Who's watching USA v Mexico soccer friendly in Arizona apr 2

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
SDC

Who's watching USA v Mexico soccer friendly in Arizona apr 2

Post by SDC »

julian green of bayern munich youth team and team USA is worth the price of admission. his first cap for the USMNT.

SDC

Re: Who's watching USA v Mexico soccer friendly in Arizona a

Post by SDC »

in AZ

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I just ventured over to the General forum and saw this thread. I watched every minute of this game and have been watching more and more soccer over the last year. I'm excited for the upcoming World Cup despite the tough draw for the USA.

I'm really interested to see who makes the final cut for the World Cup squad. I wonder if Jurgen will go with the MLS guys like Wondo, Eddie Johnson and Beckerman over Europeans Aaron Johannsson, Julian Green and Jermaine Jones? I'm a loyal Portland Timbers fan, but I can't help but pull for Wondo. That guy always seems to find the back of the net.

Back to the game.. I thought Green played well for an 18-year old making his first cap against our biggest rival. He looked nervous, which is expected, but he also showed that he has a lot of talent with both feet. He brings speed to the national team that's been sorely lacking as our core guys start declining. He definitely benefits from playing at a shallow position roster depth wise. Brek Shea is really the only true left winger we have, and even he's really struggled over the last 6 months. All that considered, I'm not sure he's ready to contribute on the big stage. I wouldn't be surprised to see Geoff Cameron, Fabian Johnson, or Graham Zusi get the first team selection when the WC starts.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

SDC

Post by SDC »

I just ventured over to the General forum and saw this thread. I watched every minute of this game and have been watching more and more soccer over the last year. I'm excited for the upcoming World Cup despite the tough draw for the USA.
you a member of the American Outlaws?

so did the USA have home court advantage in arizona, or is the audience 8-to-2 in favor of those who support Mexico?
I'm really interested to see who makes the final cut for the World Cup squad. I wonder if Jurgen will go with the MLS guys like Wondo, Eddie Johnson and Beckerman over Europeans Aaron Johannsson, Julian Green and Jermaine Jones? I'm a loyal Portland Timbers fan, but I can't help but pull for Wondo. That guy always seems to find the back of the net.
the only reason julian green agreed to don the USA colors this year is because jurgen gave him assurances. green was brought in a few weeks ago to train with the USMNT. i guess klinsmann liked what he saw and thinks the 18 yr old is more qualified for the MNT over guys who are veterans of the MLS.

SDC

Post by SDC »

just saw the finals of the U17 womens championship between japan and spain at costa rica. how does the japanese do it? :D

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

SDC wrote: you a member of the American Outlaws?

so did the USA have home court advantage in arizona, or is the audience 8-to-2 in favor of those who support Mexico?
Nah, I'm not a member of the AO, but I suppose any soccer loving American gets a complementary membership regardless of "official" status. I went to a Gold Cup match last summer when they played some miserable Caribbean island nation here in Portland, and it was a blast.

I'm pretty sure the last game was scheduled as "home" game for Mexico, which only means they were probably allotted more tickets to sell than the USA. Semantics, really, because I think the fan distribution would've been about the same regardless of the "home" team. I suppose it's a way for the USA to save some face for being out numbered on their own turf. I guarantee you'll never see a meaningful USA vs. Mexico game being played in Glendale.
SDC wrote:the only reason julian green agreed to don the USA colors this year is because jurgen gave him assurances. green was brought in a few weeks ago to train with the USMNT. i guess klinsmann liked what he saw and thinks the 18 yr old is more qualified for the MNT over guys who are veterans of the MLS.
I think you're on the right track, but I wouldn't call him a lock for the WC squad quite yet. We'll have to see how he looks in the remaining friendlies before the WC starts. I like Green, and I think he's going to be Landon Donovan 2.0, but I don't see it as the coup that it's been portrayed in the American media. Yeah, Green would've had a good shot at playing for the German national team, but Germany is loaded with talent. By claiming his US status he guarantees himself a top spot with a respectable national team, and opens the door for a lot more marketing opportunities in the future. It's not like Germans were sobbing in their sauerkraut over losing him to the USA, either.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.