Movies / TV Shows

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Superbone

Re: TV Shows / Movies

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:28 pm
Joker was great for all the reasons you didn't enjoy it Mori. I get tired of all of the comic book movies being the same ol' same ol'. Having one that dives into the mind of a villain the way it does and shows how mental health plays a big part in him becoming the Joker is what makes it so fascinating. If you go into it thinking it's going to be another Avengers or Batman movie, you'll be sorely disappointed.
I'm with you. It was a great psychological dive and Phoenix was excellent!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:08 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:08 am
Wife and I watched Joker and really disliked it. It was so dark and depressing, and the movie seemed way too sympathetic to the Joker and the awful life and circumstances that drove him to his life of crime. I found the whole performance kind of awkward by Joaquin Phoenix, who I normally love. The weird Tourette's-esque laughing out of nowhere was unsettling, too. Overall one of my least favorite comic book movies.
That's pretty much how I felt. I did like Phoenix's performance and I liked the style and cinematography but the story was unoriginal (Taxi Driver and Last King of Comedy) and the character was completely unsympathetic. There was no redeeming quality to Fleck; he was just a mentally ill guy spiraling downward who snapped and turned to violence, and the movie glorified it. There wasn't any deeper meaning or message IMO, it wasn't funny or satirical in a way other movies like Fight Club or American Psycho were (which were both criticized for glorifying violence and male toxicity).
Not everybody has redeeming qualities. It was dark and it felt dark. I actually enjoyed it more on the second viewing.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:43 pm
ShelC wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:08 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:08 am
Wife and I watched Joker and really disliked it. It was so dark and depressing, and the movie seemed way too sympathetic to the Joker and the awful life and circumstances that drove him to his life of crime. I found the whole performance kind of awkward by Joaquin Phoenix, who I normally love. The weird Tourette's-esque laughing out of nowhere was unsettling, too. Overall one of my least favorite comic book movies.
That's pretty much how I felt. I did like Phoenix's performance and I liked the style and cinematography but the story was unoriginal (Taxi Driver and Last King of Comedy) and the character was completely unsympathetic. There was no redeeming quality to Fleck; he was just a mentally ill guy spiraling downward who snapped and turned to violence, and the movie glorified it. There wasn't any deeper meaning or message IMO, it wasn't funny or satirical in a way other movies like Fight Club or American Psycho were (which were both criticized for glorifying violence and male toxicity).
Not everybody has redeeming qualities. It was dark and it felt dark. I actually enjoyed it more on the second viewing.
Not a question about this movie, but movie watching in general. Besides movies that came out when I was a kid (or at least under 25), I don't think I have seen a move more than once. Only one I can think of is No Country For Old Men because I caught at a hotel when it was just released and I was flipping channels and just stopped there. Do you all watch movies multiple times regularly, or only movies you REALLY love, or are you studying the film for analysis? Just curious.

I generally don't go back and re-read novels or even re-listen to novels. I have re-watched a couple TV series in my life (The Wire because it is just perfection, Lost because I was trying to see what I really liked about it the first time considering how shitty the last couple of seasons were, and TNG because I was listening to a podcast going episode by episode analyzing it for morals).

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I love rewatching movies. There just aren't that many new movies that come out that I really love, so I find take comfort in rewatching a film I know will be excellent. And I almost always find new things to appreciate on the next viewing. I've probably watched No Country 10 times. Love that one. Watched Zodiac 7-8 times. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, 5-6. Fight Club and Memento, I watched those countless times as a teen and 20-something.

Indy

Post by Indy »

do you still do that now? I did that a lot in my teens and twenties, just not anymore. not sure why.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I would say I don't regularly re-watch movies unless I really liked it or it's a classic and one of my all-time favorites. I get itches to re-watch Office Space, Airplane, Alien, Aliens all the time for example. Joker was a case of having seen it and then I was with a friend on vacation that really wanted to see it so I watched it again with him. I wouldn't have normally re-watched it in the theater. I did the same thing with Into the Spider Verse but I really liked that movie. The last movie before that I did it with was Get Out because I really liked it and wanted my brother to see it after he came into town a couple weeks after I had seen it. And Get Out turned out to be one of those movies where you notice a lot of foreshadowing on second viewing. Highly recommended for that one.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:47 pm
I would say I don't regularly re-watch movies unless I really liked it or it's a classic and one of my all-time favorites. I get itches to re-watch Office Space, Airplane, Alien, Aliens all the time for example. Joker was a case of having seen it and then I was with a friend on vacation that really wanted to see it so I watched it again with him. I wouldn't have normally re-watched it in the theater. I did the same thing with Into the Spider Verse but I really liked that movie. The last movie before that I did it with was Get Out because I really liked it and wanted my brother to see it after he came into town a couple weeks after I had seen it. And Get Out turned out to be one of those movies where you notice a lot of foreshadowing on second viewing. Highly recommended for that one.
Get Out is probably one I would re-watch. Such a good movie.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm constantly re-watching movies, even just to have something on in the background. Newer movies I'll watch a few times right away to pick up on things I might've missed. I'll read reviews, trivia, goofs, interviews from the actors/director and then go back and watch again. I may not watch the entire movie thru but start at different points, watch certain scenes.

