Movies / TV Shows

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: TV Shows / Movies

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Could be taboo around these parts, but I don't care. The first episode of Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty is really good. John C. Reilly knocks it out of the park as Dr. Buss and Jason Clarke is hilarious as Jerry West.

It took me a few days to get around to watching it after downloading it because I was worried it would essentially be Lakers propaganda, but it's not overtly so far and it has some genuinely funny scenes for people knowledgeable about the NBA and it's history.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I think “Dark” season 1 is a masterpiece and I couldn’t recommend it more. Season 2 is entertaining but starts to get a little nuts. Season 3 is straight bananas.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Season 2 has definitely been wild! 3 being straight bananas, is that a bad thing? Or just what it is, lol.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:23 pm
Season 2 has definitely been wild! 3 being straight bananas, is that a bad thing? Or just what it is, lol.
I thought it was too much. It was also nearly impossible to follow without a chart.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:33 pm
Could be taboo around these parts, but I don't care. The first episode of Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty is really good. John C. Reilly knocks it out of the park as Dr. Buss and Jason Clarke is hilarious as Jerry West.

It took me a few days to get around to watching it after downloading it because I was worried it would essentially be Lakers propaganda, but it's not overtly so far and it has some genuinely funny scenes for people knowledgeable about the NBA and it's history.
I accidentally stumbled onto it the other day when I came home from work. My wife was upstairs in bed sleeping and it was just on. I taped a Suns game and before I could start it I kind of got hooked on the Lakers thing and finished before starting the Suns game. I decided to record the whole series. A show about the making of the Lakers dynasty and then I got excited knowing the Lakers suck now even with all that cash poured in and the Suns are in first place.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:51 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
I thought it was too much. It was also nearly impossible to follow without a chart.
I thought Season 1 was so good, that it kept me around for an OK season 2 and a shitty season 3. I wish I had the time I spent on those 2 seasons back.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:09 am
Shabazz wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:51 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
I thought Season 1 was so good, that it kept me around for an OK season 2 and a shitty season 3. I wish I had the time I spent on those 2 seasons back.
Hmm. I just re-watched, it turns out, S1, E1 last night. I guess I watched it early in the pandemic and it didn't stick for some reason. Anyway, back into it now. Will at least watch S1 and start S2 I guess. I'm usually a completist but these reviews aren't very positive for the later seasons.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I don't quit shows, usually. I really wish I quit this one.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:10 am
So you really don't recommend any of season 2? Just one and done? I'm also looking for feedback from AIG and Bazz.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:50 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:10 am
So you really don't recommend any of season 2? Just one and done? I'm also looking for feedback from AIG and Bazz.
I guess it depends on how much time you have to invest in the show. If you are looking for something to watch and struggling to find something you are excited about, then sure give Season 2 a try. But none of the stuff it sets up at the end of Season 1 really gets a satisfying conclusion in Season 2. And again, Season 3 needs a detail companion guide with family trees and flow charts just to follow along.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Dammit! Well, we're on Season 2, Episode 6. Probably one of the best episodes to date, definitely of the 2nd season. Hopefully the rest of the season isn't all downhill. The show keeps you thinking, that's for sure. My wife and I sometimes struggle with connecting the dots (we were trying to figure out all of the time jumps Jonas has made and we couldn't recall and still can't how he jumped from the 1950's to the future and we see Elisabeth, for example).

I can't say I'm at all disappointed with the show up to the end of Season 2, Episode 6 that we watched last night, if that is the feedback you need Bone. Maybe Indy is amazing at Wordle but not too great with time travel?

I will say that it is FAR FAR better than Lost from the acting to the depth of the sci-fi itself. I didn't even finish Lost. Somewhere in the 5th season, it just was torture. I wasn't excited to watch any of it and there were way too many spin off filler episodes. That doesn't even touch on the fact that some of the acting is garbage, in my opinion, and that every episode I feel like 2 or 3 characters get hit hard in the head and suffer a TBI yet somehow they are perfectly fine a few hours later. I feel like Lost is a show that goes off the rails and becomes really hard to follow after a certain point.

Ultimately, I feel like I've invested a fair chunk into the show and with it only being 3 seasons total, I might as well see how things confusingly semi-connect.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thanks guys. I'm getting ahead of myself but I'll continue into season 2. AIG, keep me posted about your Season 3 feelings after you get there.

"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:24 pm
Thanks guys. I'm getting ahead of myself but I'll continue into season 2. AIG, keep me posted about your Season 3 feelings after you get there.
Season 3 will be here before I know it. I guess I've already seen Season 3 though. I'm just my past version of myself and when I see the 3rd season, I'll remember what it was about.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:26 pm
Superbone wrote:
Season 3 will be here before I know it. I guess I've already seen Season 3 though. I'm just my past version of myself and when I see the 3rd season, I'll remember what it was about.
Hey, no spoilers!

"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:27 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Hey, no spoilers!
Sorry. No spoilers. Just me getting in my own head lol.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:49 pm
Superbone wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:27 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Hey, no spoilers!
Sorry. No spoilers. Just me getting in my own head lol.
I was just kidding. I know the premise is about time not being linear. That's literally the first thing that's talked about at the start of E1.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think the premise of the show is very good. It just kept trying to up itself over and over and over. There really is a show for everyone and that’s good you and your wife are enjoying it.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

To be fair, my wife is starting to get all out of sorts with what's going on. We pause this show more than any others to talk about what's going on. And I know that though I think Lost is overrated and felt like it went on way too long, it's largely considered the greatest show to many people.

Some of my favorite shows relatively recently, in no particular order, are Breaking Bad, Mr Robot, The Handmaid's Tail, The Expanse, After Life. I wasn't a fan of large sections of The Witcher, Game of Thrones, Raised By Wolves, The Man in the Hightower and the recent one with the animal children hybrids in a post apocalyptic world. And those were all loved by many. I was completely underwhelmed by Westworld after a fantastic first season.

Also, I did a 250ug of 1P-LSD a few years ago. Profound moment but I think it makes me see things differently. Dark is very similar to that ego death moment I experienced. It really steered the sails for me. I genetically suffered pretty strongly from depression before that and I've perceived life and the world differently since then. Had a lot to do with how I approached using it in a controlled environment with a lot of education of what to expect up front.

Edit: far too much TMI. But I've known a lot of you for a lot of years.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I’m really enjoying Severance so far. It’s got some Devs vibes, a lot of “Eternal Sunshine..” in it and some Wes Anderson-esque cinematography, but more moody.

I’d definitely recommend it to you guys, AIG, Supe and Indy. Seems to fit the type of shows you like.

(Devs is worth checking out too, by the way. I’d be curious to hear what others thought about it.)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Loved Devs. I’m caught up on Severance and really liking it as well. I’m 4 episodes into Dark now. Good stuff. Watching a new episode every night.

"Be Legendary."