with water and see if that helps.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

My test came out positive. I had a feeling since I was getting some symptoms. I had a croissant this morning and it tasted good. Mild symptoms so far. A little cough, congestion, chills last night, a little achey. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being no symptoms and ten being deathly sick I put this at maybe a 3.5.

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:10 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:04 pm
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Glad to hear your son if fully recovered!

Yeah, that is weird and uncomfortable sounding about the taste and smell thing. Has it fully returned for everybody? Recently I had a revelation as I've been enjoying a particular whiskey. I'm a late adopter and didn't drink much whiskey most of my life. But the next morning my taste buds weren't right. Things lacked taste and had a blandness that I couldn't explain. I really did not like that when eating food I normally really enjoyed. It wasn't until the second time it happened to me that I put two and two together that it was the whiskey from the night before. Apparently, it burns the tongue and has a lasting effect. I've kind of avoided drinking it since. Might have to start mixing with water and see if that helps.
My wife said the exact same thing-should could taste salty and sweet, but not much else. I had some buffalo chicken tenders for lunch today with a decent amount of heat to them. She cannot take any spice whatsoever, and ate them and shrugged, which was odd seeing as how any type of buffalo wing or hot sauce would cause her to exclaim her mouth was on fire. Makes me wonder how long it will take for her aversion to spicy food to come back, or is that gone for good?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:19 pm
My test came out positive. I had a feeling since I was getting some symptoms. I had a croissant this morning and it tasted good. Mild symptoms so far. A little cough, congestion, chills last night, a little achey. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being no symptoms and ten being deathly sick I put this at maybe a 3.5.
Sorry to hear that, 'Dack! Hang in there! I hope it's mild. Keep us posted.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
If you are early on with it, I would highly recommend some things to help you immensely, but I'm no Dr.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:54 pm
Nodack wrote:
If you are early on with it, I would highly recommend some things to help you immensely, but I'm no Dr.
Go for it. Not that Hydrowhatever stuff is it? I have been drinking water mixed with that Airborne stuff and an up the nose thing Zilac that is supposed to shorten colds. Probably useless but why not?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Really sorry, 'dack. Hope it passes with minimal symptoms.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Lost smell and taste now. Opened a jar of apple cider vinegar pills which have a really strong bad odor and couldn’t smell a thing. I told my wife now would be a good time to eat all the food that’s good for me that I hate since I can’t smell or taste it.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:37 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:54 pm
Nodack wrote:
Go for it. Not that Hydrowhatever stuff is it? I have been drinking water mixed with that Airborne stuff and an up the nose thing Zilac that is supposed to shorten colds. Probably useless but why not?
Zicam & Airborne are a good start. Definitely want to load up on your Vitamin D, Vitamin C, Zinc, Vitamin A, Magnesium and anything that helps your immune system. You don't have to take Hydroxychloroquine, but you could look into Ivermectin, which has been approved to take for covid in South Africa. Or you don't have to do anything, it's up to you. My oldest took Ivermectin, and it seemed to work for him where he got it after my other two and got better faster, but that's only anecdotal. Seems like sleeping on your stomach helps too for some reason if it gets to the point where you are having problems breathing. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

So far it’s barely a cold. My oxygen level is 97%. I haven’t even had a fever yet. 96.7. The lack of taste and smell is kind of weird but, nothing that really affects me. You would think after several days if it was going to get bad it would have already.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:58 pm
So far it’s barely a cold. My oxygen level is 97%. I haven’t even had a fever yet. 96.7. The lack of taste and smell is kind of weird but, nothing that really affects me. You would think after several days if it was going to get bad it would have already.
Appreciate the ongoing feedback. Glad it’s not too bad thus far.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:58 pm
Loss of smell & taste is a bit cruel during the Super Bowl, tbh. You're a trooper though.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Watching the Super Bowl too. I drink Tequila and it can have a nasty taste and aftertaste. I am curious what a shot now would taste like. Water? Probably not a good idea under the situation.

My wife’s test came up negative. Hopefully her friend with asthma who is staying with us for a week doesn’t have it. Still waiting for her test results.

Edit: Just tried a super mini shot for science. No taste, very slight feeling of that normal burning sensation.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Sorry to hear about your illness, Nodack. Take care and get well soon.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

‘Dack, how are you doing?! Are you through the worst of it? Was it horrible? Not so bad? Let us know.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I had very slight congestion for a few days, no smell and little taste. Other than that nothing. No fever, no headache, not tired, not feeling bad. My wife got it from me and had the same symptoms with a little fatigue and we have both recovered and are back to work. Banner health said I would no longer be contagious ten days after testing positive with my symptoms.

I just talked to a good friend today who just lost his sister to Covid after a three month battle. One might argue she didn’t die of Covid. Covid fried her lungs and they never recovered even though she no longer had the virus.

We got my parents vaccinated with the first shot finally. Trying to schedule their second dose. There is no second dose of the vaccine to be had in the Phoenix metropolitan area right now. Hopefully they will get more soon.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:31 am
I had very slight congestion for a few days, no smell and little taste. Other than that nothing. No fever, no headache, not tired, not feeling bad. My wife got it from me and had the same symptoms with a little fatigue and we have both recovered and are back to work. Banner health said I would no longer be contagious ten days after testing positive with my symptoms.

I just talked to a good friend today who just lost his sister to Covid after a three month battle. One might argue she didn’t die of Covid. Covid fried her lungs and they never recovered even though she no longer had the virus.

We got my parents vaccinated with the first shot finally. Trying to schedule their second dose. There is no second dose of the vaccine to be had in the Phoenix metropolitan area right now. Hopefully they will get more soon.
Wow. Glad to hear it wasn’t so bad and you’re past it. Amazing how it seems to treat everybody so differently.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I think a lot has to do with your blood type. If you are type O you are less likely to catch Covid and if you do you are more likely to have a mild case. People with type A B or AB are more likely to get Covid and have a more severe case.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah I thought it was A+ that was the most likely to have severe complications.