Coronavirus

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
specialsauce

Re: Coronavirus

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:30 pm

Once Omicron is the virtually exclusive strain (and we’re almost there—only 4.7% of cases in the Southeast US were Delta last week), I see no reason to treat it any differently than other viruses players get. They can’t keep putting players into protocols for something that is milder than influenza.
Would love to see the mortality numbers that indicate it is less severe than influenza. Specifically need to see a mortality rate of 0.1% or less.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:30 pm
Once Omicron is the virtually exclusive strain (and we’re almost there—only 4.7% of cases in the Southeast US were Delta last week), I see no reason to treat it any differently than other viruses players get. They can’t keep putting players into protocols for something that is milder than influenza.
It is not yet clear that omicron COVID-19 is milder than influenza. In fact, plenty of data suggests that omicron is much more deadly than influenza. Look at the countries whose hospitals are being overrun. Does influenza cause that, despite an effective vaccine available against it?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Even if it is *only* as deadly as the flu, if the transmission rate is 30x the flu, then it will overrun hospitals and end up killing more people as a result. All of our data is only like 4 weeks old, so we really don't know much of anything yet.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wow, wait, how can this be true? Is this a breakthrough?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

If it's as good as being reported, it must be FREE to all US citizens and partial profits from any sale of it should be returned to the taxpayers. Although, I'd be fully on board with the US distributing it worldwide, free of cost.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Split T wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:47 pm
As far as basketball is concerned I could see them moving towards a vaccinated/boostered players just don’t test unless they have symptoms. Zach Lowe had Dr. Robby Sikka on his podcast today who said the nba doesn’t need to pause. They are a near 100% vaccinated population and I believe he said 60% are boostered.

My own thoughts now, but as that boostered number jumps into the 90% range, I’d have no problem if they decided to stop testing boostered players and only test non boostered players.
I thought I read where a good chunk of the people with the new strain don’t even know they have it. You feel fine and yet you are spreading it. Perfect. Two weeks ago there was one case. A week ago the new variant was in single digits %wise. Now it’s totally dominating the new cases. That seems lightning fast to me.

I did notice a lot more people going back to wearing masks in places like grocery stores etc. I got my booster shot and the flu shot at the same time a couple of weeks ago. I have been trying to wear a mask as much as possible in public. I unfortunately play at a super spreader event tomorrow.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Interestingly Trump seems to be actively praising the vaccines now. Honestly I think it's great that he does this. I'm curious what the reaction will be. Will anti vaxxer morons turn against Trump over this?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:59 am
Interestingly Trump seems to be actively praising the vaccines now. Honestly I think it's great that he does this. I'm curious what the reaction will be. Will anti vaxxer morons turn against Trump over this?

He's ALWAYS praised the vax. You actually believe it was a pivot just now? It was Biden and Harris that didn't trust it at first because Trump pushed it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I know it's much more highly contagious, but this is at least good news about it. I heard that instead of infecting you deep in the lungs, which is much more deadly, it sits in the bronchial tubes and doesn't fully get to the lungs, which makes it much less deadly and easier to recover from. Feel free to correct me on that if it's wrong.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:58 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:47 pm
As far as basketball is concerned I could see them moving towards a vaccinated/boostered players just don’t test unless they have symptoms. Zach Lowe had Dr. Robby Sikka on his podcast today who said the nba doesn’t need to pause. They are a near 100% vaccinated population and I believe he said 60% are boostered.

My own thoughts now, but as that boostered number jumps into the 90% range, I’d have no problem if they decided to stop testing boostered players and only test non boostered players.
I thought I read where a good chunk of the people with the new strain don’t even know they have it. You feel fine and yet you are spreading it. Perfect. Two weeks ago there was one case. A week ago the new variant was in single digits %wise. Now it’s totally dominating the new cases. That seems lightning fast to me.

I did notice a lot more people going back to wearing masks in places like grocery stores etc. I got my booster shot and the flu shot at the same time a couple of weeks ago. I have been trying to wear a mask as much as possible in public. I unfortunately play at a super spreader event tomorrow.
You can get this too now.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

You're darn right it's a pivot. Just listen to his mixed crowd reaction. That tells the whole story.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:28 am
You're darn right it's a pivot. Just listen to his mixed crowd reaction. That tells the whole story.
If you're saying the people in the audience, then perhaps you have a point. Mori was speaking directly to Trump "praising the vaccines now."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Trump praised the vaccines from the start. He went along with funding the research and took credit for the vaccines when they came out. He is pretty committed to them. His base is definitely not into the vaccines and went along with the conspiracy theories about them.

