Biden Administration misc. activities

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: Biden Administration misc. activities

Post by In2ition »

"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

He looks like a pissed off Jesus. I used to think of Republicans as the old white man club all wearing black and white suits. Now they have long hair and dress like 60’s hippies. Who knew?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:46 pm
He looks like a pissed off Jesus. I used to think of Republicans as the old white man club all wearing black and white suits. Now they have long hair and dress like 60’s hippies. Who knew?
?? He isn't a Republican or Democrat. He used to be against all political parties, but more recently has been supporting the Labour side in the UK.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Once again Mori, just like Peterson you've played the man and not the ball - this is the worst kind of ignorance also.

Four points to raise here:

1. In case you didn't watch it, Brand cites valid sources so it's not really a 'Russell Brand' opinion piece, it's more him being a vehicle for legitimate evidence - he does, of course, give valid commentary on this.

2. Brand is financially sorted for life so has no ulterior motives other than to enlighten, and when you consider he has a strong track record of being a left leaning / help the poor type character then this, along with his high IQ and marginalised back ground (he was a heroin addict and has campaigned for addiction to be treated as a disease rather than a criminal act) his authenticity shouldn't really be in doubt.

In 2015, Prospect magazine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prospect_(magazine)) voted Brand the fourth-most influential thinker in the world, behind Thomas Piketty, Yanis Varoufakis, and Naomi Klein - if you don't know who those other three are, they are serious heavy hitters in the world.

Considering all that, it's interesting to watch him "promote anti-left / anti-liberal" stories because he is unquestionably a left leaning liberal .. it's fairly obvious - at least to me - what one should make of all that.

3. You can see why CNN is raging at guys like Joe Rogan - he's annihilating them in viewership - and Brand with his nearly 5m subscribers along with many others are doing the same; maybe i'm a little obvious and a little slow with this comment but they're redefining how we consume news and with a bit of luck we get past the MSM (CNN, MSNBC, Fox etc) bullsh*t we've been subjected to for too long that could, in an ideal world, lead to a cleaning up of politics through shining a light on said bullsh*t.

4. That said, if you want a great take on why harvesting and selling on data is such a nefarious thing to do - and where it could lead in a non-ideal world - then read this article by Yuval Noah Harari (of Sapiens fame - probably my favourite book) where he uses Aldous Huxley's Brave New World as an analogy.

"The underlying assumption of the book is that humans are biochemical algorithms, that science can hack the human algorithm, and that technology can then be used to manipulate not just individuals but entire societies" :

Spoiler: show/hide

Indy

Post by Indy »

You can see why CNN is raging at guys like Joe Rogan
People are calling out Joe Rogan because he is openly racist and promoting lies that endanger people's health.
Last edited by Indy on Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indy

Post by Indy »

3rdside wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:50 pm
Brand is financially sorted for life so has no ulterior motives other than to enlighten
At first I thought you were joking with this comment, but after reading the rest of it I realize you were serious.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:57 pm
You can see why CNN is raging at guys like Joe Rogan
People are calling out Joe Rogan because he is openly racist and promoting lies that endanger people's health.
Ok libtard ;)

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:01 pm
3rdside wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:50 pm
Brand is financially sorted for life so has no ulterior motives other than to enlighten
At first I thought you were joking with this comment, but after reading the rest of it I realize you were serious.
Ok so he's building an audience also, but to question his intentions as somehow being self serving for capitalistic reasons or that he's behaving without morality and integrity as his main drivers is incorrect.

Indy

Post by Indy »

You can apologize for being a racist all you want, doesn't make you not a racist.

And as for Brand, it is just my point that rich people who don't need another dollar to live the rest of their lives are constantly looking for ways to make more dollars to live the rest of their lives. They are not saying what they want to say and doing what the want to say because they care about humanity and just want to help. If that were the case, we wouldn't hear about them. They would be quietly helping homeless shelters and clean water projects and sustainable food projects. Not telling us they are doing those things.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Joe Rogan is not a racist - watch Sam Harris and you'll realise how totally wrong you are (I could have told you myself he's not a racist but Sam Harris is far more credible than I am). His podcast has highlighted serious flaws with its format and content, but again that doesn't make him a racist.

