Fallout from the negative "Free Agency" thread drama

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
virtual9mm

Re: Fallout from the negative "Free Agency" thread drama

Post by virtual9mm »

Without having taken the time to read through everything in detail, I can only suggest my thought that Mori has taken the proper course of action, assuming that he and the other mods vetted the entire exchange.

Regarding Swingy -- we all love him and we also know that he's prone to an outburst every couple of years -- and we'll all still love him afterwards. Might I suggest that the suspension be temporary?

Regarding Aztec -- I'd hate to see you leave.

Like UODucks4Life has said, let's move on.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'm pretty sure preemptive strikes isn't part of the Golden Rule. The bottom line is that people can have disagreements but try not to make it personal. Nobody is perfect of course and we all slip up at times but it shouldn't be a constant. It makes it no fun to visit this site which is supposed to be about a game and team we all love.

Let's move on and keep this as our sanctuary to talk Phoenix Suns basketball.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Xylus wrote:As a bystander to all this, I really only have one thought:

This is a Phoenix Suns forum and no one (outside of those involved) gives a shit about these personal beefs. Keep your garbage confined to private messages and stop littering the place with these attacks on one another. If you have a messy history with another poster, ignore that poster. There are no winners here. If you think you came out on top because you out-insulted another member, it's only because you've lowered the ceiling.

Good golly.
+1

Can we lock this and move on already?
Locking things just confines the issue and stifles the spirit of discussion. Don't agree.

Haven't agreed with any of this.

Still don't agree with any of this.

Aztec, I also have decided to post only in the General area for the time being. You are welcome to join us there. Maybe even get an "off topic/general" basketball discussion going for those who can no longer comment otherwise.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

What is all this? Here is my take...

I don't come to .net for any specific poster. I enjoy the insight some posters give and the news being reported. Most of all I enjoy being happy and celebrating a team I have followed for 20+ years. Not being anywhere close to Phoenix, it helps bridge the gap from the news I am missing.

The whole "I'm not posting here anymore" bit is so chessy. What kind of therat is that? The only person its hurting is yourself if you want to post. I have gone months without posting here before and I'm sure others do as well and its not due to any "incident" with another poster. Its not going to change how a person is or how the world of message board posting is. Every person is wired differently. That being said Mori started this site, I'm thankful he did so he ultimately has the final say. Not everyone has to get along though...unless it results in someone purposely highjacking a thread after thread.
Last edited by Sunsfan4life on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

While we're on the subject of specific posters....

I have been on .net since 2003. Besides Cubby, Personally The only poster I completely did not care for was that Misterradiant guy. It wasn't anything personal, but for some reason he seemed to be liked here by people, because I think you guys meet him personally and liked him. That's fine, maybe he is a good guy but he did not come off that way on the board. I never had a run in with him, but he always posted random poems that had nothing to do with anything,more of a personal message thing, updated us on his personally life by creating threads and had very little input on suns basketball and just took runs at people with no substance backing it up.

Still, whatever I just ignored him and went about my business as I think a lot of people did. I didn't understand why it was alright for him to create topic after topic about a poem about like...autumn or motorcycles in the main form... have like 2 people reply and then someone create a topic about something suns related and someone jump on them saying "not thread worthy" lol. But whatever, obviously he was boys with some of the higher ups of the site. I didn't lose sleep over it, but I get more annoyed with crap like that then 2 posters arguing. Everyone will have an opinion.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Sunsfan4life wrote:While we're on the subject of specific posters....

I have been on .net since 2003. Besides Cubby, Personally The only poster I completely did not care for was that Misterradiant guy. It wasn't anything personal, but for some reason he seemed to be liked here by people, because I think you guys meet him personally and liked him. That's fine, maybe he is a good guy but he did not come off that way on the board. I never had a run in with him, but he always posted random poems that had nothing to do with anything,more of a personal message thing, updated us on his personally life by creating threads and had very little input on suns basketball and just took runs at people with no substance backing it up.

Still, whatever I just ignored him and went about my business as I think a lot of people did. I didn't understand why it was alright for him to create topic after topic about a poem about like...autumn or motorcycles in the main form... have like 2 people reply and then someone create a topic about something suns related and someone jump on them saying "not thread worthy" lol. But whatever, obviously he was boys with some of the higher ups of the site. I didn't lose sleep over it, but I get more annoyed with crap like that then 2 posters arguing. Everyone will have an opinion.
He was buddies with Sose the phxsuns.net creator. That explains that.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

As far as carey is concerned, yes he was no saint and he responded in kind but I also see posters saying he abused his mod "powers". How so? I can confirm looking at the mod logs that he didn't delete any posts like he was accused of.

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Sunsfan4life wrote:While we're on the subject of specific posters....

