Movies / TV Shows

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: TV Shows / Movies

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I definitely remember that scene. It was one of the first big heel turns in the show.

The actor who played Michael also did a phenomenal job with that character, which made it memorable for me.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:03 pm
I definitely remember that scene. It was one of the first big heel turns in the show.

The actor who played Michael also did a phenomenal job with that character, which made it memorable for me.
He was amazing on that. And they had to get her off the series some how. Not a bad way to do it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Oh, and yeah I actually watched that show twice. I wish the writers had a plan, instead of making it up as it went. They were not good at that. It seems to be a recurring theme with them, too.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:37 pm
Oh, and yeah I actually watched that show twice. I wish the writers had a plan, instead of making it up as it went. They were not good at that. It seems to be a recurring theme with them, too.
IIRC, they were held captive by ABC's number crunching to decide if they would renew at the end of every season. I don't think they ever gave them more than a single season at a time to work with.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:41 pm
Indy wrote:
IIRC, they were held captive by ABC's number crunching to decide if they would renew at the end of every season. I don't think they ever gave them more than a single season at a time to work with.
I think that is true for the first couple of seasons, but I thought they even extended it a season at the end when the creators hoped they wouldn't. ABC spent plenty of money advertising and building on-line content for them (like DHARMA websites and cross-promotions).

When you don't have a through-line or know how the story ends, you kind of want the show to get cancelled so you look smart and just done in by the MAN. I mean season 5 was just god awful. They have been pretty open about how they didn't really know how or why things were the way they were in the show's world. They were just doing cool/fun stuff without reason or world building or grounding. It is like the exact opposite approach of Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:50 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:41 pm
Indy wrote:
I think that is true for the first couple of seasons, but I thought they even extended it a season at the end when the creators hoped they wouldn't. ABC spent plenty of money advertising and building on-line content for them (like DHARMA websites and cross-promotions).

When you don't have a through-line or know how the story ends, you kind of want the show to get cancelled so you look smart and just done in by the MAN. I mean season 5 was just god awful. They have been pretty open about how they didn't really know how or why things were the way they were in the show's world. They were just doing cool/fun stuff without reason or world building or grounding. It is like the exact opposite approach of Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul.
I was just going to say that Gilligan and his staff handled this approach, writing it as they went, much better. Although I’m sure they had an overarching story planned out. As in all-time top 10 series better. Pinkman was supposed to be short lived.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Squid Game was great.

Succession remains the best thing on TV.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I enjoyed Squid Game until the 6th(?) episode that introduced the VIP characters. The acting was so bad that it completely ruined the immersion. I couldn't get past it and haven't gone back to that show for a couple of weeks now. I should probably watch the last two episodes anyway. Coincidently, there was a really interesting post on r/Korea that addressed this problem in Korean TV.
https://www.reddit.com/r/korea/comments ... _in_korea/

I've also been anticipating Succession for far too long, but I'm waiting a while for episodes to pass so I can watch them at my own pace.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:07 am
I enjoyed Squid Game until the 6th(?) episode that introduced the VIP characters. The acting was so bad that it completely ruined the immersion. I couldn't get past it and haven't gone back to that show for a couple of weeks now. I should probably watch the last two episodes anyway. Coincidently, there was a really interesting post on r/Korea that addressed this problem in Korean TV.
https://www.reddit.com/r/korea/comments ... _in_korea/

I've also been anticipating Succession for far too long, but I'm waiting a while for episodes to pass so I can watch them at my own pace.
It's funny you say this. This was the scene that I stepped into when my boys were watching the show. I was thinking the same thing, and at the time didn't feel the need to even start watching the show based on what I just saw.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Completely agree. The VIPs nearly killed it. I tried to compartmentalize that and appreciate the rest of the show for what it was.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Too Soon? Or Not Soon Enough?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

WTF In2?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:16 am
WTF In2?
You can direct your outrage at Alec. Actors are never supposed to point their guns at other actors or crew, and the editing takes place afterwards to make it look like they are. And handling guns 101 says, Never point a weapon at anyone or anything you don't intend to shoot. Always clear your weapon when you take possession of it to make sure it isn't loaded. And, never let anyone else load your ammo, always do it yourself.

My sympathy goes to Halyna Hutchins and her family, along with the director that was also shot.

Indy

Post by Indy »

How do you think they get a shot of an actor firing a gun towards the screen? There is a camera in front of them and they are filming it when it happens. Guess what, the cinematographer is behind the camera (and often so is the director).

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:01 pm
How do you think they get a shot of an actor firing a gun towards the screen? There is a camera in front of them and they are filming it when it happens. Guess what, the cinematographer is behind the camera (and often so is the director).
That sounds reasonable to what could have happened. Do you think the investigation finds anything where charges could be coming for negligence?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

WTF kind of prop guns are being used on these sets? How the hell can ammo even enter one of these "prop" guns that should NEVER have the potential to be used as actual weapons? There is negligence all over the place. I remember when I was younger something similar happening to Brandon Lee on the set of The Crow and him dying at a young age.

Again, how does something like this even have the possibility of happening? It makes no sense at all.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

Considering they almost never charge parents when their kids find their guns and kill themselves or someone else, I doubt they are going to find enough to charge someone for negligence on improper loading of a blank cartridge or mix up from hero gun to prop gun.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertai ... 132220001/

So he was apparently firing a gun with a live single round. WHY!?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

Probably because someone mixed up the live round and blank round.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I knew it had to be a live round. Blanks don’t have a bullet and have only 25-50% of the gun powder of a live round. I couldn’t fathom how a shell with no bullet could spit out enough gun powder that could travel through the air, penetrate and go through a person and then hit the person behind them. Makes zero sense. What’s a live round doing on the set? They have weapons experts that handle and load the weapons, not the actors.