Streaming TV

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Superbone

Streaming TV

Post by Superbone »

I was going to make a comment in the TV Shows thread but this isn't about the shows but the TV services.

I have subscribed to DirecTV satellite for the last 25+ years. The main reason was it was the only way to get ALL Suns games including local broadcasts due to blackouts since I was out of Arizona. My quality at the end was horrible. Probably needed a new box. It was freezing, skipping, you name it. I finally ended my relationship with them at the end of last month.

So, I finally joined the 21st century about a week ago when I subscribed to YouTube TV. I will still need a two service solution as they don't carry the local Suns station which is the same as the local Jeopardy station. For this I will need an OTA antennae and a DVR service. Probably TiVo.

Anyway, YouTube TV is a whole new experience and a little overwhelming. It used to be easy to track what I recorded. There was a list from newest to oldest. Now it's like a firehose. It's hard to see what I have. Any tips would be appreciated.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Re: Streaming TV

Post by Mori Chu »

I had DirecTV for a few years, up until about 4 years ago. I had really liked DirecTV in the past, in the old days. But the more recent service I got from about 8-4 years ago was much worse. It was just slow, it took forever to change channels, it had outages, it didn't always work well. And I had problems getting premium channels, League Pass, etc. I remember we'd try to buy a program On Demand and we wouldn't even be able to watch it but we'd still get billed. And some content would inexplicably get stuck in SD (non-HD) resolution. And lots of problems with the box and service overall. I was really bummed out about this since I had liked them so much and wanted to support them as a company.

We switched back to Comcast / Xfinity. They aren't great, but the service mostly works fine and rarely has outages. We get good internet service at fast speeds, and the streaming and On Demand stuff almost always works just fine. The box and menuing are kind of slow and shitty, but they all seem that way these days other than boutique stuff like Tivo boxes or new Fire sticks.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Was going to recommend Sling but it looks like YoutubeTV is pretty comparable. Not sure what the YT experience is like but Sling is really easy to use and you can add or cancel different channel packages month by month. You won't get CBS or ABC so you'll still need an antennae for those.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 5:56 pm
Was going to recommend Sling but it looks like YoutubeTV is pretty comparable. Not sure what the YT experience is like but Sling is really easy to use and you can add or cancel different channel packages month by month. You won't get CBS or ABC so you'll still need an antennae for those.
The cool thing is YT has all of the big locals. ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox. Just doesn't have the independent station in Phoenix that carries Suns and Jeopardy.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

My Amazon prime tv has all my local channels as part of its package

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TOO wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 6:32 pm
My Amazon prime tv has all my local channels as part of its package
Do you also have NBA TV, ESPN, and TNT? And how much a month. You are in Phoenix? You get AZ Family or whatever the Suns station is?

"Be Legendary."