Watch the Sam Harris video.

And lol you're such a cynical American .. people can operate from a position of love, and that's it, and that's what Brand does - there are literally hundreds of articles detailing all the charity work he does.

Indy

Post by Indy »

We've had this argument before. For some reason you think that repeatedly using racist terms doesn't mean you are racist. I completely disagree. You don't say that word without being a racist. You just don't. Maybe as a kid before you realize what it means in society. But not as a grown ass man. He is racist and you can see it. I mean describing walking into a mostly Black neighborhood as Planet of the Apes? Fuck that guy. He's a racist.

Indy

Post by Indy »

3rdside wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:20 pm
Joe Rogan is not a racist - watch Sam Harris and you'll realise how totally wrong you are (I could have told you myself he's not a racist but Sam Harris is far more credible than I am). His podcast has highlighted serious flaws with its format and content, but again that doesn't make him a racist.

And lol you're such a cynical American .. people can operate from a position of love, and that's it, and that's what Brand does - there are literally hundreds of articles detailing all the charity work he does.
Hmmm, why is that you think?

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

I'm being a little too idealistic on Brand, but youtube is the perfect medium for him to help and enlighten (which he's been been doing for a long time even pre-youtube success), *and* he gets paid for it so he's absolutely winning.

That he probably wants to win some more (through greater viewership), well I can't fault his ambition on that one as he's doing it by 'helping and enlightening'.

Here's an article that gives some insight into his personality / his views on money, where he says himself he "gave away too much to charity".

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/russell-brand ... es-1642459

That said, it also says he ran out of money and needs to work ... which supports your view that he might be operating from not an entirely altruistic position.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:35 pm
We've had this argument before. For some reason you think that repeatedly using racist terms doesn't mean you are racist. I completely disagree. You don't say that word without being a racist. You just don't. Maybe as a kid before you realize what it means in society. But not as a grown ass man. He is racist and you can see it. I mean describing walking into a mostly Black neighborhood as Planet of the Apes? Fuck that guy. He's a racist.
Give me a break, it's not a great analogy at all, but if you think that's the case-closed sign of Rogan being a racist then you're lost.

Here's a light-hearted article on Shaq and apes.

https://basketnews.com/news-165500-shaq ... ee-me.html

There are similarities because of the black skin ... right?

And Harris says it best about the N word - how pathetic society must be if it chooses to assign magical status to it, so much so that it can't even be discussed? Rogan doesn't ever use it in a racist context, rather he discusses the word itself - big difference.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:36 pm
3rdside wrote:

You think he's that cynical that he's promoting himself by promoting his own charity work?

And you think In2 is a conspiracy theorist..

Indy

Post by Indy »

And Harris says it best about the N word - how pathetic society must be if it chooses to assign magical status to it, so much so that it can't even be discussed?
:roll:
Yeah we should always take privileged white guys perspective on racism in America.
Last edited by Indy on Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Indy

Post by Indy »

3rdside wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:17 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:36 pm
3rdside wrote:

You think he's that cynical that he's promoting himself by promoting his own charity work?

And you think In2 is a conspiracy theorist..
Who is calling the newspaper to tell them he is doing the charity work?
I am not saying that it is bad, at all. It is great he is doing it. But you are pretending that he is doing it to be altruistic and there is no amount of self-serving going on. That just isn't how it works.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

I acknowledged Brand self serving from a financial perspective but I really feel you don't know Brand at all judging by the points you're making.

Indy

Post by Indy »

3rdside wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:38 pm
I acknowledged Brand self serving from a financial perspective but I really feel you don't know Brand at all judging by the points you're making.
You don't either. You know what he puts out there about himself, or his publicist puts out there. You aren't hanging out with him when the cameras and mics aren't around. Same with everyone.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:33 pm
And Harris says it best about the N word - how pathetic society must be if it chooses to assign magical status to it, so much so that it can't even be discussed?
:roll:
Yeah we should always take privileged white guys perspective on racism in America.
It's a word, not a magic spell that if we say three times Satan himself appears.