Video Games

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Superbone

Re: Video Games

Post by Superbone »

I recently ordered an Oculus Quest 2 wireless VR for my birthday. Legit excited to get it. I have the PSVR but I've always said it won't really start to take off until it becomes wireless. It's here...

Anybody have experience with it? I'm hearing great things. Really looking forward to some virtual ping pong. I understand that it is an amazing simulation. We'll see if it can handle my spin.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Re: Home Cardio Machines

Post by AmareIsGod »

Did you get your Quest 2 Bone? I have a few recommendations.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:17 pm
I recently ordered an Oculus Quest 2 wireless VR for my birthday. Legit excited to get it. I have the PSVR but I've always said it won't really start to take off until it becomes wireless. It's here...

Anybody have experience with it? I'm hearing great things. Really looking forward to some virtual ping pong. I understand that it is an amazing simulation. We'll see if it can handle my spin.
please report back

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:07 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:17 pm

please report back
Will do. Unfortunately, it's not arriving until Feb 2.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:45 pm
I'm all ears! But I don't get mine until Feb 2 currently according to Oculus. Games I'm interested in so far:

Tetris Effect
Beat Saber
Rez Infinite
Eleven Ping Pong
The Room VR: A Dark Matter
Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge

Exercise:

Dance Central
Creed
Path of the Warrior
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

so not for your birthday. :(

can't wait to hear your review

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:01 am
so not for your birthday. :(

can't wait to hear your review
It's my birthday gift to myself but yeah, no stock until then.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:00 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:45 pm
I'm all ears! But I don't get mine until Feb 2 currently according to Oculus. Games I'm interested in so far:

Tetris Effect
Beat Saber
Rez Infinite
Eleven Ping Pong
The Room VR: A Dark Matter
Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge

Exercise:

Dance Central
Creed
Path of the Warrior
Your first set of games, all are very good. I have Rez Infinite on PC and use Virtual Desktop to stream SteamVR wirelessly and really enjoy it. Eleven Ping Pong, I'd love to play you sometime. It's fantastic. I highly recommend Top Golf Pro Putt or Walkabout Mini Golf as well. Star Wars Tales From The Galaxy's Edge was disappointing to a couple of my friends who are Star Wars fanatics. The gameplay is very ho hum. If you like bows and arrows, In Death Unchained is my most played game. Absolutely amazing game with constant updates and free additional content. Pistol Whip is my next most played game. Rhythm based gun game that is a massive workout.

I recommend The Thrill of the Fight over Creed. Far far more realistic and definitely the game that had made me sweat the most. It's amazing. I refunded Creed after playing both, also a relatively easy process (refunds).
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Great stuff, AIG!

I've loved video game golf through the years. Which do you prefer or are they both good enough and different enough to own?
Top Golf Pro Putt or Walkabout Mini Golf

Took Star Wars off the list. Thanks.

Replaced Creed with Thrill of the Fight.

Added to my list:
In Death Unchained
Pistol Whip

Thank you so much!
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:35 pm
Great stuff, AIG!

I've loved video game golf through the years. Which do you prefer or are they both good enough and different enough to own?
Top Golf Pro Putt or Walkabout Mini Golf

Took Star Wars off the list. Thanks.

Replaced Creed with Thrill of the Fight.

Added to my list:
In Death Unchained
Pistol Whip

Thank you so much!
Top Golf Pro Putt includes 5 or so courses where you play each hole putting. It also includes Top Golf with the bays which is a ton of fun with friends. It lets you use all of the clubs. It even has a giant HD display where you can stream any YouTube Music Videos while you enjoy Top Golf, plus cornhole and a few other social games you can play in VR with your friends.

Walkabout Mini Golf is straight up mini golf. Lots of fantasy courses (islands, etc.). If you love mini golf, it's better for mini golf, obviously. Top Golf gives you more content and more to do.

Also, happy belated birthday!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thanks, AIG!
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I had meant to get into this thread a while ago, but kept forgetting about it.

I decided to have a high performance PC built about six months ago when it was clear that I wouldn't be spending the money I usually do to travel home for a couple of weeks in August. I came away with this..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
MSI B450M Mortar Max
DDR4 32GB 3200Mhz
Nvidia RTX 2060 Super 8GB
500GB SSD
Seagate 2TB HDD

Until Cyberpunk 2077 released, I wasn't really trying to get much out of it as I typically play some pretty low spec PC games, and I never do any online multiplayer stuff as I still use a controller for FPS games. I also have the PC connected to my TV because everything I watch comes off of the internet anyway, so no high-end gaming monitor (yet?).

PUBG is probably my favorite game all-time, but I don't really play it anymore because my OG XBOX one can't run it well even with an SSD and the PC player base is littered with cheaters, especially in Asia. I'm barely even average at the game, but I just love the pace and tactics.

I usually stick to one game for 2-3 weeks and then switch to something else, only rarely will I mix in something new. The last year has been a mix of PUBG (console), Cities Skylines, Civilization V, Assassins' Creed (console), FIFA20, NCAA14 (RPCS3 emulator) and Cyberpunk. I'd love to play NBA2K, but apparently they've totally butchered MyGM, which is the mode I've always enjoyed the most. I have no interest in the MyPlayer grind or pay to win, nor it's toxic community.

I'd like to get into VR but the start-up cost is pricy. I had a blast trying it out some years back at AIG's place.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:19 pm
I had meant to get into this thread a while ago, but kept forgetting about it.

