Movies / TV Shows

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Mori Chu

Movies / TV Shows

Post by Mori Chu »

What're you guys watching lately?

My wife and I are about to start Dark season 3; super excited for that. If you haven't seen Dark, check it out. German-made Netflix show with mystery and complexity; very well done. We are also finally just finishing The Mandalorian on Disney+, which is a bit forgettable but fun and very beautifully shot/made. We started watching Mindhunter on Netflix, but we had to stop because it was too graphic and violent and we can't have it on around the kids, haha.

What else?

Nodack

Re: TV Shows / Movies

Post by Nodack »

I got AppleTV+ free for a year so we have been checking out some of that stuff. We watched the whole season of Servant. That was kind of trippy. We watched about three episodes of Defending Jacob. A state prosecutor’s son is accused of murder. We watched an episode of The Morning Show. Not what I expected. I expected a comedy and it’s not. It’s a network news morning show female male duo kind of like Morning Joe on a liberal network and right off the bat the male guy anchor is accused of sexual assault and that’s how the show starts out. It touches a subject that is very touchy in America today.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I heard that AppleTV is going to do a show based on Isaac Asimov's Foundation series. I loooooved that series when I was younger, so I'm excited about that news.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I've been taking a break after a long streak. Finished Star Trek Discovery. It got better and better. Finally finished watching ep. 1 of Picard. Will probably finish that next. Need to get back to Mandalorian and finish that. Want to check out the new Twilight Zone. Too much good TV but I've really gotten back into the trombone lately so that's taking up a lot of my time. Recently purchased a vintage, beautiful trombone made in 1955. Really looking forward to getting and playing that.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I love Star Wars, couldn't get into The Mandalorian. Watched about half the season before I lost interest. Would've liked more bounty hunting and adventures. Felt more like a video game.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:16 pm
I've been taking a break after a long streak. Finished Star Trek Discovery. It got better and better. Finally finished watching ep. 1 of Picard. Will probably finish that next. Need to get back to Mandalorian and finish that. Want to check out the new Twilight Zone. Too much good TV but I've really gotten back into the trombone lately so that's taking up a lot of my time. Recently purchased a vintage, beautiful trombone made in 1955. Really looking forward to getting and playing that.
Awesome! What kind of music do you play bone to? Big band? Jazz standards? Chicago? Tower Of Power?

With Covid and gigs all gone, I have neglected my playing and my chops went South a little. Been recording guitar on a bunch of latin tunes lately and that has really helped bring the chops back to life.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:52 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:16 pm
Awesome! What kind of music do you play bone to? Big band? Jazz standards? Chicago? Tower Of Power?

With Covid and gigs all gone, I have neglected my playing and my chops went South a little. Been recording guitar on a bunch of latin tunes lately and that has really helped bring the chops back to life.
Nice, I love latin jazz. I mostly work on my soloing on jazz standards changes. Love Chicago and Blood, Sweat, and Tears. Used to perform Chicago with my high school buddies around town. I can still play the ending trombone solo on Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is? from memory. It's a great lick. I do love playing modern big band jazz and will have to find a band to play in although probably not until I retire from the full time gig but you never know. I want to get into recording those multi-track videos everybody's doing these days where I can play all the parts.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Fall. It isn't a new show, but one that seems to get lost a bit. It was really, really good.

Lately I watched all of Ozark. I thought season 1 was good, season 2 ok, and season 3 meh, but I read a ton of people that thought it got better each year. YMMV.

I watched Normal People and thought it was really well made, but didn't interest me much.

Unorthodox on Netflix was pretty interesting.

I am watching through The Leftovers on HBO. I heard a bit about it when it was on, but didn't start any of it until last month. Supposedly it gets better each season. I am just over half-way through it.

Oh, and I am finally watching VEEP. I am 3 season in now. It is basically Arrested Development for HBO.

I have held out on watching the final season of Silicone Valley and BoJack Horseman. Those shows are great, and I just don't want them to end. So I will continue to wait.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Been watching Sci-Fi movies with my wife when our daughter goes to sleep at night. Purchased several on Google Play Movies. Arrival, Interstellar, The Abyss and Contact. We've yet to watch Contact but the others were fantastic.

