Zach Greinke

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
DrSublime

Zach Greinke

Post by DrSublime »

just... wow.
~~~~~

Wally_West

Re: Zach Greinke

Post by Wally_West »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It amazes me still that baseball owners are giving out these ridiculous contracts when players hardly ever live up to them. And what's more, baseball is not a superstar sport where one guy can change a team or win you a title. Just doesn't make any sense if I'm a team owner.

carey

Post by carey »

ShelC wrote:It amazes me still that baseball owners are giving out these ridiculous contracts when players hardly ever live up to them. And what's more, baseball is not a superstar sport where one guy can change a team or win you a title. Just doesn't make any sense if I'm a team owner.
An ace on a staff is a little different. Without Johnson/Schilling there is no world series win. Though that contract is a bit crazy. Especially since Zack is already 32. He will make about $1Mil per start.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

You have to spend to be competitive. This team is one more quality starter and some bullpen tweaks away from being a contender. Goldschmidt, Pollock, Wellington Castillo, Incierte and Peralta are in their prime. Time to win.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Shelby!

carey

Post by carey »

That trade is ugh. I like Ender and Dansby is probably going to be pretty good. Ah well. We will see. If Miller becomes Arietta or something the deal will look great. If not it will be abother deal where we just gave up too much. I hope Socrates is legit...
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

carey

Post by carey »

specialsauce wrote:A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
Is it worth 3 though? Or 4? Because lets not forget we gave the Braves Toussaint for nothing at all last Summer. You can argue getting rid of $10M allowed us to sign Greinke, but that's back to back #1 picks we gave up on.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I'd rather stockpile championships than stockpile "potential". Especially in baseball. Established proven MLB talent trumps minor league draft status and what if's. You never know if they'll even transition to the big leagues.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

As a Braves fan, I've been very happy trading with the DBacks (Justin Upton, Touki Toussaint, and Swanson et al).

HOWEVA! You guys will definitely be contending while the Braves are still a few years off.

And to think, I woulda been a DBacks fan if they had just simply existed when I lived in AZ (1986-1994).

Split T

Post by Split T »

Would the braves not have done that trade for Blair/Swanson not sure why we had to give up all 3. I liked inciarte. Don't know much about brito, need him or Tomas to step up

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

loosing Ender is not that big of a deal IMO, he was decent but he was more Parra to be than anything else.
Loosing Blair and Swanson, eh, who knows, they could be good, or they could be Todd Van Poppel and Tim Beckham
~~~~~

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

A couple things:

* It takes several years to evaluate a trade, especially when minor leaguers are involved.

* Blair had a solid year in the minors, but he was regarded the third-best in the group that included him, Bradley and Shipley.

* Brito destroyed AA pitching. He also looked good in the September call-up. He and Tomas will make a good platoon. He's athletic enough to play center field, if need be. But, yeah, the loss of Inciarte hurt a bit....
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

carey

Post by carey »

I worry about Yas' ability to play outfield. Lamb seems to be the future at 3B.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I've heard (and will have to look where I saw this) that Tomas is working with a renowned strength and conditioning coach in the off-season to get in great shape for next season. I think that will be huge as he's actually very athletic for his size.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

https://twitter.com/SteveGilbertMLB/status/674646331076554753

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Tomas could develop into a serviceable right fielder.

Mack Newton is close to 70, but still looks like he could kick anybody's keester in the barroom. He's trained Jay Novacek, Rickie Henderson, Barry Bonds, Bo Jackson, Roy Green and Aeneas Williams. His training was partially responsible for Novacek becoming an All Pro tight end with Dallas after the Cards failed to resign him.

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

so Jean Segura now also.. odd, but gets rid of Hill, if he ends up at 2B its a solid move, just please leave Ahmed at SS.

could care less about the Anderson/Wagner portion, same w/ Isan Diaz, 19 year old ss, we have too many SS's as it is.
~~~~~

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Chase Anderson was a 100 inning a year pitcher, at best. Good stuff, weak (stamina) arm.