Video Games

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
AmareIsGod

Re: Video Games

Post by AmareIsGod »

Mori Chu wrote:Side note: I bought this little $99 console called the Ouya last week, and I -LOOOOOOVE- it. It isn't as powerful or impressive as an Xbox or PS4, but it has a lot of little retro / indie games that are either free or cost only a few bucks. I am overjoyed to play all these simple little cute games with pixely graphics or indie games that are creative and different from anything on the big consoles. Also, the thing makes a great emulator machine and can play videos on your TV through Twitch.tv, Youtube, XBMC, and other apps. I really like it and think it is certainly worth my $99 purchase so far.
Been looking to get one of these. It's an Android box designed for gaming. Has a cool controller and bluetooth connectivity for other controllers. I have a sweet Android tablet and high end phone but neither have proper HDMI out (without using an adapter cable) and needs your phone charger if you go that route. Just a hassle overall for TV gaming from either device. If you already have an Android device, all of your apps / games are synced across your Google account which means I'd be playing a bunch of sweet games out of the gate on the Ouya that I've used on my phone or tablet. Did you pick one up at a store? I haven't been store shopping in awhile so I don't know that's kept at Best Buy, etc. Been using Amazon Prime lately but might run to a store and pick one up. Also, what comes with it for $99? Just the device or a controller as well?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I ordered it for $99 on Amazon. It came with the console itself, one wireless controller, two AA batteries, and an hdmi cable. Only things I wanted on top of that were another controller for multiplayer (I used a wired xbox 360 pad) and a usb stick to store some emulator ROMs. It is lots of fun.

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

Mori Chu wrote:I ordered it for $99 on Amazon. It came with the console itself, one wireless controller, two AA batteries, and an hdmi cable. Only things I wanted on top of that were another controller for multiplayer (I used a wired xbox 360 pad) and a usb stick to store some emulator ROMs. It is lots of fun.
so your the one dude who bought the Ouya, what drew you to it , Atari 2600 library?

your are the 1st person I know of who actually bought one in real life btw
~~~~~

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Oh snap.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Sometimes I still play my PS 2. So many good memories with that thing.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Wally_West wrote:Sometimes I still play my PS 2. So many good memories with that thing.
Same here. In our game room I actually have all of these systems hooked up and ready to play:

Intellivision (with voice box and Atari 2600 box)
NES
SNES
N64
GameCube
Wii
PS1
PS2
PS3
PS4
XBOX
XBOX360

I know, I know... No Sega stuff. I never owned one growing up. I would get the Nintendo stuff and my best friend/next door neighbor would get the Sega stuff.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wally_West wrote:Sometimes I still play my PS 2. So many good memories with that thing.
Same here. In our game room I actually have all of these systems hooked up and ready to play:

Intellivision (with voice box and Atari 2600 box)
NES
SNES
N64
GameCube
Wii
PS1
PS2
PS3
PS4
XBOX
XBOX360

I know, I know... No Sega stuff. I never owned one growing up. I would get the Nintendo stuff and my best friend/next door neighbor would get the Sega stuff.
Man, you must have one hell of a switch box. I loved the Genesis growing up.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Under my TV right now I have a Wii U, an Xbox 360, the Ouya, a PS2, and a GameCube. The emulators give me NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, etc.

I also own a 3DS. If you guys have one, you must try Zelda A Link Between Worlds. It is phenomenal.

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

Mori Chu wrote:Under my TV right now I have a Wii U, an Xbox 360, the Ouya, a PS2, and a GameCube. The emulators give me NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, etc.

I also own a 3DS. If you guys have one, you must try Zelda A Link Between Worlds. It is phenomenal.
the new 3ds Zelda game is fantastic, perfect sequel to the old SNES Zelda game, we have multiples 3DS's and DS's, GBA's PS Vita.

under my TV I have a PS3, PS4, Xbox360, Wii, Wii U... Kids each have a Wii in their rooms, in the bedroom we have a PS3, Xbox 360 and just bought a second PS4 (white Destiny bundle, so me and the wife can co-op), and at my desk I have two Alienware gaming computers, one desktop and one latptop with around 500 games (Steam/Origin/Emulators etc)

used to have Xbox, PS2, PS1, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, Gameboy (Color) but w/ moves and upgrading to the newer systems (and roms/emulators) those have gone to the garage sale/trade in at gamestop route.. never was a Sega guy.

also, if you havea PS4, get a Vita, the remote play thing is amazing
~~~~~

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Mori Chu wrote:Under my TV right now I have a Wii U, an Xbox 360, the Ouya, a PS2, and a GameCube. The emulators give me NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, etc.

Perfect segue from link to the past, might be my favorite Zelda of all time (with ocarina being my other).

carey

Post by carey »

Don't judge but I just recently played a link to the past again & was thinking about getting the boys a 3DS for Christmas just so I could play that....
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

carey wrote:Don't judge but I just recently played a link to the past again & was thinking about getting the boys a 3DS for Christmas just so I could play that....
no judging, I still play Pokemon, only difference is now I can play it w/ my kids ;)

review from IGN
~~~~~

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Mori Chu wrote:The Zoe Quinn GamerGate thing is really a shame. Quinn might have done some inappropriate things to raise publicity for her game. But she doesn't deserve to be threatened and harassed online because of it. Really frightening what people are willing to say and do online behind a veil of anonymity.
Looks like the threats may have been . . . exaggerated? Or at least, not reported.

http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=229406

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/quinnspiracy/

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

BTW, there's nothing like playing a 1991 DOS game on a 2014 Windows 7 PC. :D About 2/3rds of the way through the AD&D Dragonlance games.

SDC

Post by SDC »

XMen Next Dimension (PS2, 2002) is better than any of the CACPOM xmen fighting games.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Dan H wrote:BTW, there's nothing like playing a 1991 DOS game on a 2014 Windows 7 PC. :D About 2/3rds of the way through the AD&D Dragonlance games.
This was a while back, but I played through the old school "Wasteland" a few years ago. Good ol 1980s graphics...absolutely no drain on the processor, the game ran faster than I could keep up with if I was resting (with a weight on the space bar, of course). It was so fun. Dragonlance sounds like a good one to try again.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Wasteland 2 comes out in 2 weeks! 8-)

carey

Post by carey »

Dan H wrote:BTW, there's nothing like playing a 1991 DOS game on a 2014 Windows 7 PC. :D About 2/3rds of the way through the AD&D Dragonlance games.
Were those based on the Chronicles books? I have a soft place for those, they were the first fantasy books I read as a kid. I read the first 3, then the test of the twins that followed, and the stand alone Raistlin book, and then the War of Souls after that. I've read hundreds of fantasy novels and series since then but those always stuck with me for some reason. I bought the first 6 in hardcover just to give to my kids when they are old enough to read.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

They run concurrently. You encounter the characters throughout the game. Tanis, Caramon, and Tasslehoff in the first one. In the second one you run into Kitiara, Laurana, and rescue Sturm's body from Lord Soth and the Death Knights. In the third one you rescue Raistlin from the Abyss.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I installed ScummVM on my Ouya and have been replaying through Day of the Tentacle (CD) on it. Man, what a great old DOS adventure game. Love it. Going to do Sam & Max Hit the Road next.