Video Games

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Superbone

Re: Video Games

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:48 am
A bit random, but I just loved this article dissecting how several games on the SNES / Genesis performed sophisticated 3d graphical effects. Quite technical, but you can kind of skip the details and just look at the cool screenshots and gifs. Also it's in French, but my browser happily translated it for me.

https://upsilandre.over-blog.com/2023/0 ... ode-7.html
Cool stuff. Programmers have been exploiting hardware and figuring out these tricks since the beginning of gaming.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Kryptonic wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:38 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:23 am
Kryptonic wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:15 pm
Superbone wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:48 pm
Kryptonic wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:04 pm

If you get the PS5 updated version, I'd restart it and play it. I've played through it probably 4-5 times and a little of the online. I have it on PC but haven't messed with mods yet, which is where I guess it really shines. Funny enough, it's super popular with the teenagers these days. Both my 16 and 18 year olds play it.

There's another open world game called Cyberpunk2077 very similar to GTA V and HIGHLY recommend it. I'm sure AIG is all over it... it has lots of nudity in it :P j/k
I remember when Cyberpunk came out that it was riddled with bugs. Sounds like they were able to get past that and fix it up.
Yea, it's had a really good redemption with patches and the latest DLC. They totally reworked the skill tree from the original onset to make it a little more streamlined. I'll pick up the DLC (which stars Edris Elba) and play it whenever I find it on sale since the reviews were stellar for it. I really want to play it on my PC (I was able to transfer my PS4/5 save file) since I have an RTX 4090 :)
4090... Oh man! What I'd give. I have a 3080 ti :(
Still a great card tbh :)

Man the pixels really pop on Slay the Spire :P I have 3 different save files on that dang game lol.. One on my ipad, one on my iphone and one on pc. Fun game.
Yeah! I've got StS on everything I own that can play it lol
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

What games did you guys get for Christmas? I got the Super Mario RPG remake for Switch. Can't wait to revisit that classic. Music by the same gal (Yoko Shimomura) who did the soundtracks for Final Fight, Street Fighter II, Kingdom Hearts, Xenoblade Chronicles, and many other all-time greats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoko_Shimomura

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I recently started playing a great adventure/puzzle game on PS5 (on other platforms as well) called Cocoon. It got game of the year in its category.
"Be Legendary."

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:51 pm
I recently started playing a great adventure/puzzle game on PS5 (on other platforms as well) called Cocoon. It got game of the year in its category.
Yea it looks pretty good…. I’ll have to check it out.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I hear that game has amazing mocap of Wilford Brimley.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:15 pm
;) No relation.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Mori Chu wrote:
He's in his 80's and dead :P
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:30 am
Mori Chu wrote:
He's in his 80's and dead :P
Bring back Guttenberg! 🤣

lol I love how we’re still going with this…. Too bad they never made a cocoon game, but think they’d have had hard time selling the premise of abducting senior citizens. 😂

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Anyone have a vr setup? If played the meta quest 2 darth vader game. Was pretty good and just wish the resolution/refresh rate was better/smoother. Once it’s there and affordable, I’m down.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Kryptonic wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:37 am
Anyone have a vr setup? If played the meta quest 2 darth vader game. Was pretty good and just wish the resolution/refresh rate was better/smoother. Once it’s there and affordable, I’m down.
I bought the VR headset for the PS4, but it was underwhelming enough that it's put me off of VR gaming for a while. It was just kind of too much of a chore to set up and play. Lots of cords, controllers, things with batteries that would need charging, AC adaptors, cables to connect the A/V to the original system, etc. etc. and then once you finally got it all set up, the games were ... okay. It was pretty cool to just look around in a VR environment, but that novelty kind of wears off. And then a lot of the games end up just being normal games, not VR, but with a semi-dynamic camera that moves as you move your head. So it felt like they missed the point. Another gripe I had was that the hardware didn't feel quite powerful enough to give me a crisp high-res image at a high frame rate. I wanted it to really feel real and immersive, and I just felt like I was looking at an HDMI screen.

I admit that a dedicated VR gaming system, like the new Oculus / Meta ones, might be better in a lot of the ways I just described. But I figure that given the high cost I'll wait 1-2 generations.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Quest 3 is legit. I've had 6 different VR headsets (started with the Oculus DK2 / developer kit, a Samsung VR headset where I had to insert a Samsung phone for the display, have had the HTC Vive, Quest 1, 2 and 3) and it's my favorite. They fixed the sweet spot issue (where you have to look at the very exact small center of the lens to read text and see details) with the pancake lenses.
https://chat.openai.com/share/e92b1ca7- ... d1c5cdf00d

I use it for both PCVR and standalone. No wires, no base stations for tracking, no mess. Quick and easy to get into. I play Microsoft Flight Simulator with joystick on PC and the visuals are incredible. Nothing compares to such an experience. I've been flying over New Zealand much of my limited free time. For standalone, I play a lot of Racket Club (https://www.meta.com/experiences/6022041731249559/) as well as Asgards Wrath 2 and In Death Unchained.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

13 yr old boy is the first to ever beat Tetris. Crazy! The Galatic Federation will now scoop him up to fight against the evil Falcors. ;)
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wow. Lot's to process there. First of all, crazy speed at the end. His reaction when he did it was great. All these technical Tetris terms crack me up. How serious they take gaming is also hilarious. Plus the fact that they have all these qualifiers and competitions. Man, and then the end is heart breaking. I hadn't even seen it yet when I started typing. His father died at only 39-years-old middle of last month before the holidays. And from what I can tell, he broke the record after his dad had passed.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:14 am
Quest 3 is legit. I've had 6 different VR headsets (started with the Oculus DK2 / developer kit, a Samsung VR headset where I had to insert a Samsung phone for the display, have had the HTC Vive, Quest 1, 2 and 3) and it's my favorite. They fixed the sweet spot issue (where you have to look at the very exact small center of the lens to read text and see details) with the pancake lenses.
https://chat.openai.com/share/e92b1ca7- ... d1c5cdf00d

I use it for both PCVR and standalone. No wires, no base stations for tracking, no mess. Quick and easy to get into. I play Microsoft Flight Simulator with joystick on PC and the visuals are incredible. Nothing compares to such an experience. I've been flying over New Zealand much of my limited free time. For standalone, I play a lot of Racket Club (https://www.meta.com/experiences/6022041731249559/) as well as Asgards Wrath 2 and In Death Unchained.
I am so tempted to get one. Loved the Quest 2. No wires is a must for VR for me. I just don't play it enough. I wish I hadn't purchased the Sony VR2. Thinking out loud, I should sell it. Never play it.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Speaking of which, do you guys know what platform is the best for selling this kind of thing? I don't think eBay is the place anymore.
"Be Legendary."

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:33 pm
Speaking of which, do you guys know what platform is the best for selling this kind of thing? I don't think eBay is the place anymore.
My father in law swears by Facebook marketplace…. If you’re in a pretty central location you shouldn’t have an issue offloading it. Curious, how much you looking to sell it for?

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Been playing some of the new call of duty modern warfare 3 zombies mode…. It’s pretty fun and a nice change from the previous iterations.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Kryptonic wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:45 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:33 pm
My father in law swears by Facebook marketplace…. If you’re in a pretty central location you shouldn’t have an issue offloading it. Curious, how much you looking to sell it for?
Thanks. Maybe we could work out a deal. Haven't looked into it but just want fair market value. I'd be willing to give you a discount.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

LMAO, Brian Cox appears in this video promo for the upcoming Tekken 8. I didn't have that on my bingo card.