PC Games recommendations

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Superbone

PC Games recommendations

Post by Superbone »

I've been a lifelong gamer. Started out playing PC games (Apple IIe) but made a switch to console games in the Genesis days and haven't looked back. I bought a nice new Dell computer earlier this year and realized recently I'd like to try one of the best of the best of current PC games.

A little background about my gaming preferences... First game ever on the Apple IIe was Wizardry and I loved it! After that, I really enjoyed the Ultima games through Ultima V. I also really dug Diablo later on.

I've always been a big action/adventure gaming fan. Some of my other all-time favorite games on any platform include Zelda Ocarina of Time, MGS (Playstation I), Mario 64, and Tomb Raider.

Is there anything out right now that would take me back to my roots that is similar to a Wizardry/Ultima/Diablo type experience? I don't want to relive it but would love a state of the art similar experience.

I'd be grateful for any recommendations!
"Be Legendary."

Charlie Smithy!

Re: PC Games recommendations

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Wasteland 2 is something I'm very much looking forward to. The setting is different, but it's a similar RPG to the ones you cite.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Diablo 3 is quite fun, you could probably jump right in seeing as you have played the series before.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thanks guys, I'll have to check those out.

In my searches on Steam and the internet last night I came upon a couple games that appeal to me: Broken Age and The Swapper. Broken Age is a 2D graphic adventure by the legendary adventure game maker, Tim Schafer. (Yeah, I'm old school.) And The Swapper is an atmospheric, sci-fi puzzle platformer set in the outer reaches of space.
"Be Legendary."

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

the swapper is a really neat indy game, but you might get tired of it after a while, but definitely worth playing,

I've got over 400 games in my Steam library, so if its good and on Steam i've probably played it/own it.

for RPG's..
Bastion is very good rpg in semi' diablo style (top down view etc)

obviously any Elder Scrolls game (Skyrim, Oblivion), Kingdoms of Amalur is pretty fun (made my Curt Schilling also)

if you want Diablo but not Diablo, play Torchlight 2, its amazing

The Witcher (1 &2) are both great.

platformers I'd recommend, Battleblock Theater, Giana Sisters twisted dreams, Trine2,

Puzzle,
Portal (1&2) if by some chance you have not played these, play them now, like right now.. why are you still reading this, go play Portal.

Anitchamber is neat, so is Quantum Conundrum
The Stanley Parable is really fun.

speaking of Tim Schafer, Psychonauts is on Steam, so is Brutal Legend.

for action/adventure games...
Batman, Assassins Creed, Far Cry, Darksiders, Max Payne, Transformers (not the movie ones), Metal Gear Rising Revengance (amazing game),

but out of all of those the one game I'd recommend above all others, Borderlands 2.
~~~~~

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thanks, Doc. Great info there.
"Be Legendary."

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

Superbone wrote:Thanks, Doc. Great info there.
np,

forgot to mention, if you have or get Borderlands 2, download Gibbed for Borderlands 2, its a save editor, ... so say since BL2 is an RPG raid FPS game and you don't feel like grinding a specific enemy for a legendary drop over and over until you get it, like say you want the Confrence Call shotgun, which is dropped (sometimes) by the end game boss "The Warrior", ... with Gibbed you can just drop it in your save file w/ the mods on it you want rather then maybe getting or maybe getting the wrong mod on it for your play style
~~~~~

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

oh also forgot to mention, for NBA 2k14, I have a mod that puts the 92 suns in the game, if you are interested.
~~~~~

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

For PC 2k14 and have an association save with almost everything up to date. Right now it's missing salaries from this offseason and some rookies. Soon I'll also edit the rookie roster with at least the basic info from the 2015 class so in a year your 1st overall pick is not 'Magnus Larsson', and if I feel like it I'll update coaches too, but I need to find a good editor first. If anyone wants to give it a try, just let me know.

By the way, I've read that 2k15 is bringing some big improvements to the association mode.

Charlie Smithy!

DrSublime wrote:oh also forgot to mention, for NBA 2k14, I have a mod that puts the 92 suns in the game, if you are interested.
Hey sub,

Do ya know if anyone ever modded the 93 Barkley suns into any pc version of 2k?

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
DrSublime wrote:oh also forgot to mention, for NBA 2k14, I have a mod that puts the 92 suns in the game, if you are interested.
Hey sub,

Do ya know if anyone ever modded the 93 Barkley suns into any pc version of 2k?
i typed wrong, i meant i have the 92-93 suns team

~~~~~

Charlie Smithy!

Nice! Though I coulda sworn KJ sorta had the goatee thing goin on back in the day haha.

Imagine his face in particular is kinda difficult to nail down.

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:Nice! Though I coulda sworn KJ sorta had the goatee thing goin on back in the day haha.

Imagine his face in particular is kinda difficult to nail down.
I didnt make these faces, they are just pulled off the "disk", the 92-93 Suns were supposed to be a all time team, Barkley didnt sign off so they didnt make it, but they were already made, and you can hack them into the game fairly easily

better look at Barkley

KJ is the only one that looks really off, and there are two versions of his face you can pull off the "disk", which is weird. The one above is the KJ from the 92-93 set though.
~~~~~