Tesla

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
AmareIsGod

Re: Tesla

Post by AmareIsGod »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:38 pm
That cargo liner is nice. I am looking for side protection as well though. The plastic sides get trashed when you pile in a bunch of speakers and racks with metal sides.
When do you get your Model Y?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

They say any time between June 20 and July 20. Waiting for that phone call or text….

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Just noticed the date changed to June 20 to June 30 instead of July 20. Awesome.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Monday at Noon I become a Tesla owner. 😎

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:41 am
So exciting! The process of picking it up is very unique and different. You'll have to let me know how it goes!
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:41 am
Checking back Mr. Tesla! Beyond "how was the pickup process?", have you named your Tesla in the app yet and how is he/she?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I got the car and it’s awesome! Trying to catch up on all the little tricks it does. My garage door is Wi-Fi enabled and Tesla connects with it. When I get within a 100 feet of my garage it will automatically open. It will also close after I leave. I synched my iPhone and Apple Music with it.

The pick up process was a little strange. I waited in a waiting room until a girl got me and we went over the paperwork at a desk. I signed a bunch of documents and she hand me my credit card keys, says I can go check out my Tesla and points to the door. I walked around and found my car pretty quick. It was locked and it was hot out. I wasn’t sure what I was supposed to be doing. I figured she would come out and show me the car. I decided to whip out my Tesl app and see if anything had been activated and sure enough it was saying activate key. My app synched with the car and it opened so I got in. She then came out to check on me and told me I’m all done and can go. I took a few minutes to familiarize myself with the car and took off. I didn’t want to play around with things too much while driving and get into an accident on the way home so I just drove. I of course pushed the pedal to the floor once just to see what happens. Damn! I did mess around some at red lights and found the chill setting that mellows out the performance. I made it home and realized I left ny garage door opener on my trade in Volt and turned around and went back.

My garage smells like new car. You don’t get that smell often enough in life and I have been going into the garage just to smell the new car. LOL I love the setting like dog setting that keeps the car cool while you are out of the car running an errand and don’t want the dogs to die in the AZ heat. There are laws about keeping pets in cars unattended because they can die in the heat. I wonder what the law says about a Tesla with dogs unattended set at 75 degrees.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:33 pm
Very nice! The only thing I've done with ours is tint the windows. Appreciate reading your previous post with all of the fun details. I love the new car smell too. Not something you get to enjoy much in life.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:33 pm
How are things a week in? Are you planning any road trips to test out the charging network infrastructure?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

No big trips planned. Thinking about going to Vegas. Been across town a couple of times. Been charging to 80%. My steady Tuesday gig is a 116 mile round trip. I drive freeway miles most the way and have the AC cranked along with the stereo. I’m guessing 250 display miles =200 real life miles.

Been reading about how they used to give out supercharger credits to new customers. I heard they then changed it to 1000 free charging kWh to new customers. I guess they have eliminated it altogether for new customers. Foiled again!

Switched over to the EV charging price plan and programmed all the rates and times into the app. I have it set to charge 11pm-5am. I clean the pool and start the dishwasher then as well.

I have enjoyed the car very much. I love new tech. I quickly found the eq section and cranked up the sub woofer. It’s a six band eq so you can dial it in nicely. Do you pay for the monthly data connection charge? I have gotten used to the two cruise control modes. I love how it slows down automatically if you catch up to a car in front of you. You pick your comfortable follow distance easily and if they move over, your car speeds back up to its original speed. Engage cruise twice and it keeps the car between the lines as well. A sound dings at a traffic light when the light turns green to alert you just in case you are daydreaming.

I got my cargo area protection yesterday and installed it. Hopefully it keeps the back from getting trash when I pile a bunch of gear into it.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I have been traveling a lot this summer visiting friends, family and going to concerts. On one of the trips I flew to Ohio and was picked up by my buddy who has a Tesla model 3. It was a long trip and he needed to stop for a charge at 20%. I haven’t used a super charger yet so I was curious. It was at a grocery store mini mall parking lot. He backed it in, plugged it in and we went into a sub shop to eat right next door while it charged. Before we could eat our food his app told him his car was fully charged. It couldn’t have been any longer than 20 minutes. That was impressive.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Car makers are like politicians. They exaggerate. I am pretty sure most car manufacturers paint as rosy a picture of their fuel economy as possible and fudge the numbers and apparently Tesla is at the top of the list in fudging economy numbers. I charge for local driving to 80% and it displays a 260 range. Every Tuesday I drive 60 miles to the same gig, which is a 120 mile round trip. 260-120=140. My range when arriving home is about 90 miles, about 50 miles short of the estimate. I drive freeway most of the way and higher speeds lower mileage and of course summer in Phoenix means I have the AC cranked, which lowers mileage. Car mileage estimates must be based on going 45mph with the AC off downhill. 😎

Tesla created secret team to suppress thousands of driving range complaints
https://www.reuters.com/investigates/sp ... ies-range/
About a decade ago, Tesla rigged the dashboard readouts in its electric cars to provide “rosy” projections of how far owners can drive before needing to recharge, a source told Reuters. The automaker last year became so inundated with driving-range complaints that it created a special team to cancel owners’ service appointments.

Last summer, the company quietly created a “Diversion Team” in Las Vegas to cancel as many range-related appointments as possible.

One of the experts, Gregory Pannone, co-authored a study of 21 different brands of electric vehicles, published in April by SAE International, an engineering organization. The research found that, on average, the cars fell short of their advertised ranges by 12.5% in highway driving.

The study did not name the brands tested, but Pannone told Reuters that three Tesla models posted the worst performance, falling short of their advertised ranges by an average of 26%.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

People I know that have found out I own a Tesla always come up offering me information about how they heard Tesla’s blow up or catch fire. Their weight makes the tires only last 10k miles. They are getting into crashes. You can’t drive across the country in them. The heat makes the batteries not work and they just die on the road. They don’t work in the cold.

Ok, thank you. So far mine hasn’t caught on fire. I’ll let you know if the tires are bald at 10k. I think most of the crashes are from people paying the extra 15k for the full self driving capability which I am not planning on doing because it sounds scary. The regular cruise control is a lot better than any car I have ever driven. People do drive across the country in them. Maybe the heat affects the battery. I am driving across town regularly in Phoenix during the worst summer ever and it seems to be working. I haven’t driven in the cold yet but I heard it does affect the battery.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:36 am
People I know that have found out I own a Tesla always come up offering me information about how they heard Tesla’s blow up or catch fire. Their weight makes the tires only last 10k miles. They are getting into crashes. You can’t drive across the country in them. The heat makes the batteries not work and they just die on the road. They don’t work in the cold.

Ok, thank you. So far mine hasn’t caught on fire. I’ll let you know if the tires are bald at 10k. I think most of the crashes are from people paying the extra 15k for the full self driving capability which I am not planning on doing because it sounds scary. The regular cruise control is a lot better than any car I have ever driven. People do drive across the country in them. Maybe the heat affects the battery. I am driving across town regularly in Phoenix during the worst summer ever and it seems to be working. I haven’t driven in the cold yet but I heard it does affect the battery.
You need new acquaintances, 'Dack!
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I wonder if the tires going so quickly also involves using the advanced acceleration and the stress that produces on the rubber?

If you like your Tesla, who cares what other people think?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Good point.

My Volt was driven by one wheel and that tire definitely wore faster than the others. If you gunned it it would break traction and burn some rubber. The Tesla I have has two motors and seems to be all wheel drive. As fast as it is it won’t break traction gunning it from a stand still. Not that I drive crazy. I have stepped on it a few times just to test it out because I am a guy and all.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

I just want one for the self driving function…. Had to give up driving about 9 years ago and knowing we’re so close to a self driving function is exciting for this guy 😉

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Kryptonic wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:14 pm
I just want one for the self driving function…. Had to give up driving about 9 years ago and knowing we’re so close to a self driving function is exciting for this guy 😉
Why did you have to give up driving?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Between bad genes and a quad wreck I have several disc levels through my back that are either bulging, or herniated; not to mention narrowing of my spinal canal that causes a great deal of pain. I’ve had several surgeries, injections, and almost every naturalpathic method of pain management to no avail. I’m either in too much pain to drive or too under the influence to drive.