Video Games

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Kryptonic

Re: Video Games

Post by Kryptonic »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:32 pm
Kryptonic wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:21 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:15 pm
Glad you're enjoying Helldivers 2. Sony just had large scale layoffs.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/ ... nd-others/
That's unfortunate and seems to be a trend the last 2 months or so with game developers.

Looks like you retired at the right time 'Bone. :shock:
That was an interesting conversation. Yeah, looks like my timing is pretty good although the game I worked on for the last 20 years seems safe. I was talking to former co-workers earlier and we're actually getting lunch tomorrow. I realize how lucky I was to work at only two companies for the majority of my career. Especially the last 23 years at Sony and 20+ of that just on The Show. I was very lucky to get on that project and it seems to have real staying power and may be unaffected by this current round of layoffs.
Yea... It shouldn't be affected.

So I have one gripe about sports games.... I get tired of buying the same game over and over again year after year when it's basically (not all of the time) just updated rosters and maybe some better visuals. I'm not speaking so much to The Show, but freaking Madden. That game pissed me off and got tired of buying every iteration as each update was not an improvement. NBA2k and The Show aren't as egregious about this but still you'd think just putting out an updated roster patch and a dlc update annually would be just fine instead of charging a full $70/game.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Kryptonic wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:40 pm
Superbone wrote:
Kryptonic wrote:
Superbone wrote:

That's unfortunate and seems to be a trend the last 2 months or so with game developers.

That was an interesting conversation. Yeah, looks like my timing is pretty good although the game I worked on for the last 20 years seems safe. I was talking to former co-workers earlier and we're actually getting lunch tomorrow. I realize how lucky I was to work at only two companies for the majority of my career. Especially the last 23 years at Sony and 20+ of that just on The Show. I was very lucky to get on that project and it seems to have real staying power and may be unaffected by this current round of layoffs.

So I have one gripe about sports games.... I get tired of buying the same game over and over again year after year when it's basically (not all of the time) just updated rosters and maybe some better visuals. I'm not speaking so much to The Show, but freaking Madden. That game pissed me off and got tired of buying every iteration as each update was not an improvement. NBA2k and The Show aren't as egregious about this but still you'd think just putting out an updated roster patch and a dlc update annually would be just fine instead of charging a full $70/game.
Dude, I won't reach through my monitor and strangle you but this drives me crazy. And it's not just you. I hear it often. "It's just a roster update."

Yearly sports titles have less than a year to develop each iteration. Probably something like 9 true months of actual new development after subtracting polish, bug fixing, and release and ensuing patches. There is a ton of work that goes into that 9 months. Not all of it is obvious as some of it is what we call tech debt. Cleaning up and streamlining the underlining code so that new code and features can be developed better.

We are made up of many teams. Presentation, audio, graphics, animators, UX, AI, etc. I guarantee you each of those groups puts their all into those 9 months of innovating and adding new features. Not all of them even make it into the next title due to that short timeframe. But there is SO much work that goes into it. Also, at least The Show anyways, has to support 5 platforms plus future platforms. A lot of the work is getting everything to work on all platforms in each of those areas mentioned above.

We could do a roster update in a couple weeks time. If you're not seeing enough progress then buy every other year. But I can guarantee you that a ton of blood, sweat, and tears goes into every single year. OK, I am off my soapbox.
"Be Legendary."

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:00 pm
Kryptonic wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Kryptonic wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Dude, I won't reach through my monitor and strangle you but this drives me crazy. And it's not just you. I hear it often. "It's just a roster update."

Yearly sports titles have less than a year to develop each iteration. Probably something like 9 true months of actual new development after subtracting polish, bug fixing, and release and ensuing patches. There is a ton of work that goes into that 9 months. Not all of it is obvious as some of it is what we call tech debt. Cleaning up and streamlining the underlining code so that new code and features can be developed better.

We are made up of many teams. Presentation, audio, graphics, animators, UX, AI, etc. I guarantee you each of those groups puts their all into those 9 months of innovating and adding new features. Not all of them even make it into the next title due to that short timeframe. But there is SO much work that goes into it. Also, at least The Show anyways, has to support 5 platforms plus future platforms. A lot of the work is getting everything to work on all platforms in each of those areas mentioned above.

We could do a roster update in a couple weeks time. If you're not seeing enough progress then buy every other year. But I can guarantee you that a ton of blood, sweat, and tears goes into every single year. OK, I am off my soapbox.
Sorry to ruffle your feathers... I get your sentiment since you worked in the industry however I'm just relaying what myself and everyone I know that plays says. Sony... They'd be better off just turning it into a live service and charge 14.99/month like WoW and provide constant updates. I think that model has a better image to consumers. It just gets old collecting old MLB The Show physical media, not to mention it's TERRIBLE for the environment :P

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

I can, and should only speak for myself, but I am not a fan of the subscription model, either monthly or yearly. And extrapolate that out to games, and my gears are really grinded.

