The Force Awakens

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Indy

Re: The Force Awakens

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Indy wrote:My guess is no. Different lineage I think.
Just saw it. I think she is Obi Wan's. You hear Alec Guiness' voice calling her Rey in the flashback.
Well Obi Wan died about 35 years ago.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I saw it a few days ago and I believe that if the move wasn't called Star Wars it would be regarded as just another overly-CGI SciFi action flick. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it just wasn't all that special of a movie to me at all.

Then again, I don't consider myself a Star Wars fan. I mostly saw the movie because I live in Korea and watching English movies at the theater is one of the only authentic Western things to do here. I'm 99% certain I wouldn't have gone to see it at a theater if I was back home.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

One of the things I liked is that it wasn't overly CGI. It's not like it was another Transformers movie.

carey

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:
carey wrote:
Indy wrote:My guess is no. Different lineage I think.
Just saw it. I think she is Obi Wan's. You hear Alec Guiness' voice calling her Rey in the flashback.
Well Obi Wan died about 35 years ago.
I forgot to put Granddaughter. My bad!
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

That's my first thought too. Wondering about the maternal side.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:One of the things I liked is that it wasn't overly CGI. It's not like it was another Transformers movie.
Agreed. And that's one of the things that bothered me about the prequels.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:One of the things I liked is that it wasn't overly CGI. It's not like it was another Transformers movie.
You, me, and a few hundred million other people.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
You, me, and a few hundred million other people.
Good to know we weren't alone. ;)
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am heading back with my kiddos for a 2nd screening tomorrow morning. I love assigned seats at theatres!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Saw it tonight and it definitely hit the spot. Not like the prequels at all, which you can tell by the trailers. Extremely well done, even if it is a bit of a retread story but the characters are great and it's fun seeing Han and Chewie again, especially in the Millenium Falcon. The HuffPost article is spot on tho, I caught many of those myself watching it.

I thought Kylo is kind of a pussy.
Spoiler: show/hide
Some good actual laughs tho in the first half, especially with Han and Finn, but felt like some more modern humor as well which is markedly different from the originals (a little Family Guy-esque). Chewie's awesome. Finn holds his own. Hope we see more Poe, he's got an Ash Williams/Army of Darkness vibe which is cool. C3PO's voice seemed off. Rey is definitely
She's a total badass, love her.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The temper tantrum with his lightsaber was pretty off
I felt the opposite with that. I thought it showed what a petulant person he is. He has a lot of stuff to live up to, and he isn't cutting it. It is kind of like DV when he was still on the JV squad. I mean, the relationship between him and Hux was interesting. You never saw DV have an equal in the Empire. You can just tell this guy is telling everyone he is going to be great, but not living up to the promise yet.

And yes, this is basically the first 3 Star Wars movies rolled into one. You can really never see any of them and start fresh on this one, which was clearly the goal.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I liked the dynamic with him and Hux and thought there's more there. Kind of like a CEO or someone trying to run a company (who knows what they'e doing) and having to put up with the owner's son who's not as qualified. Hope they dig into that a bit more and create some kind of subplot with those two.

But still, the temper tantrums...just not feeling it. Again, reminded me of Hayden Christensen's whining. You wouldn't have seen that in the original. It would have been more foreboding, like when DV was choking out Motti.

One other thing,
Great 9 out of 10 tho.

Indy

Post by Indy »

But still, the temper tantrums...just not feeling it. Again, reminded me of Hayden Christensen's whining. You wouldn't have seen that in the original. It would have been more foreboding, like when DV was choking out Motti.
Two points:

A) I like seeing a villain that is conflicted, or not fully baked yet. DV was a complete badass and no emotion. I like seeing emotion.

B) I have yet to see a minute of Hayden Christiansen in Star Wars (outside of awful remastered end of ROTJ). So maybe my point of view is different.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

The schadenfreude in this is just delicious:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/george-lucas ... 45258.html

You got your $4 billion, Georgie. Shut up and go away. You aren't allowed to have an opinion after you foisted Jar Jar off on us.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think he is allowed to have and share his opinions. I totally get why he didn't like it. It is fan pandering and it is basically a rehash of the first 3 movies.

But we all needed a palate cleanser after Episode 1-3.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

I think that's the reason they took the tack they did. If they'd gone too experimental they might have alienated the audience. It sounds like Rogue One might be where they start to take some risks and go a fresh direction in the universe.

I mean I literally had zero expectations for it going in, I took my kids to see it and told myself hey, if nothing else you can share in their enjoyment. And I was blown away. I'd say it's already the second best film of the series after Empire.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think it is on par with Jedi. The one thing you can't discount with Star Wars (I don't call in A New Hope even if I am supposed to) is that it created the world. Since then, we have almost seen nothing really new. For me, it is IV, V, VII, VI then I. I haven't seen II or III and don't think I plan to. I think nostalgia carried VII more than you realize. I have seen it twice now, and I thoroughly enjoyed it both times. But I would say the 2nd viewing was better because you just got to enjoy it. And this is coming from a guy that probably saw IV 50 times between 1983 and 1985. We got a copy of it and it was in the VCR every day during the summer, and all weekends. In 1985 we got our NES and didn't go back to watch movies as much anymore.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

If you suffered through 1, 2 and 3 are an improvement. At least watch 3, its the best of the prequels.

Wow, Indy! You had an NES in '85? You must have been one of the first people in America. Nice. In '85 it was released in very small quantities in test markets, with the main release coming september '86, and most people not paying attention until mid '87. In '85, I was still playing on my 2600 and my colecovision lol.

carey

Post by carey »

I did not have my own NES until Oct of '88.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!