Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Superbone

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:07 am
Yeah I thought it was A+ that was the most likely to have severe complications.
I'm pretty sure that's what I am.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Is there some scientific evidence that this could be true? I've seen this talked about, but it seemed like it could have been pseudo science and/or anecdotal.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:43 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:07 am
Yeah I thought it was A+ that was the most likely to have severe complications.
I'm pretty sure that's what I am.
Same.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:03 am
Is there some scientific evidence that this could be true? I've seen this talked about, but it seemed like it could have been pseudo science and/or anecdotal.
I don't have time to research now, but I did see studies (I think out of Britain) that showed a higher likelihood of hospitalization and severe symptoms. I can't remember how many people were in the analysis.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Studies Offer New Evidence for Possible Link Between Blood Type and COVID-19 Susceptibility and Severity
https://www.hematology.org/newsroom/pre ... d-covid-19

Is Blood Type a Risk Factor for COVID-19?
https://www.webmd.com/coronavirus-in-co ... ilverstein
ROY SILVERSTEIN: Well, there is quite a bit of research coming out over the last few weeks and months about blood type and COVID. And it really falls into two categories. Studies that look at whether if you have type O blood you have a lower risk of getting infected, and the other bucket, or other type of studies, suggest that if you have type O blood or that you're less likely to get very, very sick, less likely to need a ventilator in the ICU, for instance, than if you have type A blood. So, two different aspects of the story.

COVID-19 and Blood Type
Study finds no relationship between blood type and severity of COVID-19
https://hms.harvard.edu/news/covid-19-blood-type
Blood type is not associated with a severe worsening of symptoms in people who have tested positive for COVID-19, report Harvard Medical School researchers based at Massachusetts General Hospital.

Does Blood Type Play a Role in COVID-19 Risk?

Studies show link between blood types, from A to O, and the body's response to the coronavirus

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions- ... virus.html

Researchers in Denmark found that among more than 7,400 people who tested positive for COVID-19, fewer individuals had type O blood compared to type A, despite the fact that the two blood types accounted for the same share of the population when compared to a larger control group. Canadian researchers reached a similar finding in their retrospective study published in Annals of Internal Medicine. They found that people with type O blood had a lower risk for contracting the coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) compared to those with type A, B or AB. They also observed that individuals with type O blood had a slightly lower risk for getting severely ill or dying from COVID-19 if they did become infected. And several other peer-reviewed studies reinforce these findings.

Their findings, published in the Annals of Hematology, dispel previous reports that suggested a correlation between certain blood types and COVID-19.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:42 pm
Studies Offer New Evidence for Possible Link Between Blood Type and COVID-19 Susceptibility and Severity
https://www.hematology.org/newsroom/pre ... d-covid-19
Individuals with blood type O may have lowest risk of infection; individuals with A and AB may have increased risk of severe clinical outcomes

It's certainly interesting. I wondered if they were using numbers from all over the world, but it just looks like it was done in Denmark.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

And the Harvard study found nothing. I think it’s safe to say the evidence is inconclusive at this point.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:11 pm
And the Harvard study found nothing. I think it’s safe to say the evidence is inconclusive at this point.
but that was published in July. All the other studies were at least twice as far into the pandemic and all found a correlation.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Anything in regards to the Rh?

Indy

Post by Indy »

A little:
Additionally, they found that Rh– blood types were protective against COVID-19 infection (aRR = 0.79; CI, 0.73 to 0.85; ARD = 6.8 per 1000; 95% CI, 8.9 to 4.7), with a particularly strong protection in those with O– blood (aRR = 0.74; 95% CI, 0.66-0.83; ARD = 8.2 per 1000; 95% CI, 10.8 to 5.3).
https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-4511

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Really good retrospective. Long article (too long to post) with individual insights from people like Fauci, Birx, Adam Silver, different doctors and journalists.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/the-most-unu ... 28842.html

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

https://brief19.com/2021/03/04/brief/iv ... al-science
Ivermectin: Yet Another Fad Runs Into The Brick Wall Known As "Actual Science"
One of the recent social media crazes making the rounds again as a potential covid-19 treatment is ivermectin. Ivermectin is a medication, first discovered in the 1970s that is often used to kill infections ranging from intestinal parasitic worms to scabies.

