Poll: Bernie Sanders would beat Donald Trump

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Dan H

Re: Poll: Bernie Sanders would beat Donald Trump

Post by Dan H »

Man, I hope not. She'd be almost as bad as Jeb.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Dan H wrote:Man, I hope not. She'd be almost as bad as Jeb.
Almost? I can't think of a nationally recognized (and in many circles, respected) former candidate that would be worse.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Seriously? He was giving her gifts, attention, etc. Even if he were single the relationship would not have been professionally acceptable. At the end of the day it was an older guy in a position of authority and power taking advantage of a younger, less mature, and less experienced woman.
You want to get back on topic I know, and that's cool because this isn't exactly news anymore. But, I did get curious earlier so I went back and read some old accounts of things, and while I stand by my claim that Clinton wasn't legally in the wrong (yes, it was highly inappropriate and ill-advised, even if he were single, everything he did was pretty normal for what people in relationships do--attention and gifts for a lover are sort of how dating work), SHE may well have been guilty of a crime, because she admitted to threatening to expose the whole thing if she didn't get a good job after it was over. And that's blackmail, which we will all agree is something to avoid in the workplace, unless you're in the mafia.

(You could argue that he was guilty of a conflict of interest by going along with that, although I didn't read enough to see if she got any more than a job reference, which almost certainly wouldn't qualify as a crime.)

Anyway, I thought that was interesting. And now, back to 2015.

Indy

Post by Indy »

How crazy is it that this came out almost 20 years ago?

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

I was thinking about that as I was reading through everything... We are old. And to think I've been arguing with you clowns almost as long...!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Indy

Post by Indy »

Ghost wrote:I was thinking about that as I was reading through everything... We are old. And to think I've been arguing with you clowns almost as long...!

Exactly. The fact that Pulp Fiction is old enough to drink legally and Austin Powers can vote is very disturbing to me.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Austin Powers should never be allowed to vote.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ghost wrote:Austin Powers should never be allowed to vote.

Nothing to worry about. He's from another country, baby!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Superbone wrote:
Ghost wrote:Austin Powers should never be allowed to vote.

Nothing to worry about. He's from another country, baby!
Good point!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

*tackles Hillary Clinton, starts pulling on her face*

Why, won't, this, mask, come, off??

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Bernie is a New England (Vermont) guy, so it follows that he would do well in polls there.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah, not surprising at all. That is his home base. It would be like Bill doing well in Arkansas in '91-92.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

My Facebook feed, which is largely filled with young progressives / liberals from Seattle and the SF Bay Area, is all aflutter over Bernie Sanders. He seems to have a ton of support from that crowd. I don't hear much about Hillary on there.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori--are those 90% white? Or maybe I should say almost all non-black? I read something today that most blacks haven't heard of him.

Take a look:

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I have never heard of Sanders until recently.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Same. Seems to be more a grassroots movement but I still haven't seen or heard much of his campaign.

In general, I'm wondering where the actual politicians went. I feel like typical politicians now merely pander to the special interests groups and tell the mass majority what they want to hear. I think Hillary, for all her experience, is a lawyer and not a politician. Obama's cut from the same cloth and while he was a dynamic speaker and could inspire the younger generation, has proven to be a rather poor politician.

People knock LBJ and Nixon, but they were great politicians. Bill Clinton may have been one of the best politicians we've ever seen.

Seeing Trump up there is kind of inspiring and thought provoking. Here's a guy who's clearly been successful in numerous ventures, has led businesses and worked through crises, led staff and delegated certain responsibilities when needed, understands financials, etc and has his own fortune to where he doesn't need to pander in order to receive campaign funding. Because of his general BS, he can't be taken seriously. But I also see what Bloomberg did for NYC and I'm reading what Cuban said about politicians now and I'm actually wanting to see what some of these guys could do in Washington.
Last edited by ShelC on Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Seeing Trump up there is kind of inspiring and thought provoking. Here's a guys who's clearly been successful in numerous ventures, has lead businesses and worked through crises, lead staff and delegated certain responsibilities when needed, understands financials, etc and has his own fortune to where he doesn't need to pander in order to receive campaign funding.
I see a guy up there whose ONLY redeeming quality is that he "says what he thinks." And what he thinks is that everyone else -- everyone -- who isn't him is a loser. Not while you agree with him, of course...but everyone who questions him on anything is a loser. He's not even racist or sexist, as many would make him out to be. He does say racist and sexist things, but he's worse than that. He's an equal-opportunity asshole who thinks that anyone who doesn't agree with him is wrong. He can't hold a rational argument with someone (because why would he waste his time actually talking with a loser?). He can't relate to anyone in the country, much less anyone in a foreign country (with whom he would need to frequently work with).

What, exactly, do you consider inspiring about him, Shel?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The only good thing you can really say about Trump is that maybe his candidacy will help disrupt our shitty governmental system and two-party structure. But I doubt it.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

That is the hope. That maybe some of these younger multimillionaire/billionaires that have some actual life experience being a normal person and earning their fortunes will run for office and try and change things. With Trump, I tend to think a lot of that stuff is an act and he's doing it just to get a reaction. Regardless, it's not actually him that's inspiring but the act of running and not catering to a specific party or special interest group; or, at least, not being forced to.