I don't purchase as much physical media on games as I used to, but it's still a nice alternative if I ever want to loan the game out, and/or avoid putting all of the storage on the console

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

You're 100% right, it's just a matter of what works best for your time and budget. I like the pc subscriptions for xbox games pass and ubisoft+... but I also have a lot of time to where I just grind out what I want to play and cancel the subscription. Starfield was $70 retail... Gamespass $9.99.

I miss physical media and games aren't getting any smaller. As is I bought an additional 2tb ssd for my ps5 and my pc has 4tb ssd. I have an extra 2tb ssd I could put in my pc but haven't had the need yet. Games like Destiny 2 and Call of Duty are both around 150gbs by themselves and take up a healthy chunk of space just by themselves, not to mention they both pump out massive updates around 60gbs.

Now don't get me started on data caps on internet providers... Cox especially. Evidently Unlimited means 1.4tb's a month... Found that out a few years ago and have to pay extra. :lol:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Kryptonic wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:23 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:00 pm
Kryptonic wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Kryptonic wrote:

Sorry to ruffle your feathers... I get your sentiment since you worked in the industry however I'm just relaying what myself and everyone I know that plays says. Sony... They'd be better off just turning it into a live service and charge 14.99/month like WoW and provide constant updates. I think that model has a better image to consumers. It just gets old collecting old MLB The Show physical media, not to mention it's TERRIBLE for the environment :P
It's not sentiment, it's just facts. Of course, you and your friends are allowed to think whatever you want, doesn't make you right. Calling it a roster update is insulting. Don't buy the games if you're not getting enough value.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'll say one last thing on this subject. Our true fans, the ones that don't just play our games superficially, know that they are a lot more than roster updates. These are the fans that play through all the various modes that give them 100s of hours of playtime. They see all the changes from year to year and all results of the tens of 1000s of hours put in by the development team. I'm looking forward to playing The Show this year and seeing all the changes since I last worked on the game a year ago. Especially looking forward to playing through all the new Negro League stories.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

The day that The Show is a PC release, I'm a day 1 purchase.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:29 am
100%….

Sorry Bone for upsetting you…. Wasn’t my intentions. The Shows always been one of my favorites. 😉

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:46 pm
I'll say one last thing on this subject. Our true fans, the ones that don't just play our games superficially, know that they are a lot more than roster updates. These are the fans that play through all the various modes that give them 100s of hours of playtime. They see all the changes from year to year and all results of the tens of 1000s of hours put in by the development team. I'm looking forward to playing The Show this year and seeing all the changes since I last worked on the game a year ago. Especially looking forward to playing through all the new Negro League stories.
Got the game for Switch last year so I could finally play (I only own a PC and Switch, 3rd World Problems). LOVED the Negro League Stories!
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

EA to Lay Off Around 670 Workers, Sunsetting Games, 'Moving Away From Future Licensed IP'

https://www.ign.com/articles/ea-to-lay- ... ay-we-work

Just when you think it can't get any worse...

My only hope is that all of these people losing their jobs form some new developer that kills it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Maybe some day. We're on pretty much every other platform.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Kryptonic wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:43 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
100%….

Sorry Bone for upsetting you…. Wasn’t my intentions. The Shows always been one of my favorites. 😉
Dude, you didn't upset me. Just giving facts. People who call it "just a roster update" have no idea of what they're talking about.
"Be Legendary."

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Sign me up.....

https://duneawakening.com/

This looks awesome!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Been playing Helldivers II some. Fortnight has too many cheaters. Getting much better at Rocket League. Still not that good.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:35 pm
Been playing Helldivers II some. Fortnight has too many cheaters. Getting much better at Rocket League. Still not that good.
HD2 is a good time….

Been playing last epoch on steam…. Pretty fun game, better than Diablo 4 for sure.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:35 pm
I still play Rocket League twice a week with my buddies and love it. I am in the Diamond III league; occasionally I rank up to Champion but usually get bounced out of there pretty fast. We participate in the nightly tournaments and have won a few at Diamond level. We occasionally get placed into a Champion's league tournament, but if so, we almost always lose in the first round. (We once made it to the final-4 of a champ tourney but then got absolutely demolished.)

Right now when the baby/kids permit I am finding time for a few other games. On my Steam Deck I'm finally playing Slay the Spire. Such a fun game! Basically Dominion as a video game. I've beaten the "final" boss in Act 3 about 3-4 times now. I'm also playing through the Super Mario RPG remake with my wife now that we've beaten Octopath Traveler II. SMRPG is a classic game, lovingly remade into HD for Switch. Loving that playthrough a lot. My wife never did play through the original SNES version so it's all new and fun to her.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Been having a great time with this game…. AIG, you’ll love it for sure if you’re not already playing it.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Kryptonic wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:57 am
Been having a great time with this game…. AIG, you’ll love it for sure if you’re not already playing it.

I've only put in about 30 hours on PC. Another 25 hours on Switch. Hopefully it doesn't come out for Android soon.