Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Nodack

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by Nodack »

This article isn’t some dudes Twitter page. It’s an article by NPR talking about the Department of Health and Human Services releasing figures on which hospitals are full. The dude on Twitter would probably call NPR fake news and the Department of Health and Human Services fraudulent and filled with illegal Commie Obama Satan worshiping appointees who sell little children on the black market out of a pizza place.

New COVID-19 Data Release Shows Where Hospitals Around The Country Are Filling Up
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... -filling-u
New data released by the Department of Health and Human Services on Monday gives the most detailed picture to date of how COVID-19 is stressing individual hospitals in the United States.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I thought the "media scare stories" were going to be over once Biden won the election? And we wouldn't hear about Covid anymore because it was a made up media narrative pushed out to make Trump look bad and hurt his chances at re-election?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:50 pm
This article isn’t some dudes Twitter page. It’s an article by NPR talking about the Department of Health and Human Services releasing figures on which hospitals are full. The dude on Twitter would probably call NPR fake news and the Department of Health and Human Services fraudulent and filled with illegal Commie Obama Satan worshiping appointees who sell little children on the black market out of a pizza place.

New COVID-19 Data Release Shows Where Hospitals Around The Country Are Filling Up
New data released by the Department of Health and Human Services on Monday gives the most detailed picture to date of how COVID-19 is stressing individual hospitals in the United States.
I’m referencing the bullshit commentary by the Twitter user

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:07 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:17 pm
How about you take on 3 times the amount of work you normally do, take a massive pay cut, expose yourself every single day, and see how you fare. Fucking insensitive pricks. Yes this struck a nerve. /end rant. Thanks
I don't blame you. You're on the front line while armchair quarterbacks sit back and post this bullshit.
Thanks bone

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:24 am
Nodack wrote:

I don’t even know why we waste time talking about some dude’s commentary on Twitter. Maybe if they are some health expert but most of the time it’s just some dude.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:47 am
specialsauce wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:24 am
Nodack wrote:

I don’t even know why we waste time talking about some dude’s commentary on Twitter. Maybe if they are some health expert but most of the time it’s just some dude.
But some people are very gullible.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Videogames are a bigger industry than sports and movies combined, thanks to the pandemic
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/video ... 1608654990

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Whoo!!! $$$!
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Why is South Africa's new variant so scary? UK bans all arrivals from SA where highly contagious Covid mutant is driving massive second wave among young people
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... train.html
Cases in South Africa have spiked from 3,000 to 9,500 per day in three weeks
New strain announced last Friday and accounts for up to 90% of SA's new cases
Strain called 501.V2 believed to be more extreme than one discovered in Britain
Two cases of SA mutant detected in Britain, Hancock calls it 'highly concerning'
Scientists say it is more transmissible but so far not believed to be more deadly
More than 100 flights thought to have flown between UK and SA since October
Experts in South Africa warn: 'Maybe the virus is beginning to outsmart us'
UK, Germany, Switzerland, Turkey, Israel and Mauritius banned flights from SA

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

IRS Threatens Coloradans Who Already Paid Taxes: ‘They’re Frightened And They Don’t Understand’
https://denver.cbslocal.com/2021/02/05/ ... rightened/
Accountants along Colorado’s Front Range are telling CBS4 that dozens of clients who paid their 2019 taxes are nonetheless getting menacing letters from the IRS. Those letters are threatening late fees, penalties and in some cases, property seizure.

The problem appears to partly be a consequence of the COVID-19 pandemic but also partly due to ongoing issues with the IRS like archaic computer systems, slashed budgets and understaffing that are now causing consequences for taxpayers.

When the pandemic took hold in 2020, the IRS sent nearly 60,000 employees home to work and more than 500 IRS offices were shut down. The remote workforce meant lots of mail that didn’t get opened in a timely manner and a gap in customer service as phone calls from the public were not answered.

As of late last year, there were approximately one million unprocessed tax returns from 2019 and three million pieces of unopened mail. Paper tax returns and letters from taxpayers sat unopened in trucks in post office parking lots for months while IRS offices were closed down.

“It’s a giant backlog,” said Conradt, “Systemic exacerbated by COVID. They are so incredibly backlogged,” observed the Denver tax attorney.

He said there is a “giant disconnect” with payments sent in and being cashed by the IRS, but not being processed and automated delinquent notices are being sent out.

“This is a massive, massive problem that’s going to take some time to fix,” said Conradt.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Been in my own Covid lockdown since Tues. That’s why I am posting so much. Isolating get’s boring pretty fast. I think this is Covid scare #3 for me and test #4. One was for minor surgery. They make you get a test.

