Spam

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Nodack

Re: Spam

Post by Nodack »

It was a charity for battered women called Fresh Start. They spent a ton but, there is an auction with very wealthy people spending all kinds of money towards the cause. I imagine they get a nice tax break and a fun night.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Lookin good. How much would a band like that cost for the night? I'm just curious about it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I don’t know what the band was paid. I only know what I was paid. We were a 25 piece, 26 if you count sound guy mixing. I can guess just the band was around $11k-12k range. We only used our PA for mixing and monitors. They had sound company that did all the main sound and we just handed them a L, R and Sub bass line that they turn up or down. Then a separate lighting company for the lights. A ton of flowers everywhere from a florist.

We go out as small as a six piece made up of the core players. That of course is much cheaper. Actually that night was a double booked band. There are some other players that sub or just play with us when needed. We had two gigs and the leader put together another band for a wedding made up of subs and they did well at the same time we were playing. That is kind or rare but happens. I play a duo every Tuesday on the West side going on three years straight.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

So my guess is that the person probably paid around $25K for the night, just for the music. Pretty decent.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It was a fund raiser for a good cause (battered women). I think some of the vendors do it at a reduced rate. The leader of our band has a real job where he does advertising for various companies like BMW and drug companies. He made the video presentation for the event for free. Now I am starting to feel guilty I was paid.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:56 am
It was a fund raiser for a good cause (battered women). I think some of the vendors do it at a reduced rate. The leader of our band has a real job where he does advertising for various companies like BMW and drug companies. He made the video presentation for the event for free. Now I am starting to feel guilty I was paid.
Don't feel bad, you need to make a living and you performed a service of entertaining the big donors. So in a way, you helped them get more money.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That's awesome, Nodack! You guys are really rocking out to ABBA there.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Thanks. One of these years someone here is going to come to a gig. I do over 200 gigs a year. Cap saw me at a wedding about 30+ years ago in a so so band.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:46 am
Thanks. One of these years someone here is going to come to a gig. I do over 200 gigs a year. Cap saw me at a wedding about 30+ years ago in a so so band.
I'm going to check you out for sure man after I move. Getting closer. Just signed with a realtor.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Awesome!

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Sway

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

What's with the Stepford wives? :lol:
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In years past they auctioned off different things for people to bid on. I think some famous designer made those dresses this year and they were bidding on them. There was an outdoor fashion show right before they came in to the ballroom. The models all took positions at different places on the dance floor as people streamed into the room from outside. I think that was their last look at the dresses before they started bidding on them. I am not sure if there was several different lines of dresses that they bid on or just these one of a kind ones. Models always have that blank look when they are modeling.