FCC votes for net neutrality and Title II

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Dan H

Re: FCC votes for net neutrality and Title II

Post by Dan H »

Saves me $10 a month. I also save $5 a month by using a CableCard instead of their DVR.

As far as inflation . . . . CPI says there's not much.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-consumer-spend ... 20871.html

Somehow the cost of groceries don't seem to go in there, though.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I would have a hard time without a DVR.

The modem for cox is free (at least for me). That's why I was wondering.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

I have a DVR. I have one box that can record six shows at once, play Blu-Rays, and stream Netflix and Amazon Prime.

The box even looks fancy. ;)

Indy

Post by Indy »

Got it. I used to have a box similar (way before bluRay existed though). Right now I used Directv and their whole home system. It costs me 15 a month to have the DVR and stream it to my other TV if I want. I am OK with that since they upgrade it every two years or so, and I just complain to get it for free with a new 2 yr contract when it happens.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Dan H wrote:You guys aren't saying that there's . . . inflation . . . are you? ;)
I don't even know what point you are trying to make with that one. We live in reality, and the market is growing. That means inflation is going to happen. For your complaint about NN to make any sense, in three years, we'll need to see internet rates increasing at a greater rate than other utilities. Even that won't really mean NN is at fault, though.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Ghost - I was just being snarky about how CPI has been saying inflation is essentially not a factor whereas it's quite obvious that it is.
Indy wrote:Got it. I used to have a box similar (way before bluRay existed though). Right now I used Directv and their whole home system. It costs me 15 a month to have the DVR and stream it to my other TV if I want. I am OK with that since they upgrade it every two years or so, and I just complain to get it for free with a new 2 yr contract when it happens.
I like it because I'm a tinkerer. From a cost-basis standpoint I don't know that it's worth it or not, but it's nice having an open system. It's easy to burn shows to disc to give to friends, it can act as a network server and I can watch it on a laptop or our Roku in the bedroom. Plus when I have slow days at work I can watch it on one of my monitors and keep myself awake. ;)

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Dan H wrote:Ghost - I was just being snarky about how CPI has been saying inflation is essentially not a factor whereas it's quite obvious that it is.
Ahh, gotcha. I caught the snark, but had no context. Yeah, that's ridiculous.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Indy

Post by Indy »

Read the source, Dan, not the trumped up single word quote. It is the exact opposite of what that article leads you to believe.