There hasn’t been a whole lot of gigs happening for the past year anywhere but, the 55+ “RV Resorts” have been limping along without the Canadians in AZ and with bands. Some have bands every day. I have been doing my share of those gigs. I did a four piece with a sub drummer and bass player and the regular keyboard player. They have tried hard to make things Covid safe there. The band has their own entrance and a big plastic shield in front of the band. The tables are spaced and they use an app to order food and drinks. The dance floor is away from everyone else and big with markings on the dance floor to keep people away from each other. The band is safely away from everyone by at least 20 feet. They ask us to wear are masks on break and loading and unloading. Singers and some musicians don’t wear masks when they are performing. Nobody wore a mask in the band while performing and we talked a little without the masks during the gig and going on break, so there is a little contact between the musicians. Tuesday I get a text that the bass player has Covid. I did hang out together in fairly close contact for four hours.

I got tested Thursday and I am awaiting the results. I have been coughing a little and have a little congestion but nothing really yet. Food tasted great today. They say you lose your sense of taste.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Sorry to hear that man, hope you stay well and the test comes back negative.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Thanks man.so far so good. I should get the results soon I hope.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:43 pm
Thanks man.so far so good. I should get the results soon I hope.
Good luck Dack. My mom got it last month and it tore through her house. Everyone recovered in about 7 days. very lucky

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:24 pm
Been in my own Covid lockdown since Tues. That’s why I am posting so much. Isolating get’s boring pretty fast. I think this is Covid scare #3 for me and test #4. One was for minor surgery. They make you get a test.

There hasn’t been a whole lot of gigs happening for the past year anywhere but, the 55+ “RV Resorts” have been limping along without the Canadians in AZ and with bands. Some have bands every day. I have been doing my share of those gigs. I did a four piece with a sub drummer and bass player and the regular keyboard player. They have tried hard to make things Covid safe there. The band has their own entrance and a big plastic shield in front of the band. The tables are spaced and they use an app to order food and drinks. The dance floor is away from everyone else and big with markings on the dance floor to keep people away from each other. The band is safely away from everyone by at least 20 feet. They ask us to wear are masks on break and loading and unloading. Singers and some musicians don’t wear masks when they are performing. Nobody wore a mask in the band while performing and we talked a little without the masks during the gig and going on break, so there is a little contact between the musicians. Tuesday I get a text that the bass player has Covid. I did hang out together in fairly close contact for four hours.

I got tested Thursday and I am awaiting the results. I have been coughing a little and have a little congestion but nothing really yet. Food tasted great today. They say you lose your sense of taste.
Sorry Nodack. I hope you don't get it. The loss of taste is the worst. You feel like crap and you can't get any satisfaction out of good tasting food.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:57 pm
Nodack wrote:

Sorry Nodack. I hope you don't get it. The loss of taste is the worst. You feel like crap and you can't get any satisfaction out of good tasting food.
You had it In2? Yeah, keep us posted Nodack. Hoping you don’t have it or at least it’s a mild case if you do.
"Be Legendary."

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:38 pm
In2ition wrote:
Nodack wrote:

You had it In2? Yeah, keep us posted Nodack. Hoping you don’t have it or at least it’s a mild case if you do.
My wife and I were both exposed by my in-laws over Thanksgiving. Wife tested positive and had the standard symptoms and was feeling off for a week, but never really bed-ridden. She's a third grade teacher and of course had to quarantine for a few weeks. Lost her taste and smell a few days in and some smells aren't fully back yet. I somehow tested negative a week after exposure, but I also had the antibodies last May, so maybe that protected me? If I did have it a second time, I was asymptomatic and never felt anything. Must be all of the IPAs that I drink killing that virus!

The CEO of my company is in the medical field and keeps telling us (small company of like 12 people) that unless you're basically in someone's face, it's pretty difficult to transmit the virus if you're asymptomatic. Obviously a different story if you're coughing, sneezing, etc., but he could just be saying that since we go into the office every day and to ease fears. We have testing available on-site if needed, and we all keep a distance anyways, so I've never been nervous about contracting it.

Hope your results come back negative, even being asymptomatic throws a wrench into life.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Nodack wrote:

Yes, my whole family got it. My sister and her family got it too(separate from us).
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:28 am
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Nodack wrote:

Yes, my whole family got it. My sister and her family got it too(separate from us).
But everybody is OK, I take it? Did anybody have a severe case?
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

BigLewy wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:08 am
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Nodack wrote:

My wife and I were both exposed by my in-laws over Thanksgiving. Wife tested positive and had the standard symptoms and was feeling off for a week, but never really bed-ridden. She's a third grade teacher and of course had to quarantine for a few weeks. Lost her taste and smell a few days in and some smells aren't fully back yet. I somehow tested negative a week after exposure, but I also had the antibodies last May, so maybe that protected me? If I did have it a second time, I was asymptomatic and never felt anything. Must be all of the IPAs that I drink killing that virus!

The CEO of my company is in the medical field and keeps telling us (small company of like 12 people) that unless you're basically in someone's face, it's pretty difficult to transmit the virus if you're asymptomatic. Obviously a different story if you're coughing, sneezing, etc., but he could just be saying that since we go into the office every day and to ease fears. We have testing available on-site if needed, and we all keep a distance anyways, so I've never been nervous about contracting it.

Hope your results come back negative, even being asymptomatic throws a wrench into life.
The long term loss of smell is a little scary.
"Be Legendary."