Last year, anecdotal reports popped up describing patients being prescribed this anti-parasitic medication in an attempt to treat covid-19, sometimes as part of a cocktail with vitamins despite any positive findings supporting its use. A slew of low-quality studies also began to appear in the medical literature. Those studies, now frequently cited and quoted by the ivermectin faithful, all had substantial problems. Some were purely in vitro successes (i.e. the drug inhibits SARS-CoV-2 replication in cells in laboratories); others that involved humans had poor methodologies or lacked a placebo. The hype reached such a frenzy (reminiscent of hydroxychloroquine) that on February 4, 2021, Merck, the major drug manufacturer of ivermectin, released a statement specifically highlighting the lack of safety data and proven scientific evidence supporting the use of ivermectin in the treatment of covid-19.

Today in JAMA, data from a well-done double-blind randomized trial was finally published. This study was conducted in the latter half of 2020 at a single site in Cali, Colombia. Patients were identified through the state's health department database of positive coronavirus cases. A random sample of 476 adults was obtained. Patients who were enrolled had mild symptoms lasting under a week and could be at home or have been hospitalized. However, if they required oxygen, they were ineligible for the trial. Patients were randomized to receive ivermectin (300 micrograms per kilogram of body weight) or placebo for 5 days. The primary outcome that the researchers were interested in was resolution of symptoms within 21 days. The study group tended to the younger healthier patients often seen, with a median age of 37 and a gender makeup of 58 percent women.

No significant difference was seen in median time to symptoms resolution which was 10 days in ivermectin group and 12 days in placebo group. At day 21 symptoms resolution rates were also = similar in both groups (82 percent in the ivermectin group versus 79 percent in the placebo group). Adverse events were similar across both groups. An error did occur during the study in which for approximately two weeks, all of the trial's participants received ivermectin while none were given the placebo. That mistake, however, does not seem to have taken away from the main conclusion of the study. Indeed, these results show no benefit to ivermectin in the treatment of mild covid-19. While there are other angles to study this medication, and undoubtedly others will try to do so, ivermectin is now poised to be yet another proposed therapy to add to the pile of failed covid-19 treatments whose main interest has been fueled by social media, and egged on by scientifically illiterate politicians.
Just dipping in real quick to drop this for you all, peace

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I’m very excited. I just got through the CVS website tonight and I was able to schedule my vaccinations. I’m getting the Moderna and my first shot is on Friday! I have to drive 30 miles but big deal. I’m glad to get the party started. 2nd shot exactly 4 weeks later but half as far from my house. I’m so relieved.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

We are now vax buddies, as I get mine on Friday after volunteering for 6 hours at the Phoenix Muni vaccinations site.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:52 pm
We are now vax buddies, as I get mine on Friday after volunteering for 6 hours at the Phoenix Muni vaccinations site.
Nice!
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Welcome to the club, guys! Hopefully it’s pretty uneventful for all of you. I got lucky and had nothing but a sore arm for both doses. I had Pfizer.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am getting Pfizer too. My wife had a headache the next day after dose one. Her 2nd is next week. The Moderna 2nd shot knocked my mom and my mother in law out for nearly 2 days.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:37 pm
I am getting Pfizer too. My wife had a headache the next day after dose one. Her 2nd is next week. The Moderna 2nd shot knocked my mom and my mother in law out for nearly 2 days.
Small sample size, and completely anecdotal, but more people I’ve known have had more symptoms with the moderna shot...haven’t really heard much about the Johnson and Johnson one symptom wise.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:03 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:37 pm
Small sample size, and completely anecdotal, but more people I’ve known have had more symptoms with the moderna shot...haven’t really heard much about the Johnson and Johnson one symptom wise.
Well, I’ll let you know my experience with Moderna. My co-worker got the Pfizer and mentioned his arm being very sore and that he was very tired. But I think it was only for about a day.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

My parents got the Pfizer shot and had no reaction. Heard similar things about Moderna tho from people who took it, usually felt side effects that night and the next day and then were fine.