Lafayette Shooting

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Ghost

Re: Lafayette Shooting

Post by Ghost »

Those are good rules. Thank you.

I think they render the argument about theaters moot, because short of the attacker dressing in glow sticks, it would be just about impossible to justify shooting back under those rules. But, my main concern would be with your average citizen who, suddenly experiencing the most terrifying few seconds of their lives, is forced to make a lot of judgment calls under extreme pressure that they are not mentally capable of making properly. I think there would be a lot of innocent casualties getting caught in the crossfire, and that danger would increase exponentially with the number of firearms in the theater. And, if the theater has the choice to allow guns and this happens, I agree they should be held liable in part.

And I think it's getting to where theaters need to consider some basic security measures, like you mention. Granted, these shootings are still relatively rare, but it would be a reasonable precaution.

As for whether a shooter will seek a softer target in a GFZ or one with potentially more resistance...given the option, obviously, the GFZ. But lets say there are NO GFZs at all. Does this prevent someone who has completely gone off the rails from shooting anyone at all? Not remotely. So, in that context, he still goes to the theater, and if he's lucky, creates far more damage through the ensuing crossfire I think would happen. Or better yet, why not go to the SuperDome? Wait for the lights to go down and let it rip into the crowd...tens of thousands of targets you almost can't miss, plus the chance of FAR more chaos as everyone else who is armed tries to protect themselves.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Well, theoretically that would be difficult given the metal detectors at stadiums, but you have a point. The damage honestly wouldn't need to be all that extreme, the panicked onlookers would create more damage as they tried to escape than any gunshots might.

Indy

Lafayette Shooting

Post by Indy »

Indy

Post by Indy »

Read a funny/sad tweet today that reminded the world that the same guys who wrote the 2nd Amendment also were pretty cool with slavery. Just saying.

SDC

Post by SDC »

today's lesson: white lives matter too... bruh

SDC

Post by SDC »

Indy wrote:Read a funny/sad tweet today that reminded the world that the same guys who wrote the 2nd Amendment also were pretty cool with slavery. Just saying.
who? teh founding fathers?

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

SDC wrote:
Indy wrote:Read a funny/sad tweet today that reminded the world that the same guys who wrote the 2nd Amendment also were pretty cool with slavery. Just saying.
who? teh founding fathers?
Yes, the guys who owned slaves.

Sent from my Nexus 6 to annoy Superbone using Tapatalk

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

And Hitler was vegetarian and a strong believer in animal rights. It has just as much bearing.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and Constitutions. But laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors.

Thomas Jefferson
Last edited by Indy on Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Man gets gun, kills people with gun, kills self with gun.

Gun lovers respond that guns are not bad.

Film at 11.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If only that cameraman and reporter and the woman she was interviewing were all packing heat, this never would have happened!!!!!

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Mori Chu wrote:Man gets gun, kills people with gun, kills self with gun.

Film at 11.
The shooter was gay, should we ban the rainbow flag while we're at it? /sarc

Indy

Post by Indy »

Dan H wrote:

Film at 11.
Even with sarcasm, I have no idea how they are related...

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Dan H wrote:

Film at 11.
The real tragedy here is the number of people harmed every day by bad analogies.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Yes, like slaveholders enacting the 2nd Amendment, right?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That is more of a fact than an analogy. The point of connecting the two, of course, being that what make sense for laws in 1787 does not always make sense in 2015.

Indy

Post by Indy »

For those that didn't click on the link... The white numbers are the only days this year where there wasn't a mass murder with firearms in the US.

Indy

Post by Indy »

And to be fair, this is as much of an indictment of our mental health system in this country as our visceral need to protect guns at all costs.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Sick!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I never thought they would ever get rid of the Rebel flag, but since the church massacre Republicans finally decided it was more of a sign of hatred then anything else and took it down. The shooter posed with all of his guns and the rebel flag and posted that on his Facebook account before going on his rampage.

Does that mean they are softening up their stance on guns? I don't think so, but it shows that there is a hint of humanity left in the Republican Party. What will it take for them to soften their stance on guns and get serious about gun control? I cannot think of any scenario where that happens other than a bunch of key Republicans getting mowed down by some gunman. Then again they would just try to arm all politicians after that.