But anytime the Godfather, Indiana Jones, Star Wars are being played on cable, they're on my TV. Usually any movies on TBS, TNT, AMC, SyFy, etc I'll throw on during the weekends if I'm home. Just easy viewing, entertaining. PlutoTV is a free streaming service that had a 24/7 Bond channel and I never turned it off lol.

I'm not like that at all with TV shows for some reason. I have no desire to watch GoT or the Sopranos again. Maybe if there's a Breaking Bad marathon on TV I'll watch a few episodes and get back into it, but I won't make it a point to watch it on my own.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Another disappointing affect of COVID is the delay of Succession's third season. That's easily been my favorite show in recent years.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Have to come back to the Joker. I didn’t love Joker. I liked it though. It was a little dark. I did feel sorry for the character. He was one of the dregs of society, beat up and crapped on. He had a condition as well from his F’ed up upbringing like a lot of people do. There is a lot of people on the bottom with serious issues that reach a breaking point. People like the Columbine murders. Kids picked on in school until they break. They might have grown ip and lived normal lives under different circumstances. The Joker showed how a semi normal person can get completely F’ed up by other people and lose their shit and become murderers. I found it refreshing for a take on a comic book character.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Last Dance is the only series I think I've ever watched all episodes and there was only 9 of them.

Loved the Joker though it had it's holes. Memento and Fight Club I thought I loved but I watched them both again and think I just loved that style of movie as they were so original at the time. Still good films, neither make the top 10 these days (hardly a definitive list, more or less just a quick scan of IMDb top 200 films..).

Jackie Brown
Amadeus
Apocalypse Now
Django Unchained
A Clockwork Orange
Inception
V for Vendetta
Whiplash
La Haine
Gladiator

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:07 pm
I'm not like that at all with TV shows for some reason. I have no desire to watch GoT or the Sopranos again. Maybe if there's a Breaking Bad marathon on TV I'll watch a few episodes and get back into it, but I won't make it a point to watch it on my own.
I've re-watched the entirety of Game of Thrones a couple of times. I really love that show, up until about the end of Season 6 or so. It gets really bad in Seasons 7-8; really disappointing drop-off once they were winging it with no more help from George RR Martin.

@Indy good call about rewatching Alien / Aliens. Great pair to watch back-to-back. Aliens is one of the greatest sequels ever made IMO. Terminator 1-2 are also great back-to-back. I love the first Terminator much more than the second one, but I'm in a rare group there.

I don't rewatch The Godfather, really; seen Godfather 1 and 2 once each and enjoyed them, but I never became a Godfather junkie. Been meaning to watch them again. I can't get my wife to appreciate any movies about "bad men" like gangster movies. She hates watching the arc where they all get greedy, hooked on drugs, violent, and inevitably turn on each other and fall from grace. She says movies like that are depressing.

We just watched Dark, season 3, episode 1 last night. Won't discuss here (no spoilers!) but we enjoy that show a lot.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:40 am
ShelC wrote:
I've re-watched the entirety of Game of Thrones a couple of times. I really love that show, up until about the end of Season 6 or so. It gets really bad in Seasons 7-8; really disappointing drop-off once they were winging it with no more help from George RR Martin.

@Indy good call about rewatching Alien / Aliens. Great pair to watch back-to-back. Aliens is one of the greatest sequels ever made IMO. Terminator 1-2 are also great back-to-back. I love the first Terminator much more than the second one, but I'm in a rare group there.

I don't rewatch The Godfather, really; seen Godfather 1 and 2 once each and enjoyed them, but I never became a Godfather junkie. Been meaning to watch them again. I can't get my wife to appreciate any movies about "bad men" like gangster movies. She hates watching the arc where they all get greedy, hooked on drugs, violent, and inevitably turn on each other and fall from grace. She says movies like that are depressing.

We just watched Dark, season 3, episode 1 last night. Won't discuss here (no spoilers!) but we enjoy that show a lot.
I am pretty sure that was @superbone

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:57 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:40 am
ShelC wrote:

I am pretty sure that was @superbone
I am properly insulted.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I just watched Alien and Aliens back to back. I had to do it when my wife is gone because she hates those kind of movies. “They’re everywhere!”

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:22 am
I just watched Alien and Aliens back to back. I had to do it when my wife is gone because she hates those kind of movies. “They’re everywhere!”
I assume you've seen Whiplash? Would be right up your alley if not.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

3rdside wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:24 am
Nodack wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:22 am
I assume you've seen Whiplash? Would be right up your alley if not.
One of my favorites too. Might be time for an Alien/Aliens/Whiplash July 4th weekend. Movie monster weekend!
"Be Legendary."

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

I am so bored of study and isolation that I am also going to do Alien / Aliens this weekend .. haven't watched a movie since the deep dark lock down days of two months ago and haven't seen those two films since the 90's.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

3rdside wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:07 pm
I am so bored of study and isolation that I am also going to do Alien / Aliens this weekend .. haven't watched a movie since the deep dark lock down days of two months ago and haven't seen those two films since the 90's.
Cool! Looking forward to your impressions almost 30 years later.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Yes, I saw Whiplash. I was in the Scottsdale Community College Jazz band out of HS and It wasn’t nearly as intense as that movie. Then again we weren’t that good.