How many of you still play basketball?

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Captain Marv-el

How many of you still play basketball?

Post by Captain Marv-el »

[*]Did you play back in the day :?:

[*]Do you play now :?:
$HAϟAM

Hiphop Family Treeϟ Roots

Superbone

Re: How man of you All still play basketball?

Post by Superbone »

I've loved basketball all my life. I play five days a week at my lunch break at work. One of the great perks of my job. I'm playing the best basketball of my life and I'm into my second half century. Sure, I'm not as fast and I can't jump as high as I used to but I'm the most skilled at it I've ever been.
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

I'm also a below the rimmer, I play on a pretty regular weekend basis knees permitting.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Zeratul

Post by Zeratul »

I play pick up basketball with youngsters every tuesday for a couple hours. On thursdays we play volley ball which is easier to me (less contact).

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Sadly,I haven't played since I was teenager. Ever since my hoop broke back in high school, I kind of just stop playing. Also I sucked so that didn't help.

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

Only a little now and then, however, same as Sup I've never played as well, I'm using my head more than ever and not rushing anything and it pays off loads.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I play 3 times per week. And I just got my new Goran jersey to rock when I destroy by buddies. Yeah bitches!!! And my soccer home team, Cordoba CF, just got the promotion to La Liga first division in the most bizarre way ever! A goal in the minute 100 after the match was suspended because fans from the other team invaded the pitch! Amazing. More epic than the EPL final! Brutal!!!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Ring_Wanted wrote:I play 3 times per week. And I just got my new Goran jersey to rock when I destroy by buddies. Yeah bitches!!! And my soccer home team, Cordoba CF, just got the promotion to La Liga first division in the most bizarre way ever! A goal in the minute 100 after the match was suspended because fans from the other team invaded the pitch! Amazing. More epic than the EPL final! Brutal!!!
You play with a Goran jersey when you get destroyed or when you destroy?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Xylus

Re: How many of you still play basketball?

Post by Xylus »

I love playing basketball but don't get nearly as much time as I'd like to play anymore. Work schedule is just too heavy at the moment.

Back in my early 20's, I used to attend the UA rec center 6 days a week for 2-3 hours a session and just run 5-on-5's until I couldn't breathe anymore. Those are some of my all-time favorite memories.

I play like a homeless man's Ginobili. Decent shooter, better attacking off the dribble, good rebounder for my size, always one of the quickest guys on the court. I'm not an able or willing passer, though. I have to mentally force myself to remember to pass the ball often so that I don't end up ball-hogging. :lol: I'm just very confident in my ability to score.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Xylus wrote:I'm not an able or willing passer, though. I have to mentally force myself to remember to pass the ball often so that I don't end up ball-hogging. :lol: I'm just very confident in my ability to score.
Kobe approves! Mamba Mentality!

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

Wally_West wrote:
Xylus wrote:I'm not an able or willing passer, though. I have to mentally force myself to remember to pass the ball often so that I don't end up ball-hogging. :lol: I'm just very confident in my ability to score.
Kobe approves! Mamba Mentality!
It's an appropriate comparison, but I'm a much better locker room guy :P

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

I still play every chance I get. When I lived in Vegas, I could get a good run in 5 or 6 days a week, but since I've moved to Salt Lake City, it's tougher to find pick-up games. But I've signed up for a few county leagues, so I still get to run at least 3 or 4 days a week. Our team actually won the SLC County Rec league championship last night!

I'll take it as a sign that the Suns are destined for one soon.

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

havent found a good core to play w/ since i moved back to the valley, but I used to play every day at lunch (well instead of lunch) when I was in the service
~~~~~

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I used to play every day at lunch and then some days in the morning before work along with weekend mornings. If there was a dude that insisted that everyone on the court was there to make sure that he looked good, we would start to refer to him as BH.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Trying to revive this cold case of a thread.
The main thing I wanted to ask was for the guys with limited time to work on their game. I’m 30+ and fall into this category. At most I can play between 1-2 times per week.

What are the most useful resources you have found to help improve?
On youtube I like things such as shotmechanics.com and dreallday.com because they give short clips on this to work on which you can apply fairly quickly.

Quick summary of me: I usually have to play sf or undersized pf. There are just too many guards where I am, so I have to play off the ball. I have terrible handles but can be a good but streaky shooter and have basic post up game.
I really wanted to get better at finishing in the key. Like if I get it off a cut under the free throw line but under pressure and too far to lay up and no decent passing options. Any one got anything on scoring options from that position?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I used to play with a bunch of fellow musicians once or twice a week for a long time, but haven't in probably a decade. I have a pool and a Suns basketball hoop set up on the side of it where I shoot hoops all the time. Not really the same thing, but fun anyway.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:And I just got my new Goran jersey to rock when I destroy by buddies. Yeah bitches!!!
Yeah, that's sad. I hadn't bought a jersey since my Amare 32 jersey and I finally picked up a Dragic jersey late last year that I play in and of course he gets traded at the deadline! :x
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Danimal wrote:What are the most useful resources you have found to help improve?
On youtube I like things such as shotmechanics.com and dreallday.com because they give short clips on this to work on which you can apply fairly quickly.
I haven't really looked for resources but I did catch a cool Dennis Scott segment on NBATV over a year ago about shooting. It seemed to help my shot. I got a little more consistent.
Danimal wrote:I really wanted to get better at finishing in the key. Like if I get it off a cut under the free throw line but under pressure and too far to lay up and no decent passing options. Any one got anything on scoring options from that position?
I'd say work on some pivot moves and some back to the basket moves. Maybe incorporate some ball fakes. Use the backboard from that area.
"Be Legendary."

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Whats the best way to address pg's in pick up games who don't seem to pass other than not getting them the ball? Its becoming more of an issue where I play

Indy

Post by Indy »

Danimal wrote:Whats the best way to address pg's in pick up games who don't seem to pass other than not getting them the ball? Its becoming more of an issue where I play
Depends on how good the pg is.