Movies / TV Shows

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
In2ition

Re: TV Shows / Movies

Post by In2ition »

Damn, I was looking forward to seeing it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

It's been nearly 20 years since The Matrix 3. I understand nostalgia, but you have believe this latest film would be mediocre at best simply based on Hollywood's track record with this stuff.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The first part of the movie goes meta and kind of makes fun of itself by satirizing the reboot/sequel cash grab of Hollywood. I think a few other reboots and sequels have done that already tho so that idea wasn't even that original or creative, but they had some fun with it.

Then the story becomes a bit of a rehash of the first movie. The special effects weren't as good as the originals and neither were the action scenes, which felt edited and cut a certain way to look like the actors were moving/fighting faster than they really were. In the trilogy, you saw how much the actors trained and choreographed their fight scenes; in this one, you got the feeling they trained a little and threw the scenes together quickly to look like the originals. The originals set the standard for effects and fight scenes tho, so it would've been hard to top anyway but this movie didn't even come close. Some good performances from Reeves' boss and Neil Patrick Harris. But they mostly relied on the nostalgia from the first 3. TBH, the trailer was better than the movie itself.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:02 pm
So the new Matrix kinda sucked....
Ooh. Didn't want to hear that. Can't watch until I get back home next week.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

So, I just finished watching the new Matrix in a two day marathon. It’s ridiculously long and all over the place. I agree, it had a few moments but it didn’t do a lot for me.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Agreed.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Does anyone here watch Yellowstone & 1883?

If you haven't, I would suggest watching 1883 first(even though it's still in it's first season), because if you get used to the speed of Yellowstone, you might find 1883 a bit slow moving.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:35 am

If you haven't, I would suggest watching 1883 first(even though it's still in it's first season), because if you get used to the speed of Yellowstone, you might find 1883 a bit slow moving.
My wife and I have been wanting to get into Yellowstone! We started the first episode a month or so ago and my wife had Covid depression at the time. Since she LOVES horses, watching a horse die right when the series started triggered her. We've been meaning to get back to it now that she's feeling better.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:29 am
In2ition wrote:

My wife and I have been wanting to get into Yellowstone! We started the first episode a month or so ago and my wife had Covid depression at the time. Since she LOVES horses, watching a horse die right when the series started triggered her. We've been meaning to get back to it now that she's feeling better.
Let her know that it is a TV show and no horses were harmed in the making of the show. ;)

Does she feel the same way when a character is killed in a tv show? Or maybe she likes horses more than people. I probably do, too.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:29 am
In2ition wrote:

There are a lot of horses in the show. The character that had to shoot the horse, wasn't happy about it either. The horses are definitely the good ones in the show.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

We started watching the show when it became free. If anyone wants to give you a ride to the train station decline the offer. You will thank me later.

That show is very popular with Trump supporters but, I have found a lot of Libs who watch it too. The fight between ranchers, Indians, environmentalists and the corporate world over the same land.

They gave us the first two episodes of 1883 for free to hook us. Then you pay. The young blonde star reminds me of a young Jennifer Lawrence.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:29 pm
We started watching the show when it became free. If anyone wants to give you a ride to the train station decline the offer. You will thank me later.

That show is very popular with Trump supporters but, I have found a lot of Libs who watch it too. The fight between ranchers, Indians, environmentalists and the corporate world over the same land.

They gave us the first two episodes of 1883 for free to hook us. Then you pay. The young blonde star reminds me of a young Jennifer Lawrence.
Everyone I work with is a lib, and they all love the show, which is how I heard about it. I don't know why it is supposedly more popular with Trump supporters than anyone else, and I don't know how you could make that claim. Is there data on that?

Everything else, I totally agree with. Definitely do not get a ride to the train station. And yes, that girl does resemble Jennifer Lawrence. Either way, I've enjoyed it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The only people I have heard talk about it (not online) old male family members or coworkers. They were all trump supporters. But I think that has more to do with it appealing to white men over 50 than anything else.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

It’s a solid show. Very melodramatic and often relies on annoying macguffins or characters making ridiculous decisions to drive the plot forward. It’s still highly entertaining. Very similar to Sons of Anarchy, which Taylor Sheridan was also a part of.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:08 pm
The only people I have heard talk about it (not online) old male family members or coworkers. They were all trump supporters. But I think that has more to do with it appealing to white men over 50 than anything else.
I'm not 50 yet, but all my coworkers are women that watch it. It's anecdotal, but that's the demographics of the people I know that watch it.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:35 pm
It’s a solid show. Very melodramatic and often relies on annoying macguffins or characters making ridiculous decisions to drive the plot forward. It’s still highly entertaining. Very similar to Sons of Anarchy, which Taylor Sheridan was also a part of.
I agree with you. Good show, but I was rolling my eyes at some of the plot decisions in the first season, especially when it came to the youngest Dutton kid. I just started on season two this week and it'll probably be my last as nothing is really keeping me invested now that the natural scenery and cowboy/rancher politics aren't as novel.

I also find the animosity between the Dutton daughter and her brother Jamie(?) to be extremely forced. I think Succession did a good job of balancing the Roy kid's interrelationships, but not so much for Yellowstone.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:19 pm
Shabazz wrote:
I agree with you. Good show, but I was rolling my eyes at some of the plot decisions in the first season, especially when it came to the youngest Dutton kid. I just started on season two this week and it'll probably be my last as nothing is really keeping me invested now that the natural scenery and cowboy/rancher politics aren't as novel.

I also find the animosity between the Dutton daughter and her brother Jamie(?) to be extremely forced. I think Succession did a good job of balancing the Roy kid's interrelationships, but not so much for Yellowstone.
They develop that and get in to the “why” in later seasons.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:19 pm
Shabazz wrote:

I thought that relationship was always weird. Like wtf is the problem between them? Like Shabazz says, that is addressed.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

New season of Raised by Wolves!
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:59 pm
New season of Raised by Wolves!
I liked the first season, but it went off the rails at times. A few real dud episodes. Looking forward to the 2nd season. Wife and I love sci-fi. Re-watching The Expanse with her so we can watch the new season.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton