Coronavirus

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: Coronavirus

Post by In2ition »

I would go further and say that just because someone works for a prestigious university and has a Ph.D doesn't mean they aren't an idiot.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:22 am
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Bhattacharya
During the COVID-19 pandemic, Bhattacharya has been a prominent opponent of lockdowns and mask mandates.[4][5] With Martin Kulldorff and Sunetra Gupta, he was a co-author in 2020 of the Great Barrington Declaration, which advocated letting the virus spread in lower-risk groups with the aim of herd immunity, with "focused protection" of those most at risk.[5]
How freaking stupid is this??
That's one way to get rid of the riff-raff. Oh, sorry. I thought it said lower-income groups.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:46 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:22 am
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Bhattacharya
During the COVID-19 pandemic, Bhattacharya has been a prominent opponent of lockdowns and mask mandates.[4][5] With Martin Kulldorff and Sunetra Gupta, he was a co-author in 2020 of the Great Barrington Declaration, which advocated letting the virus spread in lower-risk groups with the aim of herd immunity, with "focused protection" of those most at risk.[5]
How freaking stupid is this??
That's one way to get rid of the riff-raff. Oh, sorry. I thought it said lower-income groups.
Seems to be more efficient ways to get rid of the riff-raff, if by lower-risk groups, you mean people that really aren't affected or have less than a 1-10,000 chance of dying from it. Talk to Cuomo, Murphy, Newsom, Whitmer, and Wolf on sending covid patients to nursing homes. That seemed to work more effectively and efficiently. Oh wait, those were the high-risk groups. Whoops.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

Advocating for letting an virus run rampant through "low-risk" populations is advocating for increased mutations. That leads to MORE infectious and MORE deadly viruses. They were simply advocating for that because they are economists and likely have millions invested in the market. And it got them a lot of attention from the Newsmaxes of the world.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

And for the record, I was joking about riff-raff and low income people. Yeah, I know. Funny stuff. Actually, it was sarcasm rather than joking but either way not in very good taste.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:26 pm
Advocating for letting an virus run rampant through "low-risk" populations is advocating for increased mutations. That leads to MORE infectious and MORE deadly viruses. They were simply advocating for that because they are economists and likely have millions invested in the market. And it got them a lot of attention from the Newsmaxes of the world.
I do remember the warnings on using anti-biotics and misuse of them causing mutated bacteria, such as how MRSA was created. I actually thought that the virus mutating does the opposite(gets less and less deadly as it ages), as you don't have anti-biotics type drugs to kill it. They say that the Spanish Flu virus is still around, it's just not anything that anyone worries about.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:10 pm
And for the record, I was joking about riff-raff and low income people. Yeah, I know. Funny stuff. Actually, it was sarcasm rather than joking but either way not in very good taste.
It's all good. I knew you were being sarcastic, and I was too.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:39 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:26 pm
I do remember the warnings on using anti-biotics and misuse of them causing mutated bacteria, such as how MRSA was created. I actually thought that the virus mutating does the opposite(gets less and less deadly as it ages), as you don't have anti-biotics type drugs to kill it. They say that the Spanish Flu virus is still around, it's just not anything that anyone worries about.
Mutations are random. So some make it less deadly, some make it more. Some make it less transmissible, some less. The problem is that you don't want ANY strains to be more deadly or more transmissible. And the virus replicating millions and millions of times for each infection means you will get millions and millions of chances for a more deadly strain for every infection.

[side note on bacteria/anti-biotics]
Anti-biotics is similar, but different. The anti-biotic issue is because people traditionally stop taking their medicine when they feel better. But you feel better before all the bacteria are dead. So when you take a population of 10M bacteria and start killing it with doses of anti-biotics, the ones most susceptible to the anti-biotics die first. The ones least susceptible to them die last.

When you stop taking the drugs and you have stronger bacteria left, that bacteria reproduce. And their kids are only from parents that are stronger than 90% of bacteria, meaning the next generation are less likely to die from the drugs. You let them reproduce like this trillions of times, you get populations that are completely resistant to the drugs.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wait...Mark Hamill has Covid?

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't get it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:38 am
I don't get it.
My impression was that they actually died of Covid but it was hidden behind heart failure.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I was assuming he was trying to make a snarky claim that not many people actually die of COVID and that it's actually from other conditions. But I don't know. I think sometimes Republicans overestimate how much people outside of their toxic media bubble understand what they're talking about.

Meanwhile, some cops are still being dumb about COVID:

Indy

Post by Indy »

COVID is the #1 killer of cops, by far.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2021/11/10/ ... icu-nurse/
Colorado ICU Nurse: Many COVID Patients Still Don’t Believe Virus Is Real, Blame Hospital For Illness: ‘They’re Calling You A Murderer’

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

And 780,000 have died from the virus?

Which odds do you prefer?

Indy

Post by Indy »

The number killed by the virus is over 5 million.

And saying this guy died after getting his booster like they are related is just another example of making shit up to push an agenda.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:17 am
The number killed by the virus is over 5 million.

And saying this guy died after getting his booster like they are related is just another example of making shit up to push an agenda.
Nah, I leave that to you. You think I'm making this up? You trying to say that this is made up and insinuating that no one has adverse reactions including death from the vax and booster is the definition of putting your head in the sand and/or making shit up.