We've also started Fargo. First season, episode 5.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

My wife and I watched Picard and were disappointed. Didn't feel like Trek to me. Won't go into detail because I don't want to spoil it, but maybe when you're done watching it we can discuss.

I've meant to check out The Leftovers. I also should finish Silicon Valley; I've seen parts of the first two seasons. I have never seen Bojack Horseman, and I keep hearing good things about it. Same for Bob's Burgers.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:26 pm
My wife and I watched Picard and were disappointed. Didn't feel like Trek to me. Won't go into detail because I don't want to spoil it, but maybe when you're done watching it we can discuss.

I've meant to check out The Leftovers. I also should finish Silicon Valley; I've seen parts of the first two seasons. I have never seen Bojack Horseman, and I keep hearing good things about it. Same for Bob's Burgers.
Start a Picard thread and we can talk about it.

BoJack is fantastic. Like one of the best shows I have ever seen, and I don't mean one of the best animated shows, or one of the best comedy shows. Just one of the best.

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:52 pm
Been watching Sci-Fi movies with my wife when our daughter goes to sleep at night. Purchased several on Google Play Movies. Arrival, Interstellar, The Abyss and Contact. We've yet to watch Contact but the others were fantastic.

We've also started Fargo. First season, episode 5.
Contact is really good.

Fargo is great.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I've heard Ozark is good and wanted to start it. Highly recommend Peaky Blinders if you're into family crime/gangster shows. A little hard to understand sometimes because of the English accents but worth the effort and a quick watch as each season is just 6 episodes.

I'm more of a movie guy tho but haven't seen many lately because of no new releases. Loved Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, which is great if you like Tarantino. Didn't like Joker at all, Uncut Gems wasn't that great either. The Lighthouse is an interesting psychological thriller, a little uneven but really well shot. Pattinson was very good in it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wife and I watched Joker and really disliked it. It was so dark and depressing, and the movie seemed way too sympathetic to the Joker and the awful life and circumstances that drove him to his life of crime. I found the whole performance kind of awkward by Joaquin Phoenix, who I normally love. The weird Tourette's-esque laughing out of nowhere was unsettling, too. Overall one of my least favorite comic book movies.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I liked the Joker. I shows how F’ed up people get more F’ed up by other F’ed up people and eventually lose their shit and F up people.

Abyss is one of my favorites. Contact was really good. Fargo was F’ed up but good. One of my all time favorites is one of the least liked movies Postman with Kevin Costner. I like those post apocalyptic movies.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:55 am
I like those post apocalyptic movies.
Then you’re going to love reality.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Joker was great for all the reasons you didn't enjoy it Mori. I get tired of all of the comic book movies being the same ol' same ol'. Having one that dives into the mind of a villain the way it does and shows how mental health plays a big part in him becoming the Joker is what makes it so fascinating. If you go into it thinking it's going to be another Avengers or Batman movie, you'll be sorely disappointed.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Joker is a hard character to play. Give me Heath Ledger or Jack Nicholson any day over Phoenix's version. To each his own.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think both of those guys played Joker as a villain for villain's sake. I get that they were written that way, but still. A villain is always a hero of his own story. I haven't seen Joker yet, and not sure if I will anytime soon. I still have only seen about half of the 20 Marvel movies.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:08 am
Wife and I watched Joker and really disliked it. It was so dark and depressing, and the movie seemed way too sympathetic to the Joker and the awful life and circumstances that drove him to his life of crime. I found the whole performance kind of awkward by Joaquin Phoenix, who I normally love. The weird Tourette's-esque laughing out of nowhere was unsettling, too. Overall one of my least favorite comic book movies.
That's pretty much how I felt. I did like Phoenix's performance and I liked the style and cinematography but the story was unoriginal (Taxi Driver and Last King of Comedy) and the character was completely unsympathetic. There was no redeeming quality to Fleck; he was just a mentally ill guy spiraling downward who snapped and turned to violence, and the movie glorified it. There wasn't any deeper meaning or message IMO, it wasn't funny or satirical in a way other movies like Fight Club or American Psycho were (which were both criticized for glorifying violence and male toxicity).