Sony / The Interview / North Korea

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Dan H

Sony / The Interview / North Korea

Post by Dan H »

Okay, this is just getting ridiculous.

Some theaters announced they'd play Team America after Sony pulled The Interview.

https://twitter.com/PlazaAtlanta/status/545649155327426560

Dan H

Re: Sony / The Interview / North Korea

Post by Dan H »

TOO

Post by TOO »

America, Fuck Yeah!
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Freedom costs a $1.05.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Making 911 style terrorist threats to US buildings by North Korea in my opinion is a borderline act of war. There is no way this country should be okay with ANY of this, let alone censoring our own free speech at the bequest of a foreign government. Comedy Central did it a few years ago when muslims threatened violence over South Park's 200th episode, and as a result the entire ending of the episode, and every mention of the name "Mohammed" was beeped out by the network. Giving in when these fucks threaten violence will just encourage this type of behavior....

Indy

Post by Indy »

And being sued and connected with deaths of your customers can kill a business (unless you sell drugs). They aren't giving in to an online group of hackers, they are avoiding litigation and mitigating risk.

I think it is ridiculous too, but I bet their stock holders are better for it.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

I understand the business side of it, for sure - but this isn't just the hacking (which is the businesses problem, i agree) but wholesale threats of wanton murder and destruction against the American public is a whole different category. This isn't just a group of anon hackers like most of the other stuff released recently; This (and the threats) go straight to the North Korean government. There is never a situation where we as a nation should submit to threats of violence, IMO.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

I don't see how Paramount would have been liable if a theater chose to screen their film and something happened. That act is the more cowardly IMO. The cat's already out of the bag - you can buy it any store, Amazon, or watch it instantly on Netflix.

Given the content of the e-mails the hackers have already released I would not be surprised one bit if there is more personally damaging stuff in there the higher ups at Sony don't want to see the light of day.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The thing is, there is *NO WAY* that North Korea could do anything to these theaters if they did show the movie. They'd have to have the most advanced military ever to be able to detect exactly where the theaters are, launch some kind of missile at them, whatever. It'd be ludicrous. North Korea isn't a military powerhouse. They have some nerds who can hack computers, but that is completely different from being able to conduct any kind of military action and/or terrorism.

Really if anything it is just about that hack. They have sensitive data and they'll release it if Sony releases the picture. Or, Sony is just doing this as a publicity stunt to increase interest in the picture, which they'll just release later.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Supposedly it's getting the Song of the South treatment and will never see the light of day in any format. Time will tell.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:The thing is, there is *NO WAY* that North Korea could do anything to these theaters if they did show the movie. They'd have to have the most advanced military ever to be able to detect exactly where the theaters are, launch some kind of missile at them, whatever. It'd be ludicrous. North Korea isn't a military powerhouse. They have some nerds who can hack computers, but that is completely different from being able to conduct any kind of military action and/or terrorism.

Really if anything it is just about that hack. They have sensitive data and they'll release it if Sony releases the picture. Or, Sony is just doing this as a publicity stunt to increase interest in the picture, which they'll just release later.
I feel like they are delaying, not because they are actually worried a terrorist-type attack might happen, but because they don't fully know the extent of the hack yet. They have to be working closely with FBI/CIA/NSA to figure this out (especially now that the national security threat has happened). Once they do, they will release it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:The thing is, there is *NO WAY* that North Korea could do anything to these theaters if they did show the movie. They'd have to have the most advanced military ever to be able to detect exactly where the theaters are, launch some kind of missile at them, whatever. It'd be ludicrous. North Korea isn't a military powerhouse. They have some nerds who can hack computers, but that is completely different from being able to conduct any kind of military action and/or terrorism.

Do you think it would be that hard for them to recruit people to go nuts in a theater and kill dozens? If that just happened once it would be considered a win by NK.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think North Korea is just the latest boogeyman to make us scared and feed the news cycle. They're harmless.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nati ... tml#page=1

Translation: "Sony acted stupidly."

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Funny flub in the press conference today. Obama called James Franco, James Flacco.

Joe FlaccoVerified account
‏@TeamFlacco
.@barackobama It's James Franco, not James Flacco ;)

Joe Flacco ‏@TeamFlacco 1h1 hour ago
Welcome to the family, brother. @JamesFrancoTV

Indy

Post by Indy »

http://www.slate.com/articles/technolog ... ver.1.html

I think we still don't know who did what in this case.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Mori Chu wrote:I think North Korea is just the latest boogeyman to make us scared and feed the news cycle. They're harmless.
I wouldn't say harmless, but maybe harmless to the US for the most part. They could easily make it a real bad day in SK which would make it a real bad day for the U.S. and China.

They do threaten US and SK on a regular basis and to some that might be an act of war, but the have been doing it for many decades and haven't been able to do anything to the U.S. in all that time. They have done some damage to SK from time to time pushing their buttons, so it's a balancing act with a country that can only survive by threatening everybody into giving them stuff to keep them quiet.

I guess we added more sanctions to them in response even though we aren't sure if it was them. I wonder what we did that we didn't already do to them. It's just a silly/deadly game.

dribblepebble

Post by dribblepebble »

Murica can do anything if they want to. :lol:
Playing games like basketball on a rainy day can give make you tough? Its a myth.

pickle

Post by pickle »

i don't know if this could be construed as a freedom of speech thing, per se... it's basically my neighbor who's foaming at the mouth and clearly not all there upstairs threatening me if i don't take my christmas decorations off the lawn... and me complying due to thinking it's not worth the potential hassle of dealing with a borderline nutcase. yeah i got threatened and took action to avoid conflict, but it's not like the US government banned the interview, it was sony's own decision, right?

re. the south park episode, i thought that was awesome. beeping out mohammed felt like to the producers of the show, that name was offensive and needed a beep. at least that's how i'd always interpreted it until i read this thread.