He was buddies with Sose the phxsuns.net creator. That explains that.
The old .net was a much larger community, and especially so during the peak Nash-era. I think it's much easier to upset the apple cart here with a smaller group, and of course some long term reputations have come into play.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

Superbone wrote:As far as carey is concerned, yes he was no saint and he responded in kind but I also see posters saying he abused his mod "powers". How so? I can confirm looking at the mod logs that he didn't delete any posts like he was accused of.
It really depends on how the administrator outlines moderator responsibilities. For some forums, keeping the peace by setting a good behavioral example is a primary responsibility. Mori might feel that carey is within his rights to engage in arguments like these, I'm not sure. I haven't studied the altercation as closely as the staff has so I'm not going to question Mori's call. If he feels like banning Swingman was ultimately the right decision, I've got no problem with it. This is Mori's joint, not mine. :P

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

I take issue with people defenestrating themselves from this forum because they don't agree with a single decision made by the administrator. This is an issue I can see being resolved fairly quickly, rather than a lifetime ban. Swingman's access to the Suns' forum has been revoked, but he still has the opportunity here to speak his mind about the punishment. I'm sure Mori and the rest of the staff will continue to review what steps to take with carey, whether that means some sort of punishment, a stern talking-to, or nothing at all. I don't see the point in this kind of civil disobedience, because it only hurts the whole community and probably won't alter the decision made.

No one's been permanently banned, so make yourself heard! No one is being denied that ability. There are individual conflicts here and there, but the community at large wishes for no one to leave. So say we all.

Cap

Post by Cap »

virtual9mm wrote: Regarding Swingy -- we all love him and we also know that he's prone to an outburst every couple of years -- and we'll all still love him afterwards. Might I suggest that the suspension be temporary?
+1

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Xylus wrote:
Superbone wrote:As far as carey is concerned, yes he was no saint and he responded in kind but I also see posters saying he abused his mod "powers". How so? I can confirm looking at the mod logs that he didn't delete any posts like he was accused of.
It really depends on how the administrator outlines moderator responsibilities. For some forums, keeping the peace by setting a good behavioral example is a primary responsibility. Mori might feel that carey is within his rights to engage in arguments like these, I'm not sure. I haven't studied the altercation as closely as the staff has so I'm not going to question Mori's call. If he feels like banning Swingman was ultimately the right decision, I've got no problem with it. This is Mori's joint, not mine. :P
This has been my opinion as well. Mods absolutely set the standard and precedent.

Either we all should retain personal individuality and freedom of expression, or we should all attempt to remain civil and engage in polite debates at all times, and therefore all be held to the same standard. Anything less is hypocritical, *especially* coming from the mods.

I think the post was just missed in the heat of the moment, not deleted, although it could have been edited. I think that part was an honest and true misunderstanding from Swing, but is pretty irrelevent as the meltdown and arguments were well underway when this part happened, and is now just serving as a distraction from the core issue of "who threw the first punch." For that matter, has this been defined officially as an "altercation" ? :D

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Xylus wrote:No one's been permanently banned, so make yourself heard! No one is being denied that ability. There are individual conflicts here and there, but the community at large wishes for no one to leave. So say we all.
So say we all!

"Be Legendary."

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Xylus wrote:I take issue with people defenestrating themselves from this forum because they don't agree with a single decision made by the administrator. This is an issue I can see being resolved fairly quickly, rather than a lifetime ban. Swingman's access to the Suns' forum has been revoked, but he still has the opportunity here to speak his mind about the punishment. I'm sure Mori and the rest of the staff will continue to review what steps to take with carey, whether that means some sort of punishment, a stern talking-to, or nothing at all. I don't see the point in this kind of civil disobedience, because it only hurts the whole community and probably won't alter the decision made.

No one's been permanently banned, so make yourself heard! No one is being denied that ability. There are individual conflicts here and there, but the community at large wishes for no one to leave. So say we all.
Xylus, it was carey that demanded the ultimatum of Swing being banned or he was removing himself from the site, gaining the sympathies of many who do not know the whole situation, and just know of all the awesome Suns related content that carey *does* bring to the site.... but now on the other side of the fence we are losing Swing's input completely. Why is one more valuable then the other, when they both bring us Suns information, and both can react harshly and colorfully against other posters? What is the difference?

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Superbone wrote:
Xylus wrote:No one's been permanently banned, so make yourself heard! No one is being denied that ability. There are individual conflicts here and there, but the community at large wishes for no one to leave. So say we all.
So say we all!
I have been saying that since it was going on in real time.... no one wants anyone to leave, but if anyone chooses to leave, it should be on them..... not forced bans from within the community. :P

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Superbone wrote:
So say we all!
I have been saying that since it was going on in real time.... no one wants anyone to leave, but if anyone chooses to leave, it should be on them..... not forced bans from within the community. :P

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Phoenix219 wrote: This has been my opinion as well. Mods absolutely set the standard and precedent.

Either we all should retain personal individuality and freedom of expression, or we should all attempt to remain civil and engage in polite debates at all times, and therefore all be held to the same standard. Anything less is hypocritical, *especially* coming from the mods.
I wasn't arguing that point. I totally agree but it should be the latter (bolded).

"Be Legendary."

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

So we agree that no one should leave.

Alright then. :D

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Superbone wrote:
Phoenix219 wrote: This has been my opinion as well. Mods absolutely set the standard and precedent.

I wasn't arguing that point. I totally agree but it should be the latter (bolded).
I have no problems with either one, as long as its consistant, and I just don't see the consistancy at this moment in time.

And yes Xylus, I would like to think thats we could all agree on that one. We'll see how this goes.

Cap

Post by Cap »

I didn't read the whole argument, but I'm getting the impression that there's something of a double standard if SM is banned while Carey doesn't get so much as a formal reprimand.