I decided to have a high performance PC built about six months ago when it was clear that I wouldn't be spending the money I usually do to travel home for a couple of weeks in August. I came away with this..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
MSI B450M Mortar Max
DDR4 32GB 3200Mhz
Nvidia RTX 2060 Super 8GB
500GB SSD
Seagate 2TB HDD

Until Cyberpunk 2077 released, I wasn't really trying to get much out of it as I typically play some pretty low spec PC games, and I never do any online multiplayer stuff as I still use a controller for FPS games. I also have the PC connected to my TV because everything I watch comes off of the internet anyway, so no high-end gaming monitor (yet?).

PUBG is probably my favorite game all-time, but I don't really play it anymore because my OG XBOX one can't run it well even with an SSD and the PC player base is littered with cheaters, especially in Asia. I'm barely even average at the game, but I just love the pace and tactics.

I usually stick to one game for 2-3 weeks and then switch to something else, only rarely will I mix in something new. The last year has been a mix of PUBG (console), Cities Skylines, Civilization V, Assassins' Creed (console), FIFA20, NCAA14 (RPCS3 emulator) and Cyberpunk. I'd love to play NBA2K, but apparently they've totally butchered MyGM, which is the mode I've always enjoyed the most. I have no interest in the MyPlayer grind or pay to win, nor it's toxic community.

I'd like to get into VR but the start-up cost is pricy. I had a blast trying it out some years back at AIG's place.
The cost of the games for VR add up but you can get a 64gb Quest 2 for $299.99 US. It's become considerably more affordable these days, thankfully. And the Quest 2 doesn't require base stations or anything. You just draw out your virtual boundaries in the headset wherever you are standing. You played my HTC Vive back in the day which was awesome tech at the time.

If you ever get a Quest 2, I'd love to play online with you. We could have Bone jump in and do a 3 way which would be really cool. Lots of options with golf, etc.

Didn't know you built such a sweet gaming rig! Do you use Discord? We should sync up and play some PC games sometime. I'll put my list of games together a little later.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:57 am
The cost of the games for VR add up but you can get a 64gb Quest 2 for $299.99 US. It's become considerably more affordable these days, thankfully. And the Quest 2 doesn't require base stations or anything. You just draw out your virtual boundaries in the headset wherever you are standing. You played my HTC Vive back in the day which was awesome tech at the time.
The 64GB set is $380 and the 256GB is $510 directly from the Oculus website for me. Import tax and whatnot. Not exactly cheap, but more affordable than the hardware I was looking at on Steam a few months ago. If I decide to pick one up, does the difference in storage have a large impact on my experience? I'm not sure I understand the value there.
Didn't know you built such a sweet gaming rig! Do you use Discord? We should sync up and play some PC games sometime. I'll put my list of games together a little later.
Yeah I know about my PC. I put some time into researching it before hand. There's a Korean-American guy who runs a custom PC/repair shop in Seoul. He offers a wide variety of builds that he puts together himself and allows for the customization of each hardware piece as needed. It ran me about $1300, but I sold my old PC for about $400 so the net cost was around $900 to me.

I occasionally use Discord, but generally don't have much of a reason to lately.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:13 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:57 am
The 64GB set is $380 and the 256GB is $510 directly from the Oculus website for me. Import tax and whatnot. Not exactly cheap, but more affordable than the hardware I was looking at on Steam a few months ago. If I decide to pick one up, does the difference in storage have a large impact on my experience? I'm not sure I understand the value there.
Yeah I know about my PC. I put some time into researching it before hand. There's a Korean-American guy who runs a custom PC/repair shop in Seoul. He offers a wide variety of builds that he puts together himself and allows for the customization of each hardware piece as needed. It ran me about $1300, but I sold my old PC for about $400 so the net cost was around $900 to me.

I occasionally use Discord, but generally don't have much of a reason to lately.
I opted for the 256gb thinking I'd need all of that space. Well, I probably have more games than any of my friends that have a Quest 2 and have used maybe 10% of my storage capacity. The moral of the story: 64gb is plenty. The biggest games, like Contractors (a FPS similar to COD) is 5gb. Most everything else comes in under a gig. Unless you plan to store a bunch of movies on the headset, get a 64gb model. Even with 64gb, you can stream most PCVR experiences from your high end gaming rig (Half Life Alyx, for example, or Microsoft Flight Simulator) and even stream your movie library from your PC if you cared to.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Wait, so I could use the Quest 2 as if it were a Rift S? Obviously with some lower resolution.

Edit: I'm an idiot. I just figured out the answer. I'd have to connect to my PC with the Oculus Link.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

What do you use for audio with a Quest 2?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:49 pm
What do you use for audio with a Quest 2?
I use the built in audio but when I need it louder at night, I sometimes use my wireless bluetooth in ear buds (like inexpensive AirPods). The built in audio isn't that bad and is directional (3D) and the built in mic works really well too.

And yep, you can use it with a PC with better graphical fidelity than the Rift S. It has near 4k per eye resolution. I use Virtual Desktop to stream SteamVR from my desktop too sometimes when I need more space in the living room for VR. Works great wirelessly.

Also, I returned the link cable and got a less expensive one from another brand. I'll find the link. Works exactly the same and was like $20 instead of $70.
Last edited by AmareIsGod on Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:04 pm
I use Virtual Desktop to stream SteamVR from my desktop too sometimes when I need more space in the living room for VR. Works great wirelessly.
So the Oculus Link is only necessary for the really high memory games?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:11 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:04 pm
I use Virtual Desktop to stream SteamVR from my desktop too sometimes when I need more space in the living room for VR. Works great wirelessly.
So the Oculus Link is only necessary for the really high memory games?
Yes, basically.