What movies are you guys watching?

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: What movies are you guys watching?

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:I just watched Get Out as it would never be shown in theaters where I live unless it was nominated for awards. I thought it was a fantastic movie. Brilliant writing and acting.
Yeah, really enjoyed it. Where do you live and why wouldn't it be shown there?

I'm excited to see Alien Covenant this weekend.
I live in Busan, South Korea. We get a lot of Western (American) movies here but it's generally just the mega budget blockbusters. They also re-release old movies that Koreans have a strange fascination with. Eternal Sunshine for the Spotless Mind and 8 Mile are recent examples.

Edit: I just checked to see what's playing at my neighborhood theater, and well, Get Out has made it. :lol:

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised since they started showing Moonlight after it won Best Picture. My Korean friends had a kind of WTF? reaction to that movie due to their lack of in depth knowledge of American culture.
Last edited by Flagrant Fowl on Fri May 19, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:I just watched Get Out as it would never be shown in theaters where I live unless it was nominated for awards. I thought it was a fantastic movie. Brilliant writing and acting.
Yeah, really enjoyed it. Where do you live and why wouldn't it be shown there?

I'm excited to see Alien Covenant this weekend.
I live in Busan, South Korea. We get a lot of Western (American) movies here but it's generally just the mega budget blockbusters. They also re-release old movies that Koreans have a strange fascination with. Eternal Sunshine for the Spotless Mind and 8 Mile are recent examples.
Interesting. I take it the Western movies are in English with Korean subtitles? Wow! How did you go from Oregon to South Korea?
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:Interesting. I take it the Western movies are in English with Korean subtitles? Wow! How did you go from Oregon to South Korea?
Yeah, they're all subtitled in Korean.

I'm a licensed MS/HS Science and ESL teacher in Oregon and public school jobs are shitty for new teachers, so I decided to go abroad.

I work at a national vocational engineering high school and live about a five minute walk from the beach. It's worked out pretty well so far.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Superbone wrote:Interesting. I take it the Western movies are in English with Korean subtitles? Wow! How did you go from Oregon to South Korea?
Yeah, they're all subtitled in Korean.

I'm a licensed MS/HS Science and ESL teacher in Oregon and public school jobs are s*** for new teachers, so I decided to go abroad.

I work at a national vocational engineering high school and live about a five minute walk from the beach. It's worked out pretty well so far.
Nice! Quite adventurous.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I've got my Alien: Covenant ticket for tonight at one of those fancy assigned seating in a nice chair theaters. I'm excited to see it as the first two Alien movies are two of my favorites of all-time. I did a quick check of Metacritic reviews and it appears to have gotten lukewarm reviews but that's OK. It's still Alien and it's directed by Ridley Scott. I get the impression from the commercials that it's very similar to the original Alien movie. The commercial campaign really bugs me in that they started out not showing too much but now the later commercials show way too much. I've already seen more than I wanted even though I try to fast forward through all commercials.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I actually wanted to see Lego Batman. Gotta catch that one.

Saw Logan a while back and it was very good but heavy. It definitely had the Western motif going and they drew on movies like Unforgiven for thematic and style.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Welp, Covenant was disappointing. Doesn't even come close to the first two or even Prometheus for that matter. I expected more from Ridley Scott. It looked great but they needed to spend a little on decent writers.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:Welp, Covenant was disappointing. Doesn't even come close to the first two or even Prometheus for that matter. I expected more from Ridley Scott. It looked great but they needed to spend a little on decent writers.
Hi is 80 years old. I am not sure he is putting the same amount of energy into his films anymore.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:Welp, Covenant was disappointing. Doesn't even come close to the first two or even Prometheus for that matter. I expected more from Ridley Scott. It looked great but they needed to spend a little on decent writers.
Hi is 80 years old. I am not sure he is putting the same amount of energy into his films anymore.
Wow, had no idea. Makes sense though since Alien came out in 1979. As my son, the writer put it, this movie felt like watching Friday the 13th but with aliens.
"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Going to an early screening of Wonder Woman tomorrow and will report back afterwards. I'm pretty excited for it!

SDC

Post by SDC »

In2ition wrote:I haven't seen the movie, but would like to. It looks very interesting and entertaining. At the very worst, I expect it to portray how some people view other people of a different race. I don't think it's something to get up all in arms about. Don't be a p**** and cry foul! Get Out and go see it.
I finally saw Get Out.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

SDC wrote:
In2ition wrote:I haven't seen the movie, but would like to. It looks very interesting and entertaining. At the very worst, I expect it to portray how some people view other people of a different race. I don't think it's something to get up all in arms about. Don't be a p**** and cry foul! Get Out and go see it.
I finally saw Get Out.
I saw it and thought it was good, fun and entertaining.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

SDC

Post by SDC »

In2ition wrote:
SDC wrote:
I finally saw Get Out.
I saw it and thought it was good, fun and entertaining.
it was okay.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Wonder Woman was pretty good!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I forget if I've posted about Alien Covenant here yet. I saw it and mostly enjoyed it. The characters are a little flat, but the movie is beautifully directed and answers a lot of questions posed in Prometheus. Flawed but enjoyable scifi/action/horror movie imo.

Wife wants to see Wonder Woman so we will probably get to that this weekend. That movie is getting good reviews but I'm not especially excited to see it. I'm kind of superheroed out. But I'll let you know what I think in a few days.

carey

Post by carey »

Has anyone seen Edgar Wright's new film "Baby Driver?" I loved it until Act 3 where...
Spoiler: show/hide
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wow, I loved the whole thing. One of the most innovative movies in a long time.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Sitting down for Spider-Man: Homecoming now.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

And?

TOO

Post by TOO »

carey wrote:Has anyone seen Edgar Wright's new film "Baby Driver?" I loved it until Act 3 where...
Spoiler: show/hide
I enjoyed the hell outta this movie.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.