I don’t think Biden and Harris were ever against vaccines. They didn’t trust Trump for sure and wanted to make sure the vaccines were safe and effective before rushing them out. Right wingers posted an edited video trying to make it seem as if they were against vaccines. It was labeled on Facebook as false.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 ... nes-not-v/
Video clips appear to show Joe Biden and Kamala Harris raising doubts about COVID-19 vaccines, but they were raising concerns about the rollout by then-President Donald Trump, not the vaccines themselves.

President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris have been pushing Americans to get inoculated against COVID-19. But a video on social media suggests that they actually had reservations about the safety of the vaccines.

"Keep doubting, They actually said this, it’s not editing," says the heading on the video, which contains clips of statements made by Biden and Harris appearing to cast doubt on the vaccine while they were campaigning last year.

In fact, the clips are selectively edited to take the statements out of context. The parts that are left out make clear that Biden and Harris were raising questions not about the vaccines themselves, but about then-President Donald Trump’s rollout of the vaccines and the risk that the effort would become rushed or politicized.

The TikTok video was posted on TikTok on May 11 and we found it was still being widely shared on Facebook in mid-July, more than a month after it was reposted there.

A June 15 Facebook post showing the video was flagged as part of Facebook’s efforts to combat false news and misinformation on its News Feed.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Didn't we get an admittance in court recently from Facebook that their factcheckers are just opinion?

Yes, they said that they wouldn't trust Trump, if he said that the vaccines were safe. Seems to me that they pivoted and now don't trust Trump saying it, but trust the Dr. and scientists that said it's safe.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Yeah, sure, it's Biden and Harris's fault that people aren't taking the vax. Then how do you explain why you yourself won't take it, In2? Do you agree with evil Biden and Harris now, and go against Trump who supposedly bigly endorsed the vax from day one?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

All social media banned Trump because in their opinion he lied too much.

Trump says get the vaccine.
Biden says get the vaccine.
Harris says get the vaccine.

Going way back in time trying to fabricate them being against the vaccine is a waste of time.

Right now today the CDC says get the vaccine.
Right now today Trump says get the vaccine.
Right now today Biden says get the vaccine.
Right now today Harris says get the vaccine.

Get the vaccine

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:51 pm
Yeah, sure, it's Biden and Harris's fault that people aren't taking the vax. Then how do you explain why you yourself won't take it, In2? Do you agree with evil Biden and Harris now, and go against Trump who supposedly bigly endorsed the vax from day one?
I didn't say that it was Biden and Harris's fault, or assign blame to anyone.

I've explained many times why I am not taking it. I don't see the need. I got covid last yr, got over it, along with everyone in my family and nearly all the families and people in my circle. I haven't been sick since, and the actual good data out of Israel, who track natural immunity, says that it's much higher and lasts much longer than the vaccine efficacy. Testing my antibodies recently said that they were as high as ever, so no need.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:11 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:51 pm
I didn't say that it was Biden and Harris's fault, or assign blame to anyone.

I've explained many times why I am not taking it. I don't see the need. I got covid last yr, got over it, along with everyone in my family and nearly all the families and people in my circle. I haven't been sick since, and the actual good data out of Israel, who track natural immunity, says that it's much higher and lasts much longer than the vaccine efficacy. Testing my antibodies recently said that they were as high as ever, so no need.
How does that explain the massive discrepancy in hospitalizations, severe illness, and death amongst the unvaccinated? You're cool with that risk, it sounds like. Have you lost any family or friends that were vaccinated or unvaccinated to Covid and what has that number looked like in both directions? My mom has had far too many family and friends (most near and below the poverty line) in Winslow, AZ where she was born and raised, that have died and weren't vaccinated. I'm talking about more than 10, which is big for such a small town. I don't understand the mentality when you are facing a stark reality and refusing to go in the direction of science and facts.

I hope you and your family and friends are able to dodge a massive bullet with natural immunity and avoiding a vaccination. Regardless of us not agreeing completely on things over the years, I consider you a friend on .net In2ition. I'd hate for an avoidable situation to happen :(
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

My brother and his wife didn’t think the vaccine did anything and refused it too. He spent 2 weeks in the hospital with Covid and still hasn’t been back to work yet after being out of the hospital for a week or so.

Our friend that that we buried a week and a half ago that didn’t get the vaccine and died on a ventilator didn’t believe in the vaccine either.

I see a little of your logic inf. You already got Covid and it was a mild case like mine and now you feel invincible. Not everyone has a mild case and those who haven’t had Covid and refuse a shot are playing Russian roulette.